Need fans+ for custom Isolation Cabinet (65x80x80cm!)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rrR

Need fans+ for custom Isolation Cabinet (65x80x80cm!)

Post by rrR » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:30 am

Hi
I made a custom Isolation Cabinet (65x80x80centimeters!) for my AUDIO STUDIO... (Absolute silence please!) I will be putting in this iso box 2 towers and various noisy hard discs & audo video gear...

I plan to mount 2 'temperture controlled' fans on the inside back top and will probably have them both blow air out... with a couple air intakes at the bottom. I 'm playing with the idea of making some sort of soft innerlined tube or wooden right angle 'chimney' on the outside to further isolate any fan noise...

So I'm new here & I have many questions that are probably answered 10000 times in 1000 ways but here they are all at once:-P
+ Is there some posts or sites relating to 'build your own' BIG Iso Cabinet?
+What large quiet fans would one recommend? (HA!)
Papst, Evercool, Enermax, Panaflo, Verax?...
So many articles & posts... I'm a fan newby & now I'm just confused. Are they all good?
+ Is there one that is the quietest, temperture controlled and not $100!
+ Where to buy em?...
+ Do ya think 2 would be enough?
+Is it better to use 2x 120mm or would 2x 80mm most likly be fine and quieter? Are 120mm type generally noisier then80mm... or do they just move slower?
+ Is it fine to tap the power from the internal towers HD power pins ? What if the damned thang crashed or fried while I was home sleeping?!
This is a studio environment so they are on ALL the time.
+ So how / where can one get cheap but quality power supplies for the fans?..
+ Ummm, what am I forgetting?.
Mucho Thanks World!!
rrrRand
(edited size)
Last edited by rrR on Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:54 am

You do not mean 80X80mm, that is the size of a single fan

What size do you mean ?

rrR

Post by rrR » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:15 pm

douh!
I meant 65x80x80m!
(I'm a stupid amerikan..)
any tips out there...
thanks
rRand

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:38 pm

rrR wrote:douh!
I meant 65x80x80m!
(I'm a stupid amerikan..)
any tips out there...
thanks
rRand
65m x 80m x 80m = 213 feet x 262 feet x 262 feet. Is this what you mean?

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:26 pm

maybe the decimal is in the wrong place.

ABAQUS888

Post by ABAQUS888 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:24 pm

A couple of helicopter blades will do it! dude,lol, I guess it is mm, not m.

I am a smart AmeriKKKan,lol :lol:

rrR

Post by rrR » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:24 pm

65x80x80centimeters :oops:

Mad Ad

Post by Mad Ad » Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:16 pm

jeez you lot, lmao - he means the cabinet is 65 x 80 x 80 cm.

I was hoping you lot had been giving him help, Im making the same kinda thing - except its 60(w) x 60(d) x 75(h) CM! and made from standard kitchen unit parts (obtained easily from any UK b&q, wickes, mfi or kitchen supplies company).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:48 pm

Hey box makers. I went down this path a couple of times. You may find old threads by me here... no idea under what names. A few thoughts from an old hand:

1) Make at least 1 90 degree turn in each tunnel through which the air should enter or exit

2) Line the tunnels with a layer of sound absorbant stuff

3) Keep the cross section of the tunnel at least 25-50% bigger than that of the fan.

4) If there are large panels not supported in the center, add mass damping or stiffening or both

5) suspend the fans with elastic or similar somewhere in the inside 1/3 of the tunnels. 2x120mm s are a better idea for 2 systems in one box. Probably the mininum. You may need 2 for intake -- at the bottom front for each of the PCs.

6) make sure that the actual PCs are pretty quiet. No way a sound containment box will eliminate noise from a normal (loud PC). And ensure that its in/out vents are wide open

7) If you can, find a way to float the PCs inside the box rather than have them sit directly on the wooden box. Ideal would be a stiff platform stably suspended on damped springs of some kind. You will also need to raise the box on something reasonably resilient to keep the noise down.

Lots more, but there's a start. You can see it will take more work that you might have thought. Noise has a way ot getting through stuff; a muffled noise is sometimes much more annoying that a quiet unmuffled noise -- if you understand the difference.

Hint: You don't have to do this to get super quiet. I haven't used my 100 >pound vault/tunnelled medite board chamber in nearly 2 years. Don't need to -- my PCs are all now <20 dBA/1m.

rrR

Post by rrR » Thu Dec 18, 2003 5:33 am

Hi and THANKS for REAL info from an experienced pro!

Yea, I'll float the 2 towers somehow...
which will be 1 G4 & 1 G5 PowerMac.
Plus I have external discs and a few audio video devices...
This is an audio studio!
I'll definitely line those air tunnels and suspend the fans...
Right angle, right.
Still wonder if intake fans are necessary...
2x 120mm fans to start and add more if necessary later I guess...
So what brand? (ha!)
Power them from?! I suppose I should get a separate power-supply for em... hmmm maybe I can use an old scsi case and tap its power?..
Don't want to rely on the towers always being on... though they probably will be.
Temperature controlled Fans can be self regulating no?
What else?
THANKS!!!
rRand

rrR

Post by rrR » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:16 am

Hey Mike!
I did a search of your posts for more info on making a great iso box BUT you have way toooo many!
:-)
So, please can you give me relevant post links or elaborate on the fan questions I wrote... sorry if they seem redundant of the million other posts but what can ya say as far as my big box?
Thank you very much from a fan newby!
rand

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:26 am

Here's one thread -- there's a link to one of the boxes I built. I would build it differently now. The bend on the top exhaust vent was 180 degrees. Not good, too long and too narrow.

Anyone built a wooden box to surround their noisy pc?
And... NO noise cabinet

You should look up Noren Products, Sound Construction & Supply, and other isolation cabinet makers for ideas.

Also, for an alternative, look up Mirar's site for his wooden box case. Not a cabinet for his PC, but a case custom made from wood to house the components, with a "form factor" that is totally unique. (just search for mirar here...)

Mad Ad

Post by Mad Ad » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:34 pm

Wow - interesting threads there mike, thanks - but tbh thats a lot of work, lol.

My project is much less intensive - atm the cabinet is built except for the back panel, and just like that its doing a great job. The main aim was to cover 2 messy pcs plus yards of wires and boxes and end up looking like normal furniture :)

Ive used a 600mm (60cm) sink base unit with two beech 300mm doors, a top like this chap heres got (bnq do sell it but I couldnt find it) and of course a couple of knobs.

Right now I only used the top 2" of the leg (that the rest of the leg would screw into) so it looks like a normal floor cupboard and intend to castor mount it at some point. Without the back its not really any less noisy but it looks much nicer, and its early days yet.

I intend to focus on the PCs in the cabinet and reduce their noise first - my 7000A, additional fanmates and a papst turned up yesterday :D , now waiting on the northbridge coolers, arctic vga, chipsinks, temp module and some 'flos and ill be mod happy again.

rrR

Post by rrR » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:18 am

Anyone with any new info or links on this IsoBox subject!! p l e a s e.
(i.e. latest recommended fans, power & temp controllers, air i/o designs.. etc.)
rRand :wink:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:30 am

visit siliconacoustics.com for quiet fans

Also, skinned melamine foam w/ .8NRC and 1" thick at mcmaster.com (search melamine) along with good vinyl sound reflecter

Use an isolated PSU: Isolate it from the rest of your system if possible. (though it doesn't look like you are doing this, it's still a possibility)