Antec Fusion Remote Max with Prolimatech Megahalems?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gilmanw

Antec Fusion Remote Max with Prolimatech Megahalems?

Post by gilmanw » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:11 am

Tried several different searches on the forums and I don't *think* this has been asked yet...

Has anyone tried a build with the Megahalems in an Fusion Remote Max case? I know that Mike's review of the FRM used the Orochi. The Orochi is about 4mm shorter than the Megahalems and I cannot tell from the pictures in the review whether he had that much of a margin in the case or not.

Well, I guess I'll soon find out. I have a FRM sitting on the floor next to me and a 775-socket mobo and the cooler on the way. It's going to be tight.

gilmanw

Post by gilmanw » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Technically it fits, but the tops of some of the heatpipes just barely graze the cover. Perhaps there is some sample variation and I have one on the tall side, but I think I have to conclude that the Megahalems is not a good choice for the Antec Fusion Remote Max case.

If I really wanted to insist on sticking to this heatsink, I could probably get away with it, but the gap is close enough that I suspect fan vibration may cause rattling against the case cover. Also, if I put anything on top of the case (which I often do, it may press down on the heatsink and in turn press down on the motherboard.

Too bad...I'll probably save the Megahalems for a future build and stick something else in. Maybe a top-down cooler like the Noctua this time...