Alternate cooling for P180

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Exel

Alternate cooling for P180

Post by Exel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:50 am

I'm thinking of replacing the TriCool fans of my P180 with quieter models. Nexus is my number one candidate at this point, as it's reputable but cheap, but reading on SPCR that sleeve bearings are not recommended for horizontal mounting I'm having doubts about it.

What have you P180 owners used as a replacement for the P180 top exhaust fan? Anyone have any experiences with the Nexus in that position?

thunderpeteii

Post by thunderpeteii » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Many p180 users don't even use the top exhaust, but block it off.

I however use a 500rpm slipstream. In each of the exhaust locations.

I'm not certain about the prices in finland though, but i believe in the states the slipstream is cheaper.

good luck

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 pm

I had a really slow (5v) Yate Loon up there, which should be approximately the same as a moderately under-volted Nexus (7v? 9?). It didn't make much (if any) difference when I experimented with stopping the fan up there. I never got around to trying the top vent as an intake, though. Right now I have the top vent quasi-blocked off with some open cell (I think that's what it's called) foam.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:52 pm

for the best fool-proof solution IMO, use 800rpm s-flex in the horizontal positions in your case, and 800rpm slipstream in the vertical ones.

Slipstream is the all-star of case fans, and s-flex probably likes horizontal high-heat situations better.

If you want more customized results with more flexibility, use the 1200rpm versions of these fans with voltage adjustment, such as with four 5-11v zalman fanmate2.

Exel

Post by Exel » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:10 pm

Availability of Scythes is very poor in Finland, and the few models that are available are usually high-pressure heatsink fans. I haven't seen a single Slipstream available anywhere, and postal order would raise the price considerably. That's why I'm thinking about the Nexus, as it seems to be the best budget fan available.

Luminair

Post by Luminair » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 am

Yate Loon / Nexus are both better than tricools, so go for it!

I've used sleeve fans horizontally and they made strange noises. But my horizontal ball yate loon also makes some (more) quiet noises horizontally. Soooo... take from that what you will

merlyn
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by merlyn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:09 am

IMHO the horizontal mounting recommendation is more meant for people that will never look at their fan speeds/temps again after installation. The audience here tend to be modders/techies/tinkerers that would either monitor their fans or change their design often. I rarely mount fans horizontally myself but this is by design. If you check out the gallery there are plenty of examples of horizontally mounted fans.

I love nexus fans, been using them for a long time. wouldn't call them budget though unless the price has dropped recently ;) be careful, some of them don't start reliably at 5v, I usually use 7v or a fanmate.

Exel

Post by Exel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 am

What's the easiest way to undervolt a Nexus? I wouldn't want to spend dozens of euros to get a front panel fan controller, but I also don't like the idea of tinkering with the wirings on connectors. Someone mentioned Zalman resistors that would do the trick, what exactly are those?

Oh, and Nexus is a budget fan compared to Noctua. :wink:

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:10 am

Scythe Slipstreams are available at www.coolputer.fi but they're still more expensive than Nexuses. If you don't mind spend almost as much with Slipstreams as you need to put in Noctua... sure.

But in the states Slipstreams are like half of the price of Noctua... *sighs* Hardware is so damn expensive in the Finland...

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:05 am

http://www.coolputer.fi/default.asp?sivuille=1

The Zalman Fanmate is the way to go. Definitely better than dozens of Euros.

EIDT: It looks like they have some non-variable resistors, too:
http://www.coolputer.fi/tiedot.asp?t=1749
http://www.coolputer.fi/tiedot.asp?t=1750

Exel

Post by Exel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:05 pm

So...

10€ for Nexus
16€ for Slipstream
19€ for S-Flex
20€ for Noctua

The only one's I wouldn't need to undervolt with resistors are the 800rpm Slipstream and the Noctua that comes with a low-volt adapter as standard. So that makes it 13€ for Nexus and 22€ for S-Flex. Still an advantage for Nexus, but not much over the Slipstream. Tough call.

The real question is however if I really need either the S-Flex or the Noctua for the horizontal mount?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Wow, I thought England was expensive for computer parts.

Here in the UK, I can (and did) buy Nexus fans for 5 euro's, although the rest of the fans are not much cheaper ~3 euro's.

TBH I have never really used the top fan in my P180, or any other fan in its position either, as I found I didnt need it, and it added complications due to its mounting; i.e. I couldnt use the soft silicone grommets to attach the top fan, as the front of the fan is secured in place by metal clips. This also can rattle slightly..... either way, I decided to try without soon after I got the P180, and I never looked back.

If you tell us your entire setup, we can advise you as to whether you really need the top fan at all. This could make your entire question moot, at which point you could pick whatever fans you want to cool your case, as they would all be mounted vertically.

Andy

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Hello,

Again, I'll mention that I don't think the whole horizontal vs vertical mounting issue is really not an issue. I have used sleeve bearing fans in a horizontal position with no issues whatsoever.

What kind of bearing is in the S-Flex? I think whatever they call it, it is a variation on the sleeve bearing.

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:28 pm

Hi,

I've used Nexus as top exhaust by 3 months without any problems. Now this same fan is in my PSU - another 6 months. So, 9 months horizontaly and no single problem.

As others advised - top exhaust is not needed in P180 if you don't do OC - just remember to block it off.

Wojtek

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Even if you do OC you might not need that top vent.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:35 pm

andyb wrote:Here in the UK, I can (and did) buy Nexus fans for 5 euro's, although the rest of the fans are not much cheaper ~3 euro's.
Where? Scan adamantly resists to sell them and Novatech charges 5 quid, iirc.

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm

That's true but I used it just 'in case' when crossed red line - 3.6GHz - with my trusty E6600. I prefer to stay on the safe side...

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:39 pm

I got 2 today from Aria - 4.11 each

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:58 pm

sandman7777

Post by sandman7777 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:49 pm

In my P-180B I use the 1200rpm Scythe Sony fluid bearing fans and an 1600rpm rear exhaust by Scythe plus am try cool on modded side panel, plus a Noctua 1300rpm in top exhaust and an 80mm Noctuua in the bottom 2 optical drive slots intake also and this case run's nice and cool and quit with the use of Fan-mates for fan rpm control. X-1283 on CPU with stock fan.

Exel

Post by Exel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:15 am

What's the easiest (non-permanent) solution for blocking off the top vent?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:56 am

I used black duct tape, from the outside. Doesn't look great, but since the case is under my desk with my cable modem and router on it that doesn't matter. :)

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:06 am

Exel wrote:What's the easiest (non-permanent) solution for blocking off the top vent?
Useless books offer themselves. Take a bible for instance ;)

Exel

Post by Exel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 am

wojtek wrote:I've used Nexus as top exhaust by 3 months without any problems. Now this same fan is in my PSU - another 6 months. So, 9 months horizontaly and no single problem.
Might I ask what voltage you run them on? Is 7V enough to keep them more silent than the TriCools?

I just installed a Slipstream L (800rpm) as an intake fan to get more airflow for my GPUs. It's not inaudible at the front at 12V, but at the rear its humming would be less pronounced than that of the TriCools. The Nexus on the other hand - at least on paper, according to SPCR data - would push more air and be slightly quieter at 7V, but the question is how bad the sample variance issues of the Nexus are?

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Exel wrote:
wojtek wrote:I've used Nexus as top exhaust by 3 months without any problems. Now this same fan is in my PSU - another 6 months. So, 9 months horizontaly and no single problem.
Might I ask what voltage you run them on? Is 7V enough to keep them more silent than the TriCools?
From my experience (I'm using 6 in 3 machines + 2 which found their way to the bin) Nexus is always quieter than TriCool (except Low when is acceptable). But in top position Nexus too is a little bit noisy. At 7V should be really quiet - this depends of your sample. You have to try. My proposition - use something like Akasa AK-FC-06-BK. Then you can find best ratio between noise and performance.
But first ask yourself - do I really need top fan? Please, let us know about your setup, then we can give you better advise.

One general info - I do not run ANY fan at 12V (except when OC'ing) - it's always noisy. Better use 2 fans at 7V.

Sorry about my poor written English.

Exel

Post by Exel » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 pm

A64 3800+ with Zalman 9500 and two passive 7600GTs now with a 120mm Scythe blowing air to them from the front intake. The two TriCools and the Zalman run at 5V, the Slipstream is not yet undervolted and runs at 800rpm. The Zalman is the biggest source of fan noise in the system, but the TriCools are audible as well with their low ticking buzz.

Sealing off the top vent might be an option now that I'm using an intake fan, but I'd rather use two slower rpm fans back there than one faster.

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Exel wrote:A64 3800+ with Zalman 9500 and two passive 7600GTs now with a 120mm Scythe blowing air to them from the front intake. The two TriCools and the Zalman run at 5V, the Slipstream is not yet undervolted and runs at 800rpm. The Zalman is the biggest source of fan noise in the system, but the TriCools are audible as well with their low ticking buzz.

Sealing off the top vent might be an option now that I'm using an intake fan, but I'd rather use two slower rpm fans back there than one faster.
Now we are a little bit beyond my experience - I have never used two GPU's. My single passive 7600GS doesn't add much heat - I do not playing modern games - so I don't need even intake fan. This is what I can advise:

1. skip Zalman - Ninja + Nexus PWM if you need. This is what I'm using since 3-4 months. Nexus is at 360-420 rpm by the most of time and then is silent. Problem is only at above 800rpm - when OC'ing.

2. skip those TriCools's - I was really impressed by difference when switched to Nexus! I think that you should just try which setup will work for you better - 1 Nexus at 9V (back) or 2 at 7V (back and top). From my experience second (top) fan doesn't make big difference under normal usage - 2-3 degrees for CPU when Ninja was passive - but adding noise above 9V.

3. Try mount some way intake fan like in newer P180 - if you have enough space between GPU and HDD cage

4. If you didn't do this already - cut out grills from intake and back fan. Then single (back) Nexus at 9V will be not so annoying. This simple mod made big difference in my rig.

5. mod plastic grill on the front

Wojtek

Suosaaski

Post by Suosaaski » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:36 pm

Exel, you can get Nexus for 4,80 eur here

Suosaaski

Post by Suosaaski » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:41 pm

Exel wrote:What's the easiest (non-permanent) solution for blocking off the top vent?
Antec NSK2400 came with a plate to block one 120mm vent. I wonder if they are available as spare parts...

Exel

Post by Exel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:49 am

Suosaaski wrote:Exel, you can get Nexus for 4,80 eur here
I will be eternally grateful to you for that one. 8)