Antec Stanza

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

falke
Friend of SPCR

Antec Stanza

Post by falke » Thu May 15, 2008 11:54 am

Sorry if this has been mentioned. I came across the Antec Stanza on this site. Looks like an updated version of the NSK2480.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu May 15, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm sure it is since it's labeled "NSK2580".

Now for an English link... :P

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:59 pm

That's an improvement over the NSK2480, which looks like a desktop PC from the mid-nineties (in other words, not something you'd want on display beneath the TV in your living room). I suppose an all-black version would be too much to ask... ?

I have to say, whatever the merits of Antec cases, styling doesn't seem to figure very highly on their list of priorities - the P182 is OK in its way, but IMHO "uninspiring" or even "drab" covers all the others. The entire NSKxxxx range in particular leaves me deeply depressed. :(

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Thu May 15, 2008 3:31 pm

nick705 wrote:That's an improvement over the NSK2480, which looks like a desktop PC from the mid-nineties (in other words, not something you'd want on display beneath the TV in your living room). I suppose an all-black version would be too much to ask... ?
I think all HTPC cases suffer from looking like big VHS players from years ago. Making them shorter would help, but then youd be forced to use half height PCI cards, power supplies and heatsinks, and that would put off alot of customers.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Thu May 15, 2008 4:27 pm

...And then they will look like DVD-players :D (see the GMC AVC-7S for starters)

As far as I'm concerned I prefer my HTPC-case simple and made of aluminum. So far I've only seen one VHS-player with an aluminum front bezel and it was a studio recorder worth 5 k€ or something. Not too serious problem, then.

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu May 15, 2008 8:21 pm

nick705 wrote:That's an improvement over the NSK2480, which looks like a desktop PC from the mid-nineties (in other words, not something you'd want on display beneath the TV in your living room).
It depends on what you compare to/where it is put. The 2480 is almost exactly the size of my AV receiver, so it looks ok near it. I'd still take the Fusion, if not for the stupid volume knob, so the 2580 looks like it's made for me.
nick705 wrote: I have to say, whatever the merits of Antec cases, styling doesn't seem to figure very highly on their list of priorities - the P182 is OK in its way, but IMHO "uninspiring" or even "drab" covers all the others.
It's a matter of taste, but I really like that particular minimalistic design, especially the black & white version of the P180. The Sonata series, and the X-Hundred ones are nice, too.
nick705 wrote: The entire NSKxxxx range in particular leaves me deeply depressed. :(
Cheap(er) as they come, how's that a surprise? ;)

Lensman

Post by Lensman » Thu May 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Speaking of the NSK line, has anyone heard what happened to the NSK1480? It seems to have come to market very, very briefly and then disappeared.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Modo wrote: It's a matter of taste, but I really like that particular minimalistic design, especially the black & white version of the P180. The Sonata series, and the X-Hundred ones are nice, too.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I prefer Darth Vader helmet designs with flashing lights aimed at 12-yr-olds.

It's just that Antec's particular brand of minimalism never quite hits the mark, for me at least... whether it's the Solo's cheap-looking stuck-on silver aluminium "veneer" and crass "piano black" panels, the NSK's nasty faux-aluminium plastic fascias, even the P18x's messy detailing in some areas. I always get the impression that they have a designer who tries hard, but at the end of the day just doesn't have that flair which can turn a functional item into an object of desire.

I don't think it's impossible to combine mimimalistic design with a genuinely classy appearance - for example, Lian Li and Silverstone usually manage it (with a few unfortunate abberations), even with their cheaper models.

It's all a matter of taste though, as you say, and I guess there are more important considerations when all's said and done... sighs...

nick705

Post by nick705 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:31 pm

Modo wrote: It's a matter of taste, but I really like that particular minimalistic design, especially the black & white version of the P180. The Sonata series, and the X-Hundred ones are nice, too.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I prefer Darth Vader helmet designs with flashing lights aimed at 12-yr-olds.

It's just that Antec's particular brand of minimalism never quite hits the mark, for me at least... whether it's the Solo's cheap-looking stuck-on silver aluminium "veneer" and crass "piano black" panels, the NSK's nasty faux-aluminium plastic fascias, even the P18x's messy detailing in some areas. I always get the impression that they have a designer who tries hard, but at the end of the day just doesn't have that flair which can turn a functional item into an object of desire.

I don't think it's impossible to combine mimimalistic design with a genuinely classy appearance - for example, Lian Li and Silverstone usually manage it (with a few unfortunate abberations), even with their cheaper models.
Modo wrote: Cheap(er) as they come, how's that a surprise? :wink:
The NSK models aren't exactly aimed at the top-end of the market, admittedly, but IMHO they're an eyesore even when compared with other makes in the same price bracket.

It's all a matter of taste though, as you say, and I guess there are more important considerations when all's said and done... sighs...