Worth ducting CPU?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Tenoq

Worth ducting CPU?

Post by Tenoq » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi all,

Just after a bit of quick advice on whether I should spend some time re-doing my CPU cooling zone in my new mATX box. I've got a picture of the proposed change here:

I'm thinking of moving the fan attached to the heatsink to the white box (the case has some floating mount holes there for a 120/140mm fan) and then ducting with cardboard or something where the blue lines are drawn. Air will flow in through the side, through the heatsink and be drawn indirectly out the rear.

Is this worth trying? My concern is moving the fan closer to the case edge will introduce more noise... but at the same time, it should get colder air over a greater area of the heatsink (no dead spots). Do I need another duct curving around the back of the heatsink directing the heat toward the rear fan? The other catch is the fan holes on the case and the heatsink don't exactly line up so it would need to be a curved duct.

What do you think?

Olle P

Re: Worth ducting CPU?

Post by Olle P » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Tenoq wrote:My concern is moving the fan closer to the case edge will introduce more noise...
It will! But why not just leave the fan where it is and build the duct? The CPU cooling effect will be the same (or better, since the incoming air turbulence induced by the grill get a chance to settle before reaching the fan) that way.

My concern is graphics cooling. How do you provide a flow of fresh air past the graphics card?

Cheers
Olle

Tenoq

Re: Worth ducting CPU?

Post by Tenoq » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Olle P wrote:It will! But why not just leave the fan where it is and build the duct? The CPU cooling effect will be the same (or better, since the incoming air turbulence induced by the grill get a chance to settle before reaching the fan) that way.
What about the dead spot in the middle of the fan? Not worth worrying about?
Olle P wrote:My concern is graphics cooling. How do you provide a flow of fresh air past the graphics card?

Cheers
Olle
You can't see it in that pic, but there is a 92mm Scythe intake mounted at the front of the case that is delivering cold air into the GPU area. At the moment it is wired in parallel with a Zalman Fanmate & the GPU cooler - but I might just set it to 7v and leave it. My motherboard only has two fan headers, which is a real PITA!