SFF Case Choices for Home Server

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Scottr

Post by Scottr » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:25 pm

I’m working on the components choices for my WHS build and I’m stuck on which case to use. Initially, I’m going to use two 750GB drives (the current sweet spot for $/GB) and want space for a third drive down the road. The server will be sitting on a credenza directly behind my office chair. I want it too look more like an appliance, rather than another mid-tower computer. Also, because of its placement, it needs to be quiet. So, I’m committed to a SFF cube style case. Here’s some pro’s and con’s:

Antec NSK1380 Pro's: Size and style Con's: Potential PS noise, adequate cooling?

Aerocool M40 Pro's: Style, front display and cooling options Con's: Limited CPU cooler height

Silverstone SG02B-F Pro's: Good HD cooling Con's: Limited CPU cooler height

Thermaltake LANBOX Lite Pro's: Modular design Con's: Largest of the SFF cases. Small rear fans - more noise?

Apevia X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Pro's: Cheap! Front display Con's: Potential PS noise, adequate cooling? Case quality?

I would appreciate comments to help my decision along.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Welcome To SPCR
Antec NSK1380 Pro's: Size and style Con's: Potential PS noise, adequate cooling?
The drives get warmer than most cases, I wouldnt want to put 2-3 drives in there personally, I cant coment on the other cases.

You are going to have an uphill struggle finding a case that doesnt have more Con's than Pro's and is small. They all have limitations due to their size, why not get a mini tower and tuck it away behind something so the looks are irrelevant.
WHS build
Why WHS.???

Andy

Scottr

Post by Scottr » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 am

Thank you for your comments. If I had space to tuck it away, I would certainly go with the Mid-tower. But, I don't have the space. That's why I'm looking at the SFF cases. I'll agree with you on the Antec NSK1380 - cooling would be an issue with 2-3 drives in it. This case is probably best for low performance desktop use. The other cases are typically used as LAN party boxes - higher end CPUs and graphics cards. If they can handle that, they should be OK for a low to mid end CPU and MOBO video (no add-in graphics cards) for a server application.

I'm going with MS WHS because it covers my needs (I have 4 computers to backup, printer server, streaming music and potentially streaming video down the road). Also, there's lots of add-ins available. I looked at linux solutions. But, it was going to take a lot more research and time to put together a solution. I haven't used unix/linux since I got out of engineering about 5 years ago.

Regards, Scott

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 am

I recently built a small media server using the NSK1300 (same as the NSK1380, except PSU is not 80plus). I would personally recommend this case with a few caveats:

1) Replace stock PSU with PicoPSU/PW-200-V/-M
I think this is a must. The design of the stock PSU is horrible for airflow, as it basically does nothing to exhaust the heat. Air flows in straight from the hole in the top and out the back. The stock PSU might be fine for a very low power CPU and maybe 1 drive, but your 3 drives will be starved for air. Plus, the stock PSU really limits your CPU heatsink options to low profile ones with a fan on it. With the PSU on, you're free to mount a 120mm quiet intake fan, which gives awesome airflow because the case is so small.

2) Very hard to work with.
This was the hardest case I've had to work with, no doubt about it. Especially if you like to fold/hide your cables out of the way. There's very little room in there and it took lots of patience to get through it.

Overall though, the ability to have a 120mm intake fan and being the smallest mATX case makes up for everything.

jessekopelman

Re: SFF Case Choices for Home Server

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm

Scottr wrote:The other cases are typically used as LAN party boxes - higher end CPUs and graphics cards.
Yes and their typical users don't care at all about noise. I know from experience that the X-QPack is very noisy due to flimsy panels. I think in general SFF have flimsy panels and the use of suspension is probably needed for silencing, but is that possible for multiple drives in such a small space!?

KyonCoraeL

Post by KyonCoraeL » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 pm

What about a Silverstone SG-03?

Also, I convinced my friend into buying an Aerocool M40.. It's bigger than you think. I fit a Ninja Mini into his computer a few months ago. I didn't like how there was no airflow from the 120mm going through the harddrive. However, there is a place in front of the hard drive for a 60mm fan.

I wouldn't recommend getting the aerocool m40, it's more like a brick than a cube.