Folding on a dual boot X2 machine

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Raygers

Folding on a dual boot X2 machine

Post by Raygers » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 am

I'm running two instances of folding on a dual processor machine, these are running in Vista, Beta2.
I like Vista but at the moment certain of my programs and devices aren't supported, so I'll boot into XP when needed.
However, I'd also like to get FAH to run on XP, using the same WU's that Vista uses so that there is no delay in production if I'm in XP. I'm also running it as a service.
Is there someone that can lead me through this. Or a site that has a good explanation of what's involved?

Ray

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:54 am

Hello Ray,

I have WinXP Pro and WinXP Pro x64 Edition as a dual boot, and I have the GUI version and the CLI version (as a service), running on both boots. All I did was install them both on one "side" (in separate folders), then reboot to the other "side":

on the CLI version, delete the client.cfg file and then double click on the executable and "re"install it as a service.

for the GUI version, just double click on the executable to install it -- then both Registries should be using the same instance and the same work files, too.

No matter which boot you choose, it will Fold with the same files. :)

Raygers

Post by Raygers » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:58 am

Thanks Neil, that seems easy enough.

The only thing that may screw me up I'm thinking is, I installed using Wedo's setup files, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=231247
If I use that for setup on the other side, I know it won't put the FAH folder in the same place and I can't remember whether it asked me where to put it.
However, that being said, I should be able to move the folder and the registry should reflect the new position shouldn't it?

I have to get my butt off to work now, :( but this is a project for when I get home tonight.

Ray

Raygers

Post by Raygers » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:51 pm

I just realized that I never got back here with an update.

I did as suggested, and installed the program on the XP "side", however, as I suspected, it referenced the "C" drive when the files for the other side are located on "F", which is really "C" when using Vista :lol:

It then was a simple case of going into the registry and editing all instances of FAH to reflect the proper drive.
It's working just fine, I'm folding like mad trying to keep ahead of "icefire", but I think I'm done for. By mornings first light I'll be eating his dust :cry: