Corsair chassis

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

burebista

Corsair chassis

Post by burebista » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Here.
Looks somehow like a Lian Li one, I like black and looks promising.

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:46 am

I have no interest in ATX cases, especially ATX cases as large as this one.

That said, it looks with this case that the industry has finally borrowed another idea from SCPR: holes in the mobo tray for cable routing!

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:18 am

I keep hoping for some decent alternatives to the usual worthy-but-dull Antecs, but where so-called "quiet" cases from other manufacturers always seem to fall short is in their HDD mounting methods - so far, only the Solo and to a lesser extent the P18x seem to have got it right.

I know there are plenty of relatively easy DIY solutions, but that's not really the point...

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:26 am

How are the hard drives cooled? there is no front air intake; instead they've chosen to keep the 120mm fan blowing up between the two compartments at the bottom.

I think the case is unnecessarily large, heck there is enough space to put a PSU at the top of the case! The only use for that top space would be for a nice radiator in a WC setup blowing out those 3 exhaust holes.

For 250euro though, its not worth it (unless its paired with that kilawat corsair psu!) Its basically a P182 wana-be lol.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:24 am

Apparently there is a fan at the front: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=17431
But I can't see it.

I think it looks great but it is a beast.

aztec

Post by aztec » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:25 pm

Anyone know if they plan on releasing mATX or smaller chassis?

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:39 am

aztec wrote:Anyone know if they plan on releasing mATX or smaller chassis?
Yes, they are planning to release a smaller version of this case.
speedkar9 wrote:For 250euro though, its not worth it (unless its paired with that kilawat corsair psu!) Its basically a P182 wana-be lol.
More like 300 € :x

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:40 am

judge56988 wrote:Apparently there is a fan at the front: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=17431
But I can't see it.

There is cool air blowing into the Hd chamber from the bottom and then routed out through under the MB tray plate. The whole idea is a cooled chamber that can be accessed from the front. Notice the 4 SATA back plates that allow you to install HDDs like many NASs.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 am

The motherboard tray has a cutout section under the CPU area for easy heatsink swapping - nice!

Wish the Antec P183 had that, for that P184 I guess :(

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:28 am

nick705 wrote:I keep hoping for some decent alternatives to the usual worthy-but-dull Antecs, but where so-called "quiet" cases from other manufacturers always seem to fall short is in their HDD mounting methods - so far, only the Solo and to a lesser extent the P18x seem to have got it right.

I know there are plenty of relatively easy DIY solutions, but that's not really the point...
I guess the good news is SSDs will make all the old HD mounting method issues a non issue in a few years. Of course that doesn't make me wan't to spend money on a Corsair Obsidian 800D today.

Xobim

Post by Xobim » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 am

This case is obviously meant for gaming systes that dissipate a lot of heat. It's sheer size makes the case useless unless you've got a watercooled setup. The good thing is that the case supports 20" graphics cards! :D

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:02 am

I just can't think of any use for all that space... It's a common problem with high-end cases. Sure, you can fit a rad in there, but for non-watercoolers such cases just make absolutely no sense in my books. Full-tower cases seem like the SUVs of PC-tech :roll: Just make mid-tower cases with all the bells and whistles. Should be cheaper as well.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:08 am

Jipa wrote:I just can't think of any use for all that space... It's a common problem with high-end cases. Sure, you can fit a rad in there, but for non-watercoolers such cases just make absolutely no sense in my books. Full-tower cases seem like the SUVs of PC-tech :roll: Just make mid-tower cases with all the bells and whistles. Should be cheaper as well.
YOU can't, but many people can. People who use fast video cards and heavily overclocked processors. We are the niche, not them. And your P180 isn't exactly a mid-tower :wink:

Unfortunately (virtually) all mid-tower cases lack the necessary depth to fit larger video cards without mods.

EsaT

Post by EsaT » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:14 am

dhanson865 wrote:
nick705 wrote:I keep hoping for some decent alternatives to the usual worthy-but-dull Antecs, but where so-called "quiet" cases from other manufacturers always seem to fall short is in their HDD mounting methods - so far, only the Solo and to a lesser extent the P18x seem to have got it right.
I guess the good news is SSDs will make all the old HD mounting method issues a non issue in a few years. Of course that doesn't make me wan't to spend money on a Corsair Obsidian 800D today.
Yep, SSDs will solve HDD vibration problem...
And then make most hot swap systems and generic trays problematic, either in getting drive positioned to backplane or in attaching drive.

While Mounting methods which are based to attaching drive from its normal screw positions can take two SSDs in place of one 3.5"HDD
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... -exam.html
http://img146.imageshack.us/i/7531901.jpg/

Hypernova wrote:
judge56988 wrote:Apparently there is a fan at the front: http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=17431
But I can't see it.
There is cool air blowing into the Hd chamber from the bottom and then routed out through under the MB tray plate. The whole idea is a cooled chamber that can be accessed from the front.
I'm afraid that idea has been half-a**ed...
Does it look like that fan has much chance to push air through those few tiny holes:
http://corsair.com/products/800d/800dgallery2.jpg

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 am

Here's a preview
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/ ... -preview/1
All in all, Corsair has made an excellent first foray into the chassis market that makes for impressive competition, but we don't think Silverstone, Lian Li, Antec and Cooler Master have too much to worry about, especially if we consider the estimated price of £225 (inc. VAT). Each has their niches but don't be too surprised if the competition take some some leaves out of the new book published by Corsair in future revisions.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:32 am

Jipa wrote:I just can't think of any use for all that space...
Temporary shelter for you and the family.
Jipa wrote:It's a common problem with high-end cases.
Gamer Joe need lots of room for oversized ego.
Jipa wrote:Sure, you can fit a rad in there, but for non-watercoolers such cases just make absolutely no sense in my books.
For above demograpic, it makes lots of cents for accountant's books.
Jipa wrote:Full-tower cases seem like the SUVs of PC-tech :roll:
Good analogy! Except full tower gaming cases are not used by privileged mothers in leafy suburbs. They do however drive home the ones who do use such cases, bought by who else but aforementioned mothers on max'ed out credit card.
Jipa wrote:Just make mid-tower cases with all the bells and whistles. Should be cheaper as well.
Agree. As long as they can fit full sized boards for old fashioned people like myself who still use ATX.