A star is born... and another yet to be unveiled

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

echn111

Post by echn111 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:04 pm

Not sure it's that simple. People who go for subdued, plain looking cases tend to go for Lian Li or Silverstone. Or Antec if you're on a budget.

Antec has done well in the mid-range market (the excellent 900 and 1200 cases), but gradually lost the real "plain, boring" high-end market to it's competitors. Wasn't always like this as Antec had a real chance to move up with the P series. But Antec is not considered in the same league any more at the high end.

The cheaper cases, on average, are actually the "cool" looking bling "flashy and edgy" cases . The high end now tends to be "plain, boring" (which includes Antec), but also expensive and classy (which is not Antec).

So where else for Antec to expand? The true budget market. And these cases are truely awful. A shame - was hoping for better.

mdrumt

Re: A star is born... and another yet to be unveiled

Post by mdrumt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Shamgar wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, witness the arrival of a new generation:

Is this what we can expect in future? and Wonder what all the secrecy is about?
The new generation unfortunately looks here to stay...and grow! ugh!

http://www.techpowerup.com/106392/Antec ... _Case.html

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:11 am

Oh dear! :(

The cheap, tasteless style continues. In this case I just hope they won't touch the P series. Can you imagine the new SOLO with a window and plastic girders on top? <shivers>

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 am

At least they seem to be still using sturdy .8mm steel, judging from other pictures. I don`t mind the plastic girders, they do give the case some character. But I don`t like any of the fronts we`ve seen so far. Some mention the fact that mainstream/budget users like more edgy designs. Still an edgy design should be done with taste

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:45 am

Not my cup of tea, but these cases obviously aren't being marketed to silencers. Doesn't even look like they come with any method of isolating or dampening hard drives. They're just supposed to be cheap, "cool" (definition varies, obviously) looking cases.

People are making way too big of a deal out of this. As long as they continue to make more plain and low-noise cases for us, I don't really care what they decide to market to overclockers and gamers.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:02 am

frostedflakes wrote:As long as they continue to make more plain and low-noise cases for us, I don't really care what they decide to market to overclockers and gamers.
Therein lies the rub. I think the people making the noise (myself included) are rather worried that this represents Antec moving away from the plain, low-noise cases toward the teen-appeal market.

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:08 pm

frostedflakes wrote:
People are making way too big of a deal out of this. As long as they continue to make more plain and low-noise cases for us, I don't really care what they decide to market to overclockers and gamers.
Besides revising the p180 series a few times Antec hasn't really released any midi low noise cases for us (or anyone!).

I guess im hoping they do an update (and do it right!) on the Solo. Bring on the re-Solo!