Granite Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Granite Case

Post by blackworx » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 am

I've always fantasised about being able to use granite or similar to make a pair of ridiculously heavy, inert loudspeaker cabinets, but this guy's used it to make a PC case...

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2008/05 ... m-may-08/5

Lots of opportunity for silencing (e.g. hard-mounting HD's would make zero difference, as long as there wasn't a direct sound path out of the case) but silencing doesn't seem to be a focus of the project.

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:07 am

So much potential, so MEH result.. Too bad. Normal ATX-layout, fan holes all over the place... Yeah well, I guess if the material is the main thing then it's OK, but I don't get it TBH.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:43 am

Yeah, if I was investing that much time, effort, tooling (and presumably money) in a case made of granite I'd like to think I could come up with something a bit more interesting than an ATX layout. Granted, without serious skills you are limited to a boxy design, but there's still plenty scope for, um... creative boxiness?!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Reverse ATX with 120mm fan places and without ugly sidewindow... Then I might take it.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:15 pm

Is that supposed to increase value of the house, like granite countertops? :lol:

fri2219

Kind of wondering about the choice of granite

Post by fri2219 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Natural thermal sink, great sound resonator, heavy as heck.

yukon

Post by yukon » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:09 am

Not too bad. Esthetically, it's excellent and impressive. From an engineering standpoint, very poor, as has been noted. The windows will leak noise. There's a lot of holes in the case, and are those 80mm fans and a 60mm fan? For comparison they use a cellphone, but the EMI leaking from the case could interfere with it's reception, or the cellphone tower signal could easily interfere with the hardware since it is not shielded. I've worked with granite, and while it is solid as a rock, it's also fragile while simultaneously heavy; if a part falls over, it can shatter. It isn't the ideal material for a computer case (metal weighs less, electronically shields, is more workable, lighter, more durable, and standard). Some of that was admitted in the article.

On the other hand, if Caesar had a PC, it would look something like that.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:44 am

Keep things in perspective guys, this never appears to have been designed as a "silent" or even quite PC case. He just wanted to make an ATX case out of granite, and it looks to me like it pulled it off quite well.

All things considered, I think it's a very nicely done case. Of course it doesn't hurt to have the services of a stone cutting company at your full disposal!

Yomat

Post by Yomat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:11 am

The windows wasnt a good option. For noice insulation nor for estetics.

Although if I built something that workintense I would also go for a conservative layout that is known to be functional. Better to try crazy design ideas with prototype material.

alphadogg

Post by alphadogg » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

Wow! Portable and toddler-friendly in one eye-pleasing package!

(Sarcasm intended. :wink: )

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:33 pm

I did this with speaker cabinets years ago. But better stuff to use is Corian or Caesarstone. PaperStone(tons easier to work with - similar to HDF) would also work. Starbucks uses this stuff for their counter tops, btw. It's *TONS* cheaper than the other options.

Well, relatively speaking. He'd still end up spending $300-$500 for a case made out of it, about the same as granite, but it's machinable and much tougher.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:02 pm

In his worklog he states he got the granite for free, as it was just laying around.

The reason for 80 mm fans as opposed to 120 mm fans: in his parents' shop there are no 120 mm diamond drills.
There are 120 mm fans in the case (front), and he decided to drill holes there.

The project took nearly 2 years (!) to complete...