New GMC Case: Phoong

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Calv

New GMC Case: Phoong

Post by Calv » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:45 am

I was planning to get a GMC Neo Classic to use as the case for my new PC when i went to the GMC website: http://www.gmc.co.kr and found a new case on their front page called the "Phoong". THis case has got my attention quickly as it looks to have the following features:
-Good front air intake
-Very stylish desing
-2 USB ports, a headphone port, a microphone port and a firewire port
-And if the previous models of GMC are to go by, good sound proofing material.

What do you guys think? should i wait for this case to come out?

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:58 am

Can't find it listed - have you got a link to actualy product page?

Calv

Post by Calv » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:15 am

Unfortunately that is all that GMC have given at this moment in time: Just the front pic. They will hopefully let me know more soon. I got those specs just by looking at the pic. They are not official. But just by the look of the front page of the GMC website the case has already got me excited!

Calv

Post by Calv » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:04 am

For all those interested i found the specs of the Phoong on the Korean site of GMC. Although i cannot read it i think the pictures tell enough. I am a little disappointed with the design from the 3.25" disk bay upwards and what seems like the lack of sound proof material.
Here's the url:

http://www.gmc.co.kr/newgmc/product/h60.htm

what you guys think?

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:23 am

I'm not that keen on those black strips running down the sides. The brushed curved aluminum looks nice though. Maybe they could have put a curved door over the drive bays to tidy up the front of the case?

Would love to see Bang & Olufson design a PC case......

NamJangNamJa

English Translation of the H-60(Phoong) Page

Post by NamJangNamJa » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:25 am

Rough English Translation of the H-60(Phoong) Page

http://www.gmc.co.kr/newgmc/product/h60.htm

Specification

Dimension : 480(W)x197(D)x403(H) mm
Form Factor : ATX, Micro-ATX
11 Drive Bays : 5.25 Ext x 4, 3.5 Ext x 2, 2.5 int x 5
Expansion Slots : 7 Expansion Slots
Front 120mm Fan 1ea Included
Rear 120mm Fan 1ea Included
Fan Controller 2ea Included
USB 2.0 Port & EAR, MIC Port

Pictures And More About The Product

Front

H60 PC case which is also known as Phoong(Wind) is designed to deliver the intake and outtake airflow most efficiently. As seen in the picture, it has the front intake so that it can suck cold air to cool the inside.

Front Panel

H60 is very functional and stylish. The clean look of 5.25'' bays and the harmony of the3.5'' bays is designed with quality far beyond any other cases. The GMC logo on the air intake on the bottom of the case emphasize the high class style.

Back Panel

The fan on the back panel moves hot air out fast.

Air Intake

The air intake at the bottom half sucks the cold outside air strongly, and cool the inside very efficiently.

3.5'' Bays

3.5'' bays placed on the front

Top of The Front Panel

H60 provides the best air flow.

Power And Reset Buttons

H60 has a high class style even in the power button and the reset button.

Ports

There are two fan controllers on top, and two USB, sound, and mic ports at bottom.

Side Panel

There are side vent holes on the side panel.

Vent Holes

Vent holes

Hand Screw

The hand screws makes it possible to open and close the side panels without tools.

Backside Cooling Fan

Front Intake From The Back

Inside

There are total 11 drive bays for expansion.

5.25'' bays

H60 has four 5.25'' bays.

3.5'' bays

H60 has four 3.5'' bays.

5.25'' bays

H60 has four 5.25'' bays.

Mainboard Mount

Duct

Backside Cooling Fan

The backside cooling fan moves the hot air out efficiently.

Expansion Slots

There are 7 bays for expansion slots.

Joe DeFuria

Post by Joe DeFuria » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:05 am

Wow...looks like a really nice case. Here's another one I'll have to consider...and this is the first Aluminum case at that.

I really like the looks, and potentially great airflow. (Though the front does have the potential to leak more sound...though not as much as the Antec P160). I actually like th black trim along the side...if you have black faced optical drives, the black trim along the side should be complimentary.

With an aluminum case, I'd be worried about resonance though, and would almost definitely go with some dampening foam.

My own questions that I guess will be answered in due time:

1) Are there "flap open" drive bay covers for the 5 1/4 drive bays? Or are they just standard covers that get removed?

2) What kind of hard drive mounting solution do they have? (Rubber Grommeted? )

3) Those fan speed controllers...can you push (recess) them in after adjusting fan speed? No only do the portruding fan controls break up the looks of the case from a front view, but their location seems like would cause a LOT on inadvertant fan adjusting, (think legs underneath the desk...)

NamJangNamJa

Post by NamJangNamJa » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:24 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:My own questions that I guess will be answered in due time:

1) Are there "flap open" drive bay covers for the 5 1/4 drive bays? Or are they just standard covers that get removed?

2) What kind of hard drive mounting solution do they have? (Rubber Grommeted? )

3) Those fan speed controllers...can you push (recess) them in after adjusting fan speed? No only do the portruding fan controls break up the looks of the case from a front view, but their location seems like would cause a LOT on inadvertant fan adjusting, (think legs underneath the desk...)
I'm not quite sure, but it looks like

1) the bay covers are just standard covers,
2) there is no mounting solution except washers, and
3) your leg is going to suffer.

If you read my translation above, you will notice that they would have mentioned about those things you are talking about, if there are those things in the case, rather than emphasizing high class style crap again and again.

Damn! I need a case with Sonata inside with H60(Phoong) outside in all black color.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:43 am

Nice looking case. Last I checked it was hard to get these in the US. I will be interested to hear more about this case. Thanks.

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:46 pm

This case totally looks cool!
I wonder if it's possible to get it in North America?
Any reviews on this case?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:00 pm

Joe DeFuria wrote:Wow...looks like a really nice case. Here's another one I'll have to consider...and this is the first Aluminum case at that.

With an aluminum case, I'd be worried about resonance though, and would almost definitely go with some dampening foam.
I don't think that case is entirely aluminum. Most, if not all aluminum cases exhibit a certain shine to them, whereas steel has a more matte look to it. From that experience, I would suspect that the motherboard tray and the drive cage is in fact steel. The front looks like aluminum, but I think that may be the only part that is.

I kinda hope so, because that really would cut down on costs.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:26 pm

sthayashi wrote:I kinda hope so, because that really would cut down on costs.
And noise. Looks where it counts, silence where it matters. Unlike, say, the P160.

As for Al being lighter than steel, all I can say is, not after a few square feet of polymeric mastic. Ditto for heat dissipation.

NamJangNamJa : thanks for the translation!

psalty

This case made out of steel..

Post by psalty » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:51 pm

I am a new player in this forum...and I got a lot of helpful information..so
I would like to make a contribution here..

I read a short review at some Korean site, and they said it is steel case..
I don't see any case from GMC made out of AL. The phoong is now being sold in Korea..

Both 120mm fan speed is adjustable by case attached controller..

One thing I am not quite sure about this case is the thickness of this case, because nowhere I can find the thinkness of this case.
In addition to that, there are no distributors in US market..

samwc912

Post by samwc912 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:54 pm

After a few months of searching, I've yet found a Canadian or US delear for this case. This case looks really good and the airflow is really promising. Does anyone know how to find one?

Megaweapon

Post by Megaweapon » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:01 pm

samwc912 wrote:After a few months of searching, I've yet found a Canadian or US delear for this case. This case looks really good and the airflow is really promising. Does anyone know how to find one?
Good luck.

If it's as hard to find in North America as the GMC Noblesse SE then it can't be found. I've poured through all the Google results. I've sent email to reviewers (no response), african and european distributors (won't sell) and GMC themselves ("sorry"). I talked to a guy on the phone today whose incomplete site was the last one in Google's search results. He said that he had wanted to distribute the cases in the US but the smallest quantity GMC would sell him was a pallet. He said he would have done it anyway if they had given him a link in some reviews but they didn't.

I guess these things are selling like hotcakes in Malaysia and Singapore, though. I found a site listing about a hojillion distributors there.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:14 am

Apologies if this is off topic, but the C10 looks very elegant!

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:56 am

The integrated fan controllers are a good touch.

Assuming they're any good and depending what their voltage range is :)

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:13 am

Most cases I've seen with plastic silver painted bezels look extremely cheap in person. It isn't bad when small accents are painted in this (low)level of quality. Not that I'm specifically talking about GMC cases - I've never seen their cases in person.

I think painted bezels would look very nice if done in the style of the JBL Creature speakers (the original silver metallic with clear coat, not to be confused with the Creature II grey.) I wish all of my plastic silver painted components were done the same way (although they still wouldn't match each other when they are from different manufacturers... Grr...).

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:19 pm

This case has already been discussed in great detail in this thread. Check it out. It's got all the information you'll ever need including photos from an actual user.

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=13111

Deheinx

If you want the H60 Case...

Post by Deheinx » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:38 pm

In the USA you will have to purchase it from the manufacturer. I sent their sales an email asking about US distribution and:

"Greetings !!
Thanks for your favorable interest in our products.
However, unfortunately, we have no activated accounts in United States at present.
Therefore, we recommend that you purchase it from us directly.
Many thanks in advance and best regards
Danie Son"

Nice case, I wonder what the shipping would be...