looking recomendation for a case for new PC

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

adobni

looking recomendation for a case for new PC

Post by adobni » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:13 am

I looking for a case to build a new PC. My selection of components is as follow:
procesor: Intel E8400 or E8500
motherboard: Gigabyte P45
video card: HD 4650 or HD 4850
hard drives: 2 WD Green 1 TB. Raid 1. I may add a third drive as boot drive or to go to raid 5 but I think I'll start with raid 1.

I was trying to have a silent PC that wasn't a dust magnet. So far I looked reviews for Antec SOLO, Cooler Master Sileo, Antec P183, Cooler Master HAF 922.
I haven't looked too much in power supply but I don't think there are many options in my country and have to settle for whatever is available. I may buy an Antec model.
I would like to hear comments, recommendations or suggestions.

Thanks!!!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:05 am

I'd drop the Haf922 off your list. Its purely gamer case. Other you listed are good for silent PC's.

Can you get Corsair or Enermax PSU's? Antec PSU's ( Earthwatts and such ) are good after Fan Swap.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm

The system in my sig is my second with a Solo-type case; the first was a P150 for my wife. I have another Solo waiting for a home theater build (yes, it's too big for most people, but it's lost next to large speakers), and another for a system I'm to build for my brother-in-law.

I can think of 5 or 6 ways in which the case can be improved, but it does the job, and with some forethought, can take all but the largest heatsinks and power supplies without modification. The fan grills are as unrestrictive as one could hope for short of cutting them out entirely, and my Solo and P150 systems - starting with quiet components - have been quiet enough for me, and run cool enough for me because of good case ventilation.

If you want a conventional looking, quiet case of medium size, with no door, the Solo is a satisfying choice.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:44 pm

You will probably want to get an aftermarket CPU heatsink as well.

Can you get any of the following:
- Thermalright HR-01 Plus
- Scythe Mugen 2
- Scythe Ninja
- Xigmatek S1283
- Noctua NH-U12P or NH-C12P

Depending on what graphics card you get, you might need to consider an aftermarket graphics card cooler as well.

The Antec Solo is probably all you will need for a case with your planned components.

If you have to get an Antec PSU due to availability, try to get something from the NeoPower range, or (while it is clearly far too large a power supply for your proposed system) the Antec Signature 650, which is very quiet at low power usage.

Have a look at the Recommended Section of the main site and try to buy quiet components from those lists.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:37 pm

JamieG wrote: If you have to get an Antec PSU due to availability, try to get something from the NeoPower range, or (while it is clearly far too large a power supply for your proposed system) the Antec Signature 650, which is very quiet at low power usage.

Have a look at the Recommended Section of the main site and try to buy quiet components from those lists.
I agree with your recommendation, but unfortunately, the straight-through air flow NeoHe/NeoPower PSUs, so well adapted to the Solo case, appear to have been discontinued. I had to scramble to find one yesterday, as most of the online sources that claim to have one through the various US shopping sites are almost all out of stock.

I raised the question in these forums about other straight-through quiet units with modular connectors but the only reply I got suggested the Signature - which is twice the price that the Neos cost - or used to cost.

I hope Antec or some other vendor will see the need and fill it.

adobni

Post by adobni » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm

[quote="oldabelincoln"]If you want a conventional looking, quiet case of medium size, with no door, the Solo is a satisfying choice.[/quote]

I don't worry too much about aesthetics for this machine. I would prefer something to leave unattended.

adobni

Cooler Master Storm Scout

Post by adobni » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:20 pm

I've read a review about the Cooler Master Storm Scout that it is quiet. Any comments on this case?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:57 pm

In fact, you can make any case quiet—but the difficulty of silencing components would vary greatly depending on case's design. Storm Scout has a very straight-through faceplate, so noise can escape from there to attack your ear directly. Also, the nice-looking, transparent side panel may not dampen, absorb the noise as well as Antec Solo. Last but not least, the built-in HDD suspension in Solo has a clear advantage over almost all rivals. That said, you might still reach the holyland of silence with Storm Scout army, BUT the success of conquering holyland would be much easier with qualified crusaders like P18x, Solo.

Btw, if you need huge airflow from gaming cases, get P18x instead. It's far easier to make components quiet compared to most gaming cases.

zimer

Post by zimer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:59 am

Silverstone Raven. Quiet "Gamer" case. Rev1 is a full tower version out now but if you can wait and like the looks of the Rev2 it'll be a smaller/cheaper mid tower case.