A question abt the 'asking before sending/receiving work'...

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lightning

A question abt the 'asking before sending/receiving work'...

Post by lightning » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:31 pm

...option - I'm going to be away from my computer for about a month (I'll be overseas), so I thought I'd switch from FAH to GAH and have my computer download and fold a series of work units given that I'm on dialup and the computer won't be accessing the internet too often. Anyway, I'm just wondering what happens if I have let the console attempt to send work without a prompt for permission to send/receive, if my computer happens to not be online - does is continue to just fold the next work unit that's previously been downloaded, or will it just stall, or will it offer a prompt which needs to be clicked to be cleared?

Also, will it automatically access the net the next time there is a connection, or will it only attempt to access the net after the entire batch of units are crunched?

Thanks!

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:56 am

Hmm. Good question.

Only from my experience, fah attempts to make a 'net connection to transmit/receive wu's when:

You invoke the "-send all" command.
It finishes a wu.
Every 6 hours (I think it's 6) while crunching a wu.

Also, I think that the maximum number of wu's in the queue is 10. Perhaps this is not true for gah.

I'm pretty sure this issue has been addressed before, so, hopefully others with more experience with this will chime in.

M

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:35 am

I run GAH on 3 PCs, with the batch setting enable you download 10 WU at a time and these are send to the server just like a normal WU ie same conditions as stated by M. WU(s) only get downloaded when a WU is finished or when you start fah. The reason these 3 PCs use GAH is they are on a dialup connection and I can't get dial-on-demand and folding to play nice with each other. What generally happens is fah want to access the internet and by the time the connection is made fah decides the connection does not exist and waits ~45mins. By then the dial-on-demand connection would have been dropped and the same process is repeat the next time round. :roll: The router uses smoothwall so YMMV.
Another way to get around your problem may be to run multiple instances of folding@home using GAH. My PC's, P4 2.2A, takes about a week to get through 10 WU so running 4 instances of GAH should take about a month to complete 8) .

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:56 pm

Hmmm, from my experience with setting GAH and batch mode the client still tried to return each unit as it was finished. If only you could queue up more than 10 work units, cause with these settings you only get timeless ones, so even if you were away for a long time you'd still be credited for them upon your return.

Anyway, you should experiment with this some more before you go and see what happens.