CPU heatsink for Antec Fusion uATX?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

alexh

CPU heatsink for Antec Fusion uATX?

Post by alexh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Hi,

Building a simple HTPC for a bedroom. Using Integrated video only.
I read the review here where the Zalman 7700 HSF is used.

Another reviewer recommends the Scythe SHURIKEN SCSK-1000 which has a removeable 100mm fan but I'm not sure if there are any low noise 100mm fans (none in the review on this site).

Are these good choices for this setup?

I assume it's a no-brainer to replace the 120mm case fans with Nexus or similar.

Thanks

alexh

Post by alexh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Ok,

Just saw an article on Anandtech where one commenter said the Mini-Ninja is a no-brainer. Don't need a fan on the CPU HS since the 120mm fan is right next to the HS.

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 pm

True that, Scythe Ninja Mini is the heatsink to use in an Antec Fusion, etc. case. Fits like it was designed for it. I own one and I can honestly say there is literally nothing better for the case.

alexh

Post by alexh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks Trandy,

Since you have built with this case I was wondering if the following PS is a good choice, or if it really matters -

SeaSonic S12 II SS-380GB 380W ATX12V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151032

I'm using onboard video and a 45nm dual core Intel CPU.

Also, initially I built a HTPC out of somewhat dated components I had laying around and when I put the tuner card in the x16 PCIe slot it would hang when it started the channel scan. I have also seen similar reports. I suspect this is because my MB is somewhat dated. I need to use this slot for a second tuner but on a newer MB. Of course the x1 slot worked for the tuner.

There's no reason what the x16 PCIe slot won't work for a x1 tuner, is there?

I have been using the Vista Media Center for a few months now and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Really amazing and no pesky monthly charges!

trandy1001

Post by trandy1001 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 am

Hey alexh,

For the most part, Antec NSK cases come with a pretty decent earthwatts (mostly by seasonic, some by delta). The thing is, if you do switch out to a new power supply, the cord from the atx power connector to the front VFD or LCD screen goes with it so you need to get an adapter from antec to make the front screen work. Which is a shame because the included power supply is not sheathed at all.

You would be alright with as little as 250 watts if you are sticking to integrated graphics and a 65W or less cpu. But pretty much all power supplies these days are 350+ so you shouldn't have to worry.

As for the pci-e x1 tuner in a x16 slot. I know some x16 slots will work with any pci-e component and others are videocards only. I'm not really sure how to check but there is a distinction.

alexh

Post by alexh » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks,

I thought this case had a power supply, especially at that price, but I couldn't find mention of it anywhere.