I need to build ATX Desktop soon.. any ideas on case???

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

thegoldenstrand

I need to build ATX Desktop soon.. any ideas on case???

Post by thegoldenstrand » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi,

I have been waiting and waiting for the ATX version of the NSK 2400/2480.. hoping to see improvements to what Mike Chin shared, but.. the wait is getting to be too long and I need to build that Desktop now or very soon.

I am looking for case that has better airflow than Silverstone LC-17 and that has airflow similar to and design similar to.. the Antec MAX Fusion or whatever the ATX Desktop version was or is to be called.

What are the best ATX Desktop cases out there for air flow and quiet? I would prefer the height be in the 7 inch range so I could fit S1's and other cooler for video cards without breaking a sweat and plenty of room for longer video cards. :lol:

Mike

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat May 03, 2008 2:05 pm

If size is not a limitation, well, you have lots of choices. None of these have the same efficiency of airflow/cooling as a Fusion set up well, but they can certainly be made to work. (note - by expensive, I mean >$300)

Silverstone CW02 -- 120mm fan, huge, expensive
Silverstone CW03 -- 2x80mm fans, huge, expensive
Origen S16 seris -- 2x80mm fans, big, expensive
Moneual MonCaso -- 2x80mm fans, big, expensive
Omaura FT11 -- 2x80mm fans, sold thru Dell for $220 (this could be a winner)

thegoldenstrand

Thanks Mike!

Post by thegoldenstrand » Sat May 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Thanks Mike,

I checked out most of those cases.... expensive..

for most of my family and friend set ups I have or will be putting together.. Budget is more like Silverstone LC-17. price.. sub $150. I am just hoping that Antec puts out a plain Jane version of the larger NSK 2400/2480... I don't need all that bling and don't want to pay for it. Is it true these new cases should be out by July? I really like the nsk 2400, easy to work on, just take the cover off. Any update if Antec will widen case 5mm to accomodate full 25 mm wide fan instead of 20 mm you had pics of in your thread on new case?

Mike

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell » Wed May 07, 2008 10:14 am

Have you looked at the Cooler Master Media 280? Yes, it has one major quirt, the CD/DVD drive bay stealth door is a POS, and only works with a few specific drives. Most do not line up properly (i.e. the tray is too high and hits the faceplate, and not the part that pushes out), and most others the drive door catches on the tray as it tries to retract, and causes the drive to abort the close operation.

Aside from that one glaring issue, it is a REALLY nice desktop case, with space for 4 120mm fans, so you can run them a very low speed and have good air movement, and you can even fit some of the largest CPU heatsinks in it, like the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme, or other very tall heatsinks. It also has room for 5 hard drives, and 3 optical disks (for those of you with a blu-ray, and hd-dvd rom drives, and still want to fit a DVD burner in there...).

Also only $130 at directron....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed May 07, 2008 10:29 am

Fallen Kell wrote:Have you looked at the Cooler Master Media 280?
I agree, this case looks workable. But I don't know that it has any better airflow design than the Silverstones -- which are OK, but could be better, and look better (imo). The Fusion Max should be better than all of the ones mentioned... assuming reasonable clearance on the sides. Actually that last comment applies to all HTPC cases and systems: They need breathing room all around, and anyone who does not take this into account will run into overheating issues sooner or later.

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell » Wed May 07, 2008 10:39 am

Well, it most definitely has better airflow than my Silverstone LC-10M that I had. I dropped at least 4-5C and my sound dropped a LOT (since with the LC-10M I needed to put a fast 92mm fan on the front intake, and even then it was still choking because of how restricted the intake was setup).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed May 07, 2008 11:04 am

Fallen Kell wrote:Well, it most definitely has better airflow than my Silverstone LC-10M that I had. I dropped at least 4-5C and my sound dropped a LOT (since with the LC-10M I needed to put a fast 92mm fan on the front intake, and even then it was still choking because of how restricted the intake was setup).
That's an earlier design which precedes the LC16-20, GD01, etc, which are much better for airflow.

thegoldenstrand

I looked at the Coolermaster 282 at Frys

Post by thegoldenstrand » Thu May 08, 2008 11:42 am

Anyway to remove those feet (on the coolermaster case)? I do like a larger desktop with more room.. and did take a good look at it.. could use a little smoother outside look, more industrial imo.. but nice case, but my preference would be for a wider rather than the deeper case that Coolermaster has come up with.

But.. those feet would drive the women in my life nuts. Can they be easily removed(and look good)?

Hoping the new larger version of NSK 2400/2480 is available without all the bling for reasonable price for the new Fusion Max.

Mike
Last edited by thegoldenstrand on Sat May 10, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell » Thu May 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Which feet, the LC-17 or the CM Media 280? I know the Media's feet can be removed because you can orient the case for either mid-tower or desktop configuration...

Fallen Kell

Post by Fallen Kell » Thu May 08, 2008 12:12 pm

MikeC wrote:
Fallen Kell wrote:Have you looked at the Cooler Master Media 280?
I agree, this case looks workable. But I don't know that it has any better airflow design than the Silverstones -- which are OK, but could be better, and look better (imo). The Fusion Max should be better than all of the ones mentioned... assuming reasonable clearance on the sides. Actually that last comment applies to all HTPC cases and systems: They need breathing room all around, and anyone who does not take this into account will run into overheating issues sooner or later.
I just took a look at the Fusion Max. I will say that the Cm has more intake/out options. While I like the filter system on the Max, and think that is a good idea, the additional fan mount/vent over the CPU area is a big benefit of the CM so you can have either an intake of cool air directly for the CPU (if you use a top down fan config), or have it has exhaust/vent for a fanless design....

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Fallen Kell wrote:I just took a look at the Fusion Max. I will say that the Cm has more intake/out options. While I like the filter system on the Max, and think that is a good idea, the additional fan mount/vent over the CPU area is a big benefit of the CM so you can have either an intake of cool air directly for the CPU (if you use a top down fan config), or have it has exhaust/vent for a fanless design....
The CPU area in the FM has a 120mm fan and a 140mm fan very nearby. I'd say that's more than adequate. Fanless CPU cooling only means you don't have a fan directly on the CPU cooler, but you're bound to have them elsewhere anyway in a system that would go into such a case. Besides, these days CPU heat is not an issue when you can use a huge heatsink (as in these big cases). More important, imo, is VGA cooling -- the FM lets you blow a 120mm intake fan between two full length DS10 cards. Also, the HDDs get very well cooled because they are in the inflow path of the exhaust fans.