building a computer storage unit

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

lunar_battousai

building a computer storage unit

Post by lunar_battousai » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:37 am

I am planning on building a new cpu storage unit. I am going to make it out of MDF and use acoustc cieling tiles as sound proof material. I am leaving myslef 5 inches of space on eack side. I will cut out a circle on the back for wires an air to escape. My question is when people talk about cpu storage they mention installing fans inside of the unit. I was wondering if this is really needed. When you buy a cpu desk from the store they dont install fans on the inside of their storage so why should I. I havent heard any reports about store bought desks causing overheating. I will not overclock my system. I was just wandering if anyone thinks I will have an overheating problem. I dont want an oven :(

Thanks for input
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rurouni Kenshin has been moved to Saturday at 9:30 on Cartoon Network

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:45 am

No one likes my question :cry:

Bump!

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:31 am

I don't think that you'll have any problems. How are you venting the air? By tube?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:10 pm

lunar_battousai wrote:No one likes my question :cry:
Already answered by Mike to some extent in your other thread......Please help, buying a new computer

If you're building your own, you may want to follow Bluefront's latest project (Case Cooler/Muffler that works!) to see if you like his ideas enough to incorporate them into your own box
lunar wrote:When you buy a cpu desk from the store they dont install fans on the inside of their storage so why should I[?]
Worry about airflow in your box only if (1) you care how long your components last, since hot (overheated) components have a shorter lifespan, and (2) if you care about your noise level. With your Dell XPS, if the box you build fills up with hot air, the temp controlled fans in the XPS will crank up to try to compensate for the heat in the machine. Fans will run faster (ie. louder) and the point of putting the computer in a sound-reducing box is pretty much defeated.

Without sufficient airflow, you will have an oven. Especially with a 3GHz machine.

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:08 am

I was hoping that the mid size circle I cut will be enough of an air vent. How would I use a tube? Wouldnt a mid sized hole provide more air. I am interested to hear your tube theory. Thanks for responding to my thread :D .

BTW I know Mike C responded to my other thread but that was about store bought desk. I was interested to hear from others and obtain their opinions on why people install a fan inside storage a :D nd how come we dont hear reports of people's computers overheating when their in a cpu storage. That was my intent of the thread anyway.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:13 am

The 5in of space between the case and the outer shell would cause your exhaust air to fill the shell.

I would make a passive exit on top, like a chimney

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:26 am

Great Idea thanks a bunch :D

I was also considering another idea I wanted to run by you guys. I was considering building a half box with an open box on the bottom so the air could flow out near the carpet. I figure much more airflow but now I dont think I will go with this cause I really like that chimney idea.

So if I put that chimney in you dont think i will need to install a fan in my storage :?:

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:56 am

I would personally duct the exhaust fan from your PSU to the chimney to the exit...kinda like a dryer.

You can experiment without a fan at first, and if you have some heating issues, install a fan later.

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:22 am

If i was to duct from the fan to the exit there seems to be no need to install a fan since the air would never fill the storage but if i duct, the box seems pointless since all the noise will flow through the duct not the box, right?

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:25 am

BTW how do I know if there are serious issue with heat is there software for this. I am pretty sure my Dell XPS fans rev up if there is a heat increase so I guess I could go by that but not sure.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:25 am

I know people here have posted regarding silencing their ducting in the past.

But assuming that your PSU fan will push the air 5 inches to some sort of exhaust, I don't think you'll have many heating issues.

Again, try it without first...If you're satisfied with your temps and NOISE (as I was so rudely reminded today that this is what the site was for MF Aphonos), leave it alone...

If not,

MOD.

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:28 am

Ok if the five inches is a problem I could make it smaller that is no problem I figured the bigger the better I could make it 1 inch if that is better. Thanks 4 your help and how do I measure the temps.

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:37 am

Uh...............

BIOS or download SiS Sandra MAX! to get other temps and performances.

lunar_battousai

Post by lunar_battousai » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:43 am

So building a smaller box is better for the exhaust. I can cut the wood to any size

POLIST8
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by POLIST8 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:47 am

Give it a shot!!!

Good Luck,

Nate

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:49 pm

You'll probably want to read through this thread before you build. NO noise cabinet. It will give you, among other user's experiences, MikeC's work on a cabinet.

:)