COME ON! WE NEED TO PICK UP THE PACE!!!

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Drewdog2323

COME ON! WE NEED TO PICK UP THE PACE!!!

Post by Drewdog2323 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:16 pm

Hey EVERYONE!!! WE SERIOUSLY need to pick up the slack here! More than 100 of our team members aren't even running active processors! COME ON, if just half of those started running again we wouldn't be behind the macOS guys! It wouldn't hurt to just have it running as a background program using the lowest priority setting! Hell, it would help if even just the people not running it completed 2 WUs or EVEN 1 WU a day! And also to all of you, recruit as many people as you can!!! I'm even gonna try to convince the network administrator at my high school to install it on every single machine! LET'S GO PEOPLE!

~Andrew

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:49 pm

Hey, I'm already running it as much as I possibly can! :lol: I also just got finished putting together a new quiet AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) system for my mom too, and I'm running the client on her new system too, to try to break it in and test it for her.

Also, to those of you with AMD Athlon XP or Athlon 64 processors: Use the -forceSSE flag. Using SSE should help it to run almost twice as fast as just letting it default to 3DNow!.

We seriously NEED to try to rally our team and get it back on track. I KNOW we can beat EOC and Team MacOSX if we can just get more folders, and get them fully optimized. :twisted:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:53 pm

An auspicious first post Drewdog2323! That's what's needed around here, a little YOUTHFUL ENTHUSIASM! :D

David

sonofdbn

Post by sonofdbn » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:50 am

Do we have any idea why people stop folding? Perhaps we should have a folding rehab centre to get them back on the programme.

isp

Post by isp » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:35 am

I found a machine folding for the wrong team number last night... lol :lol:

edit: I just noticed we are outproducing them so far today, 5700 to 4000... off to a good start....can we maintain it? :wink:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:20 pm

I have tried, from time to time, to contact members who are no longer actively folding. Mostly what I have found is that...they don't answer my PM's, most likely because they don't visit SPCR any more (but maybe just because they don't want to talk to me). MANY of them, I am unable to contact because they folded under a different name from their SPCR username and they never posted in this forum, so I cannot link the folding name to an SPCR name in order to contact them. In other words, I have very little data on why people stop folding.

Any ideas anyone has for getting them back, I'm all ears.

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:23 pm

isp wrote:I found a machine folding for the wrong team number last night... lol :lol:
One of yours? :roll:

Hey shens, congrats! You are BLUE!!!!
Oops, wrong thread! :lol:

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:27 pm

Oh, I get it now. I thought you meant picante sauce.

M

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:29 pm

Pace. Get it? :groan:

David

isp

Post by isp » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:26 pm

haysdb wrote:
isp wrote:I found a machine folding for the wrong team number last night... lol :lol:
One of yours? :roll:

Hey shens, congrats! You are BLUE!!!!
Oops, wrong thread! :lol:

David
Nope, not mine, my buddy dan's.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:18 pm

I would argue that ANYONE not folding for SPCR is folding for the wrong team! :D

David

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:24 pm

haysdb wrote:Pace. Get it? :groan:

David
:)

M

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:39 pm

I would argue that ANYONE not folding for SPCR is folding for the wrong team!
You got that right!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

DonP

Post by DonP » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:44 pm

sonofdbn wrote:Do we have any idea why people stop folding?
Cos I really hate the client app.. I borged a few boxes but after a few months of production I noticed they aren't counted any more.. I've had to go back a few times and fix them but now their owners are getting annoyed.. so I can't be bothered to fix them anymore.

As to "COME ON! WE NEED TO PICK UP THE PACE!!!".. I'll see what I can do.. I think I'm having three P4 2.8G.. maybe even 3GHz delivered tomorrow.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:02 pm

DonP, when you say "fix them," what is it you typically had to do? Just stop and restart them? Do they restart OK following system reboots?

David

DonP

Post by DonP » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:51 pm

haysdb wrote:DonP, when you say "fix them," what is it you typically had to do? Just stop and restart them? Do they restart OK following system reboots?
David
It differs from case to case.. sometimes nothing would help and a re-install of a newer version client would be required. Sometimes a wiping of the queue was enough. I don't think stop and restart ever worked. I also found it conflicted with Sophos Antivirus (I'm pretty sure it was the AV that f@h was conflicting with)(btw.. I'm referring here to the windows graphical client).
Anyway.. there were all kinds of conflicts, problems, queue corruption, web cache issues etc.. (btw.. these were not memory or CPU issues.. there was lots of Mathematica and Matlab running and they never ever had problems).

Rest assured I've just had some fat boxes delivered [1] today and I'll keep them close to hand so I'll keep 'em folding.

DonP.

[1] btw.. the boxes were delivered with Samsung drives (not sure which exact model, but they were 80G and 120G PATAs) and my sysadmin guys asked Systemax to replace them with IBM-Hitachi drives. The sysadmin guys say that they've had a very high failure rate of Samsungs (about half they claim!).. this concerns me because I bought two spinpoints a few weeks back.

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:57 pm

DonP wrote:I also found it conflicted with Sophos Antivirus (I'm pretty sure it was the AV that f@h was conflicting with)
I run Sophos AV on my XP box and it has never caused any problems. It folds 24/7 with the CLI client now, but I have used the GUI client without problem in the past too.

geordie
Friend of SPCR

Post by geordie » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:02 pm

DonP wrote:[the boxes were delivered with Samsung drives (not sure which exact model, but they were 80G and 120G PATAs) and my sysadmin guys asked Systemax to replace them with IBM-Hitachi drives. The sysadmin guys say that they've had a very high failure rate of Samsungs (about half they claim!).. this concerns me because I bought two spinpoints a few weeks back.
We used to use Systemax as our supplier at work but the overall quality was very poor. I'd say that's more likely to account for the high failure rate!

DonP

Post by DonP » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:10 pm

geordie wrote:
DonP wrote:I also found it conflicted with Sophos Antivirus (I'm pretty sure it was the AV that f@h was conflicting with)
I run Sophos AV on my XP box and it has never caused any problems. It folds 24/7 with the CLI client now, but I have used the GUI client without problem in the past too.
Hmm.. I guess it might be some windows DLL silliness.. don't know. I do actually run Sophos and F@H on a dual Xeon and that has no problems.. weird.

DonP

Post by DonP » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:22 pm

geordie wrote:We used to use Systemax as our supplier at work but the overall quality was very poor. I'd say that's more likely to account for the high failure rate!
(going serious OT..)Yeah.. I know about the quality.. but at my university we are pretty restricted to approved suppliers.. kinda sucks. Then again we (the uni) are a very big customer (and we get o.k. discounts).. in fact a few weeks ago my sysadmin guys had a personal visit from the chief of Systemax UK sales and a few of his acolytes and they gave them a good grilling. One issue I was pushing for was a choice in mobos.. espcecially a dual channel DDR one.. a few weeks later there they were :) Loads of other issues were raised too from installed software to enforced warranty.. quality control was a big issue.. aside from the failed disks we also had loads of dodgy RAM.

(btw.. I always feel really bad about hijacking threads.. sorry :oops: )