Is this case damping good?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

razorxx

Is this case damping good?

Post by razorxx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:49 am

Ive bought myself som casedamping.. I cut one piece and i saw that it would touch the motherboard in some places.. Is that dangerous?

This is a picture of the damping material..
http://www.biltema.se/products/product. ... emId=87657

You think it can shortcircuit my computer? (dont know if thats the right word :D)

Or will it maybe get to hot?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 am

It might cause problems, mainly with ESD (statisk elektricitet) when you physically (dis-)mount the motherboard. Other than that, no problems.

At the same time I fail to see how it could get in touch with the mobo in the first place. You should attach it only to the insides of the (outer) side, top and bottom covers.

Cheers
Olle

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:18 am

Olle P wrote:It might cause problems, mainly with ESD (statisk elektricitet) when you physically (dis-)mount the motherboard. Other than that, no problems.

At the same time I fail to see how it could get in touch with the mobo in the first place. You should attach it only to the insides of the (outer) side, top and bottom covers.

Cheers
Olle
hej på dig olle :)

I want to put damping in the bottom of the case.. cover as much spaces as possible. Ive seen a few guys who has done that in this forum... so you dont think i should do it?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 am

Touching the motherboard will not be a problem if you case is secured properly to the motherboard standoffs.

Static buildup can present problems, but again, if you case is properly grounded, no worries there. Just be sure you ground yourself to the case before touching anything inside.

Just be aware that that foam won't really do much on it's own. If it is laminated to a heavy/dense layer of bitumen/vinyl material, it will be much more effective. Foam on it's own, really one disperses some of the very high frequency noise, preventing reflections, but it's not all that effective on it's own. Of more effect is when it's used to isolate different parts of the case, by placing it in the joints or points of contact (between side panels and main chassis, between fans and chassis, and between drives and chassis).

The foam should not add to temperature to any noticeable degree, unless your case is warm to the touch on the outside.

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:03 am

jhhoffma wrote:Touching the motherboard will not be a problem if you case is secured properly to the motherboard standoffs.

Static buildup can present problems, but again, if you case is properly grounded, no worries there. Just be sure you ground yourself to the case before touching anything inside.

Just be aware that that foam won't really do much on it's own. If it is laminated to a heavy/dense layer of bitumen/vinyl material, it will be much more effective. Foam on it's own, really one disperses some of the very high frequency noise, preventing reflections, but it's not all that effective on it's own. Of more effect is when it's used to isolate different parts of the case, by placing it in the joints or points of contact (between side panels and main chassis, between fans and chassis, and between drives and chassis).
Okay.. Well heres atleast some pictures of how i meant.

http://hem.passagen.se/razorx/11.jpg
http://hem.passagen.se/razorx/22.jpg
http://hem.passagen.se/razorx/44.jpg
http://hem.passagen.se/razorx/55.jpg

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:21 am

How thick must the bitumen be? Ive got some really thin bitumen lying here at home..

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Just make sure you're not covering up any coils or heatsinks and you'll be fine. Though you may want to trim it a little at the edges.

As for the bitumen (beware of the stink), the heavier it is, the better. If it's thin, just layer it to get a mass that passes the "thunk test". That's where you flick or tap the case panel with your finger and see if it goes "ping" (bad), "bang" (better), or "thunk" (good).

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:47 am

jhhoffma wrote:Just make sure you're not covering up any coils or heatsinks and you'll be fine. Though you may want to trim it a little at the edges.

As for the bitumen (beware of the stink), the heavier it is, the better. If it's thin, just layer it to get a mass that passes the "thunk test". That's where you flick or tap the case panel with your finger and see if it goes "ping" (bad), "bang" (better), or "thunk" (good).
hehe okey :) thx alot.

So i should put bitumen.. then ontop of that put that damping i got right?
Or should they be put att diffrent places?

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:48 am

On top is good. Only thing with that absorbent is that it might be too soft... Not really sure about that.

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 am

CyberDog wrote:On top is good. Only thing with that absorbent is that it might be too soft... Not really sure about that.
you think its to soft? But ive seen other cases with the same kind of damping? atleast it looks the same :)

its kinda thick..

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:28 am

I don't know. I haven't seen that biltema stuff on real. What softer it is the higher sounds it absorpts. But it can't do any harm ;) And if you said it's a stiff so it would probably work.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 am

The A8N-SLI Deluxe... nice board. Brings back memories from so long ago in.... 2005/2006.

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:19 pm

I was thinking... should i make a own channel for the psu?
Maybe dividing it from the rest of the computer so it would not get warm air from the cpu?

Or is that unnecessary?

im halfway now with the bitumen part :D

the linux guy: haha :D

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am

If your PSU doesn't ramp up then it's not necessary.

razorxx

Post by razorxx » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm

CyberDog wrote:If your PSU doesn't ramp up then it's not necessary.
How do i find out if it does?

http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=04650

Thats the psu that comes with my antec sonata case..

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:10 pm

A PSU "ramps up" (increases fan speed) under higher temperatures, usually when the system is under high load, to keep it's internal components cool. If the fan speed increases, you should be able to hear it as it should get louder.

For the Earthwatts series, you'll definitely know. They are pretty quiet during low power situations, but when the do ramp up, they can get loud in a hurry (I have an EA430).

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 am

It just like jhhoffma said.