folding Farm

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shroomer

folding Farm

Post by Shroomer » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:26 pm

is there plans on this forum for building a wooden case for holding up to 15 mobo's ?

ChucuSCAD
Patron of SPCR

Post by ChucuSCAD » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:28 pm

the search button is your friend.

chucuSCAD

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Re: folding Farm

Post by haysdb » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:31 pm

Shroomer wrote:is there plans on this forum for building a wooden case for holding up to 15 mobo's ?
Not that I have heard of. That'd be a big box! Are you interested in doing something like that?

David
Last edited by haysdb on Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:31 pm

Just to be polite, I did the searching for you: David's Folding Barn

Welcome to SPCR!!! :wink:

edit: LOL David beat me to it!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:35 pm

My "barn" holds just 7 boards, so 15 would be a horse of a different color. That'd be a "Monster Barn".

Is this THE Shroomer, EOC's #1 folder Shroomer?

David

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:32 pm

>is there plans on this forum for building a wooden case for holding up to 15 >mobo's ?

i only have a "case" for 4 mainboards, but i think you could scale it up to 15.

see swiss folding farm

Markus

Shroomer

Post by Shroomer » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:49 pm

haysdb wrote:Is this THE Shroomer, EOC's #1 folder Shroomer?

David
Yes that is me, this is my first time visiting here :oops:

Jason @ EOCF told me there was plans (downloadable) on this forum for a farm box.... I did some serching and could not find anything.... thanx for the links guys this has given me some idea's

I do have a question for haysdb... on the case fan spots ypu placed on the back of your case.. wouldn't it be more effective with them on the top just below the PSU shelf ?

Other than that would you mind if I use alot of your setup idea's on that box for my own ?

unregistered

Post by unregistered » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:41 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!!!!!

:idea: While you are here, lurk around some of these forums and get a "quiet" perspective of computing :wink: .

Folding/Overclocking can be done Quietly. Thats why we are here :!:

I hope you can build THE ultimate folding farm,

Keep folding :D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:20 pm

Shroomer, borrow anything you like, I'd be flattered.

I suppose the two reasons I located the fans where I did, were (1) the cpu's are at the bottom, so I put the fans at the bottom, where direct airflow would pass over the heatsinks, but perhaps more importantly, (2) having the fans at the bottom provides a little easier access to the power connectors. ;)

BTW, I mounted the boards with the cpu's at the bottom rather than the top to try to keep heat OUT of the power supplies. After "tuning" the fans in the psu's to run slower (and therefore quieter), I found they were getting awfully hot when most of the heat from of the cpu's was being drawn through them. So I flipped them over and added the extra case fans. It has been a balancing act to get things to run cool AND quiet.

If noise were not a factor, I would have left the boards cpu-side up and left the psu fans alone, letting them run at full speed, and not bothered with the case fans.

One other thing. I made "motherboard trays" out of 1/8" aluminum, but I'm not so sure that solved the problems I was trying to solve. If I were to make a second box, I might try just making them out of pegboard, and then make aluminum trays only if I suspected issues with static electricity or grounding. I did the aluminum because I was experiencing all sort of flakey behavior that I could never trace. I never proved to my own satisfaction whether the issues were related to "grounding" or to a bunch of just plain flakey motherboards.

David

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:29 am

Except the famous Dave folding farm and the tomcat folding farm, as mentioned earlier there, I would like point to the first Australian Overclockers folding farm tread too :wink:

It was a haysdb inspiration :twisted:
Last edited by trodas on Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:00 am

Thanks trodas, but I doubt VERY seriously if I was the inspiration for that. More likely Turmelle or Jason Rabel or Mark Foster, or one of the other "pioneers". I did nothing more than walk in others footsteps, except for my "Barn", which I consider to be a unique creation.

David

Shroomer

Post by Shroomer » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:16 am

Thanx for the replies guys :thumbup:

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:28 am

haysdb - well, I mean (and write it too :?:) that your folding farm was inspired by the old Durons one by the Australian Overclocker member :wink:

(they are similar and reading the making of folding fanatic convince me that it's no coincidence that they are quite similar :wink: )

Of course I could be pretty wrong...
...and sorry for my perhaps confusing english gramar, I know it suxx, and I trying to be better :roll:

/me apologying to all unfortunate souls, what reading and desperately trying to understand my posts until they finally give up :oops:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:27 am

trodas, nobody here is giving you any crap about your English, and if they do, I'll <expletive> them! :D

This isn't a native-English-speaking-only forum, so as long as we can figure out what the heck you are blathering on about, that's all that matters. ;) I mean, really, just look at Pete; English obviously isn't HIS first language. :lol:

David

trodas

Post by trodas » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:34 am

Thanks, Dave :wink: :P I hope practicing my english gramar will make it better :)

Now, back to topic... I can't find the pictures of the old first Australian Overclocker farm anymore - the link from SPCR to to the orginal tread did not working anymore :? Im affraid that the tread was removed from the OS forum, I tried to register and write to admin, however my mail was rejested as "recipiend did not like my addy"... :roll:
Hmmm, I quess that it's the pity that someone in past used @seznam.cz mailserver to sending spam, so ppls likely block the addy completely... :?

After all, what's deleted mostly never can come back, sad but true. The pictures from the other side of the farm was interesting too, I mean the 3 PSU, divided power and so on... :)
Last edited by trodas on Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:18 am

:shock:

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:14 pm

;)

trodas

Ha, I found it!

Post by trodas » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:55 am

Hoooray :P :twisted:
I found the tread about (pics!) the Australian overclockers folding farm that inspired David (haysdb) to create own one and become very strong folder :P

There it is!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php? ... did=122568

...me gonna edit my post back to change the link to working one, the one from the SPCR forum (CharlieChan post) about this linked tread did not working anymore... :roll: :oops: