you GO genetomcat

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

you GO genetomcat

Post by Douglas Bailey » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:31 am

What a shock! I'm sure it must have happened before but I missed it. Checking stats today and there was this odd RED thing a few lines down. I've never seen that color in the stats before - what does it mean. OH NOOOOOOOO.... genetomcat is overtaking Team Bailey????

Super congrats genetomcat.. come get me!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:38 am

Doug, (May I?)..... Welcome to my world :twisted:

Mucho Kudos to the pair of you though, your doing an awesome job. 8)

Power to your Folding Mighty Brothers

Regards

Pete

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:24 pm

Douglas,

What's happened to you back there? You've been off my OT list for a good 2-3 days in a row?!!?!!?!

P638's got you down? Don't worry, I've reeled in 9 of them lately so I'm sure you'll catch right back up as now my production will nosedive as well...

Dave

PS Congrats to tomcat as well! You've been on and off my OT list as well. I've only had 3 others ever on the list -- ARM Systems & wgragg blew by me months ago and D_Bailey was hardcharging until a couple days ago (Douglas, we're still on to 15? -- and then to #10 too?)

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:09 pm

ohhh yah dasman.. don't you dare slow down or I'll snap your heels a good one!

You bet the race is still on to #15. One of my main computer's production is semi-permanently down since I started using it as a Freelancer server for a mod I made (Asgard RPG if you play Freelancer). But I'm scrambling for a way to replace those PPW's.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:46 pm

Douglas,

Don't worry, i won't overtake you before the year 2009 .. that's probably when i'll retire :P :)

unless i keep adding machines :twisted:

it's great fun to fold :)

Markus

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:09 am

Adding machines and also increasing their CPU power is the only way to do :twisted:

The worst case folder machine are my VIA 1200Mhz Nehemiah C3 :lol: It mostly return WU that late, that there is no credit for it - and Im affraid that it get already folded by someone else :cry:
Anyone having clue what happens when the folding machine is that slow, that can't hit the deadline, like mine C3 is? :roll:

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:12 am

trodas wrote:Adding machines and also increasing their CPU power is the only way to do :twisted:

The worst case folder machine are my VIA 1200Mhz Nehemiah C3 :lol: It mostly return WU that late, that there is no credit for it - and Im affraid that it get already folded by someone else :cry:
Anyone having clue what happens when the folding machine is that slow, that can't hit the deadline, like mine C3 is? :roll:
Ah, I've got a lower spec'ed "worst case folder" - a single-proc'ed P3 700/100 server. Oh well - it's not as if I use it for much else at work, so might as well join the cause :D.

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:37 am

I disagree with you, shathal, that P3 700Mhz is slower that 1200Mhz VIA C3 :wink: Don't let the Mhz fool you! The CPU is unbelaibly lousy at calculating anything :? :x
I don't know , why I folding on it anyway :roll: Sure as hell it never give my points :roll: ....and the benefit for project is qestionable too :?

Not to mention the Futurebark.com team members lauged at my poor production, pointing out the sad fact that I fold with 4 machines - not knowing how "great folder" are one of them :?

BTW, let the P3 fold, it's worth - mine Tualatin 1560Mhz (basicaly P3 with half the L2 cache, just 256k) folding pretty well and I even replacing it soon with faster one, that can overclock to 1680Mhz :P

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:41 am

Oh, I intend to let it fold. And I know my way around tually's :).

On with the good fold. :).

I wouldn't worry about your numbers. It's all for a good deed anyway, so you're helping out. A little help is still help :).

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:04 am

shathal wrote: Ah, I've got a lower spec'ed "worst case folder" - a single-proc'ed P3 700/100 server. Oh well - it's not as if I use it for much else at work, so might as well join the cause :D.
I've got a couple P3 600eb's oc'd to 800 that give me around 300ppw each -- would I rather they were upper end P4's or Axp's, sure. But they can still get the job done (one is a print server and the other a tape server, so they're on all the time anyway...).

To put these P3's in perspective -- running p1092 (gro) I'm currently getting 310ppw on the one. I've also got a couple of P4 2.0's running the dreaded p638 tink and getting 345ppw on those.

Dave
Last edited by dasman on Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

trodas

Post by trodas » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:06 am

Well, but it is help, when the WU is returned past the deadline... :?:

That's the question.

...i fear that the WU was the already let to someone else to fold, so I creating with the VIA just problems, and not helping :cry:

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:10 am

trodas wrote:Well, but it is help, when the WU is returned past the deadline... :?:

That's the question.

...i fear that the WU was the already let to someone else to fold, so I creating with the VIA just problems, and not helping :cry:
Why aren't you set up to run timeless tinks? I think there are some gromacs out there without deadlines as well. I believe that if you set the client to GAH only, they you get the ones without deadlines -- hopefully someone else will chime in ...

Dave

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:25 am

Well, I just learned that average WU deadline for some projects are about 18 days, so this is mostly acceptable and even the VIA C3 make it with Tinker :lol: :P
Hoooray! :twisted:

/me still thinkin about replacing the VIA with something much more powerfull, but how to cool it fanlessly? :?

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:22 am

Yep, setting your client preference to GAH will definatly give you work units without deadlines. At the moment it looks as if the only units without deadlines are those 44 point gromacs.

Anyway, if your machine is sometimes not making the deadlines you should definatly set the preference to GAH since the units you get then are not significantly worse than any other. I was almost tempted to try setting GAH preference recently to weather the p638 storm. My machine has been working 3 of these lately and they are consderably worse, points wise, than the 44 point gromacs (which aren't the best as it is).

In the end I may have broken even since I picked up 1 p680 among the p638s which is worth 237 points and takes about 3-4 hours less than the p638.

trodas

Post by trodas » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:40 am

Well, I tought the G@H is a different project, independent from F@H - seems that I was obviusly wrong :roll:
I rather leave the prefs alone and focus on upgrading speed of my lousy folders instead - this give much better boost and I not digging too much to the folding into way how to maximize my points. I feel it like a little cheating, perhaps? :roll:
Dunno, I just better don't touch it and let the machines fold alone :wink:

...the possible gain for SPCR when optimizing the folding "point-wise" will be still probably minimal, considering my extremly weak production:

...that's why Im still ashamed to add this nice stats to my signature, because the results are simply too bad yet :oops: :cry:

But I did not give up that easily! :lol:

Fold on!

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:10 am

trodas wrote:Im still ashamed to add this nice stats to my signature, because the results are simply too bad yet
Everyone should be proud of their contribution, no matter how big or small!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: No one should ever be ashamed or feel that their contribution does not matter just because they don't have access to as many systems as some of us (who are able to run at work).

Everyone counts, Everyone is important -- it's the sum of the parts that drives the team forward!

Trodas (and everyone else, for that matter), add your stats with pride to your sig. Putting the sig out there furthers the cause -- both the teams and Stanfords.

I use mine on most other forums I frequent and I can't tell you how many people have PM'd/emailed me about it, wondering what SPCR and F@H is. I'm sure that a decent percentage of those have starting folding for someone. I'm also sure that newcomer's to this site will see all of the sigs and wonder what it is and if they should find out more.

Every stat sig is advertising both F@H & SPCR.

Dave

mas92264
Patron of SPCR

Post by mas92264 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:56 pm

Go Dave! :)

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:50 pm

trodas wrote:Well, I tought the G@H is a different project, independent from F@H - seems that I was obviusly wrong :roll:
I rather leave the prefs alone and focus on upgrading speed of my lousy folders instead - this give much better boost and I not digging too much to the folding into way how to maximize my points. I feel it like a little cheating, perhaps? :roll:
Dunno, I just better don't touch it and let the machines fold alone :wink:
GAH was a different project but it is now finished so they are using the GAH preference setting in the console so people with slow machines can get work units with no expiry date. If your machine is not finishing work units then it is doing no good to anyone as stanfod resends that work unit out to someone else after the deadline has passed. Essentially you are just wasting power by letting your machine work units that it will never complete.

Of course with such slow machines the points output is quite low, but it all counts in the end. And on the optimising the client bussiness, if your machine is set so that it gets the most useful work done that it can then it is most useful for the team of scientists running the project. There is no reason not to set up your machine to do the most work that it can.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:54 pm

Very well said Dave.

Well seconded Mas.

I'll third it.

Trodas, you are very worthy of the sig, absolutely everybody who contributes is without any exception.

My Mate folds on a part time basis (2000 points so far), mainly when I provoke him, he doesn't post here or anywhere but he deserves to wear his sig. with pride if he ever does post.

He has made a contribution, he deserves to be proud.

You contribute more than me. I'm very proud of my contribution.

Add it to your sig. Be proud.

Pete

trodas

Post by trodas » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:48 am

Guys, guys... :roll:
You all are pretty much right and I can't argue with what all of you pointed out... :?
...actually, there is one more point that come to my mind about WHY adding the folding sig - to other novice folders aren't feel alone with their small starting points and add the "proud to fold" signatures too :roll:
(result = chain reaction, more sigs, more folders = more sig = more fold... = benefit for project)

The bad truth is there. Are you guys seen this?:

That's folding :roll:

...conclusion for me - I add the sig asap, when I get to the first 100 of SPCR folders :( According to the overtake infos, it should took about 22 days, but the time will be about 15 or 17 when I add next machine and upgrade the CPU of one already folding for me... :)
Then I can be at least a little proud of my poor production :oops:

dasman - easy to say for you, you are red and folding pretty well :roll:

Michael_qrt and peteamer - you guys did nto fold much, but have steady long time production and that's what count. Being so close or in the 100 best folders are nice :P

Fold on! :twisted:

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:42 am

trodas wrote: (result = chain reaction, more sigs, more folders = more sig = more fold... = benefit for project)
Exactly my point
trodas wrote: dasman - easy to say for you, you are red and folding pretty well
I had the sig days after starting folding -- I was ecstatic when I hit 150ppd (I think that was green back then). A couple of months later I started running at the office and that's when my ppd started increasing.

Here is the most important folding related comment I've ever read -- just as relevant now as when unregistered wrote it on Feb 1, 2004 @ 2:58am
unregistered wrote:3 is good too. It's not how many CPU's you have folding it's about folding with how many CPU's you have.
Dave

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:09 am

Douglas,

i think i'm back on your list again with 1276 average :D you better watch out, i'm only 152 days out ...

i don't think it will happen soon as i will shut down most of my systems when i go on vacation in mid july.

oh well, it was nice to see me right below david in daily production :)

TomCat

Douglas Bailey
Friend of SPCR

Post by Douglas Bailey » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:23 am

who can I borg.... who can I borg.....
dang this is getting bad.. you AND dasman... arghhhhhhh