Antec 900 Drive Cage fits in a P180/2?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Antec 900 Drive Cage fits in a P180/2?

Post by Shaman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:37 am

It seems like the mounting system of the drive cages from the Antec 900 (and possibly the 1200) is not proprietary and fits in other cases.

I found this pic in another forum of a 900 drive cage installed in a Silverstone FT01:

These cages can be bought at the Antec Store, but they are out of stock right now.

Has anyone tried them on a P180/2? In theory it should fit perfectly, but you never know... imo these are much better looking than the Scythe Kama Bay and should fit more securely since they use two screws on each side. Just replace the nasty tricool fan or don't use a fan at all (which is how I intend to use it if it fits and is back in stock soon).

darkb

Re: Antec 900 Drive Cage fits in a P180/2?

Post by darkb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:24 am

The drive bays from the 900 series cases are designed for 3 standard 5.25" bays, and should line up perfectly. I'd get the version for the "900 two" or 1200 if possible, much better mesh on the front, doesn't get covered in dust anywhere near as easily. Note however that there is no hdd dampening on any of them, they are pure hard mount systems.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:03 am

Yes, I know there is no hdd damping. The idea is to use it just as a professional looking extra air intake vent for the P180/2 without hdd's or fan attached to it.

Too bad it's out of stock, even the 1200 drive cage is out of stock too. :(

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Yes, I know there is no hdd damping. The idea is to use it just as a professional looking extra air intake vent for the P180/2 without hdd's or fan attached to it.
That is an irrelevant point because the "drive cage", and the "fan/dust filter/front grill" assembly are seperate items.

The "fan/dust filter/front grill assembly" can be used on its own and will likely fit most cases, as it just clips onto the drive cage, but with a little modding can be attached to any case. This is what I have been wanting to do with my 1200, lose the drive cages, and setup HDD suspension instead, and attach the "fan/dust filter/front grill assembly" to the case in such a way that I can remove them for cleaning - hot glue would be a doddle, bit a PITA to get the fans out again - likewise the fans are hard mounted by default, I want to soft mount them with grommets - another mod that will never get done.

Also dont expect to be able to use the fan control knob from the shitty tri-cools, as it is made with the fan.

Andy