Antec Sonata First in PC Cooling

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Will_Corrigan

Antec Sonata First in PC Cooling

Post by Will_Corrigan » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:37 pm

Here's an amusing press release that offers 'proof' that the Antec Sonata is fully 3 times quieter than a "comparable high-performance mid-tower case" with "their standard configuration of power supply and fans".

Ignoring for a moment the irrelevance of their figures, it's heartening to see manufacturers going to such lengths to establish themselves as silent computing mavens.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:59 pm

It's nice to see that even in these times of hardship for the computer industry, that the marketing writers from Apple can still find freelance work.

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:29 pm

that's also something I'm trying to think of :

As I found the sonata not so quiet ... and that other reviewers says 3 times (that's just 10-15 dB, no ?), what the hell should their 'normal' boxes be ???

I can only guess from my now dead vga card fan ... awful ... 3' and I've got an headache ...

Oysterman
Patron of SPCR

Post by Oysterman » Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:41 pm

Well, it IS quiet compared to most standard PCs. But they do market it as "silent", which it's not due to the PSU. The PSU might in fact not be any louder than 20 dBA @ 1 m, but that would be without any components putting load to the PSU, no? No way in hell it's 20 dBA after ten minutes of gaming.

And even with the Sonata PSU running hot, it's sure a whisper compared to a system an aquaintance of mine has. There are vacuum cleaners that run quieter. No joke. And he doesn't OC.

Zhentar
Patron of SPCR

Post by Zhentar » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:02 pm

tell me about it... at work I've been lucky enough to work on a dell for the past few days... their silent. But the old micron cases... :shock: any worse airflow design and it would be sealed, and the fans sure let you know!

and I usually have to work on one of them....