Where do you keep your P182? On the floor? Any other option?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

seano

Where do you keep your P182? On the floor? Any other option?

Post by seano » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:16 am

Hopefully this is not a silly first question. :-)

Thanks to SPCR, I've got parts on order for my first custom/quiet PC. Wife & baby should notice a difference from the old P4 Dell!

Only kicker... P182 case sounds too tall/wide/heavy for most desk schemes. Current setup is a big corner desk with the case on the floor. Hoping to save some desktop space and maybe get the case of the floor. But most desks with "computer" in the name are designed for one monitor and small case.

I'm getting back to the idea of a big plain rectangular desk (not marketed for computers) and a heavy-duty cart of some sort ("cpu carts" look flimsy). Any ideas? What works for you?

xev

Post by xev » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:11 am

I have a huge regular type desk with drawers on the sides. I keep my case parallel to the wall in back. So it reduces the depth of space for my feet, but not the side area. However this way, the noise from the exhaust is more direct to my ears, so it may not be the best way in terms of sound, but it's convenient.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 am

What's wrong with having it on the floor? I have my modified P180 case on the floor and I love it there. It doesn't take up any desk area. While very quiet, it's not 100% silent, and having it on the floor is quieter than having it on the desk (my case contains 4 hard drives). What are the advantages of having it on a cart? It sits lower when it's directly on the floor rather than a cart. I use a MS wireless keyboard and mouse.

It might be SLIGHTLY more convenience to access the CD rom if it were on the desk, but this is a rare activity for me and I wouldn't want the trade offs.

Jason

yensteel

Post by yensteel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 am

I have my case on my desk. The main benefits for putting it up there are looks, and lower dust intake. The risk is noise and space.

seano

Post by seano » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks for the replies. Getting it off the floor was mainly about dust, although I'm also off to research the forum for filters and what have you (old pc got dusty faster than I could clean it sometimes).

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:46 pm

P182 is in a walk-in-closet, then 5m long Dual Link DVI cord connects the display, and USB extension cords take care of the rest.

cons:
  • I need to reach for the closet to power on the system, or rarely to insert/remove optical disk.

The machine gets a bit warmer than it would in a room.
pros:
  • Quieter.

Tidier.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:36 pm

I would put a large tower case like P18x on the floor. It's not much of a stretch to reach down for the rare times you need to load up a disc or press the reset button. I've never had a major dust problem by having cases on the floor. It would look so awkward on a desk and consume too much work space. Where the case would go if it were on my desk is where I have a printer. Tidier, quieter, and more room for other things like printouts, office junk, drinks and snacks.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:49 am

Mine's on my big corner desk. Pros and cons as mentioned before, although imho if you've got a really quiet system the extra noise from being in close proximity isn't difficult to live with.

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Mine is on the floor, plugged into a 6-gang power unit that has an electrical switch spliced into the mains power cable which is screwed to the front underside of the desk in easy reach, so I can switch the whole system off "at the wall" from my chair. Sometimes, laziness knows no bounds...

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 pm

RBBOT, you are truly a lazy bot. But an ingenious one nonetheless. Next thing you will be getting a ROBOT to do the bot work for you.

new2spcr
Friend of SPCR

Re: Where do you keep your P182? On the floor? Any other opt

Post by new2spcr » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am

seano wrote:Hopefully this is not a silly first question. :-)

Thanks to SPCR, I've got parts on order for my first custom/quiet PC. Wife & baby should notice a difference from the old P4 Dell!

Only kicker... P182 case sounds too tall/wide/heavy for most desk schemes. Current setup is a big corner desk with the case on the floor. Hoping to save some desktop space and maybe get the case of the floor. But most desks with "computer" in the name are designed for one monitor and small case.

I'm getting back to the idea of a big plain rectangular desk (not marketed for computers) and a heavy-duty cart of some sort ("cpu carts" look flimsy). Any ideas? What works for you?

On the floor, its rear end about 1 m away from where I sit. I wouldn't put it on a desk. I noticed that noise from the harddrive exits from the intake slits in the front panel's sides. If I kept my head/ear level with the slits, just at the right angle, the noise was surprisingly high.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:45 pm

I keep my P182 on floor simply due case alone is over 10 kg's empty with all hardware its nearly 20 kg's of iron, copper, aluminium, plastic and such. Floor is very good and safe option.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:23 am

P18x (14kg) + MB + HSs + FANs + EXP.CARDs + PSU + HDDs + OPTs + MISC = VERY HEAVY

Don't put it on cheap chipboard desk along with 20" CRT. And be careful when lifting or your back might be sorry. :idea:

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:14 am

the other day i noticed that when my p180b is sitting on carpet, the very bottom vent hole is completely blocked off.

sNNooPY

Post by sNNooPY » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 am

I keep my P183 (basically the same size as P182) on the floor. No problems. Less "hear-able" noise. Go for the floor!

idale

Post by idale » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:05 pm

I've got two:

The P180 housing the desktop is under the desk in typical position. Rarely vacuum in there, but the filters don't seem to accumulate extreme amounts of dust. YMMV on the dust, obviously. Easy to reach, and the desk has a decent "leg" opening, so it's not too restricted. I work on the computer under there, even.

The P182 up until recently was housing the server (now in mini-ITX form), and lived in a cabinet that we'd bought a while back to keep the computer equipment out of the way of our infant daughter (she had what used to be the "computer room", which had the cable jack for the internet connect and everything). Barely fit in there, and of course even semi-enclosed spaces aren't recommended for electronics, but it seemed to work okay for the most part (until the CPU fan died and the system would overheat even with the two TriCools on high).

mexell

Post by mexell » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:35 am

My P180 rests in an antigrav field. Fan bearings are also no more orientation sensitive this way, which is nice.

Kidding aside: It stands on the ground. But I'm not very happy about that: The kids almost tipped it over a few times while playing under the desk. Luckily nothing happened because it's too heavy.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:23 am

I have my P183 on a low (2") trolley I made out of parts from my prior computer case. It rides on the floor next to me (under the desk).
With the wheels on it it's easy to pull it out to tune the interior, and the air intake slit in the front bottom is unobscured.

Cheers
Olle

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:59 am

Olle P wrote:With the wheels on it it's easy to pull it out to tune the interior, and the air intake slit in the front bottom is unobscured.

Cheers
Olle
Are you a car mechanic by any chance? :)

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Shamgar wrote:Are you a car mechanic by any chance? :)
No, that's closer to my dad's (former) profession... 8)

Cars occasionally hurt people. Some of the devices I professionally attend can be used to help those victims survive... :)

Cheers
Olle