fractal define r3 - bottom intake - spare dampening?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

matador88

fractal define r3 - bottom intake - spare dampening?

Post by matador88 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:44 am

guys, building comp in define r3 - i want to close bottom intake (airflow/dust/noise). is it a good idea?
i have a piece of dampening material iside sticked on the top of the case just besides the two pieces closing upper outake openings. does it have some function? or is it a spare piece to close the bottom intake (it looks like for that purpose) ?? should i unpaste it and reuse?

mkk

Re: fractal define r3 - bottom intake - spare dampening?

Post by mkk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 am

You could seal off the bottom intake with tape or something similarly simple. (remove the plastic fan holder first) Since it's facing downwards it might not be worthwile spending actual dampening material there, but you could always compare the results. Most systems have no use for that bottom intake so sealing it off is a good general idea.

matador88

Post by matador88 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:50 pm

i consulted also with fractal and they told me that piece of dampening will probably broke if i will try to peel off so i assume it has some function (to dampen:> ). i closed bottom intake it by piece od aluminium foil placed under plastic fan holder. (i wanted to use piece of 1mm styrene, but foil looks enough, easier, cheaper and more heat resistant)

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 pm

That should work well enough, even if I'd like to mention that any metal foil inside a computer could become a problem if any bit of it comes loose. There is also no need to have any particularly heat resistant material there. Make sure it stays put. :)

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:15 pm

The bottom vent on my Mini pretty much invited me to simply cut a thin sheet of plastic to size and slide it under the fan filter. So quick and neat if you're just wanting to block the vent - no need for tape or other annoying materials :)