Graphical Production Comparison - SPCR vs MacOSX

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

randalee

Post by randalee » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:47 pm

I think I'm just going to shutup and let the graph speak for itself... ;)

NeilBlanchard

We're pulling away....

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:02 am

Hello:

This may change in the future -- as it has already, but at the moment we're pulling away *strongly* from the MacOSX team! In fact, we're out producing our old nemisis, those pesky Kknnnnnnniggitss by about 1200 today and 1000 points for the week! :twisted:

Top 20, here we come! :P

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:04 pm

I have a feeling all that is about to change. Looking at the graphs we are already working on rectifying the situation.

It will not be long now... ;)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:18 pm

With the loss of one of our top folders, it will indeed require a heroic effort to fend you off NoahJ. The next 24 hours should give an indication of whether we can (somehow) manage to hold our own, or whether you and your team start seriously closing the gap.

David

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:34 pm

haysdb wrote:With the loss of one of our top folders...
Who did we lose David?

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:44 pm

Cosine wrote:...my folding days appear to be over
:cry:

randalee

Post by randalee » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:48 pm

Yes they have started a heavy push! Graph surprised me tonight!

Mustang Mac

Post by Mustang Mac » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:04 pm

I'd like to thank the Academy and all the wonderful members of our team. Here are just a few added since our "feud" began. Thank you SPCR! :wink: Mac evangelism is alive and well!

EuripidesBalzac
korky
gshorr
zennman
Bling***
ecarlsen
futuremac
VMarco
JayMack
alcimedes
Bubba_Sixpack
pjterrell
Jayplus
Werty
absentminded
gregmote
Bluebeetle
Lordoftoads
ChristopherMarks
SWFan
Johngress
Turnbull
saladshooter!
thepianoguy88
ErikS

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:47 pm

When you say "just a few", you aren't kidding. According to EOC Stats, those are just the new members in the "Past 7 Days!" We have just 106 active members. You have added 1/4 that many in just the last WEEK.

I'm not going out on a limb to predict that our humble team will just be another in a long line of conquests for Team MacOS X. A mere "bump in the road."

Feb 4 - AOA Forums
Mar 12 - Team AnandTech
Apr 10 - Dutch Power Cows
Apr 26 - EOC Folding@Home Team

I was hoping we could at least pass AOA before you do, so as not to slip a slot in the rankings.

David

Team SPCR eyes only: Now maybe they'll get overconfident and we can stay ahead of them. Hee, hee, hee.

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:35 am

Do I see you giving up already? :)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:05 am

Wrah wrote:Do I see you giving up already? :)
Not me. I'm still hoping we can pull a rabbit outa da hat. Performed a bit o' magic myself last night, turning a Barton 2500+ into a 3200+, but it's going take a lot more than that. It's going to take new members in unprecedented numbers, and I fear that my own cheerleading is wearing out it's welcome.

David

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:28 am

I'm slowly adding systems again here at work. Just put up two 2.2g Celerons. Adds 800-1000ppw.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:20 pm

haysdb wrote: It's going to take new members in unprecedented numbers, and I fear that my own cheerleading is wearing out it's welcome.

David
OK, as "da chief", I have a bit of pull: Why don't you announce a "call to arms" (to folding?) against the Red scourage -- uh, I mean Mac scourage. BIG BOLD LETTERS in the General area, call it a national (uh -SPCR-wide?) emergency and tell them what they need to know to start folding now. I'll back you up. :wink:

Mustang Mac

Post by Mustang Mac » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:45 pm

It's spelled scourge. And we are more of a green, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue scourge. So please call us by our correct name. :wink: Fold on amigos!

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:50 pm

Oh... I'm also going to be doing some virus cleaning on a friend's computer. He wants to pay me (which is good), but if it goes real easy I'll just ask to install F@H as a service. ;)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:30 pm

MikeC wrote:
haysdb wrote: It's going to take new members in unprecedented numbers, and I fear that my own cheerleading is wearing out it's welcome.

David
OK, as "da chief", I have a bit of pull: Why don't you announce a "call to arms" (to folding?) against the Red scourage -- uh, I mean Mac scourage. BIG BOLD LETTERS in the General area, call it a national (uh -SPCR-wide?) emergency and tell them what they need to know to start folding now. I'll back you up. :wink:
:oops: Eek, that sounds too much like public speaking. Scares me to death to even think about it. But I agree, it's got to be done, and I'll not shirk my responsibility as self-appointed "mouth piece." I didn't want to breach forum etiquette, but when da man hiself say big bold letter, I gives him big bold letter.

Give me a bit to "craft" my message.

David

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:16 pm

This'll get stuck on the main page too, eh? As a general proclamation of war?

I'll be adding another 3200Mhz of folding over the weekend. Every bit helps, right?

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:20 pm

Eh... fine idea. But let the general message be about Folding and what its research is doing. Maybe work in the SPCR vs Mac at the very end. If at all.

alcimedes

Post by alcimedes » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:26 am

i plan to add another 4 or 5 machines to my cabal.

except for you guys i'm on the wrong team.

if you hold off this wave, i'll be extremely impressed, but best of luck to both sides! you sprc guys got me folding again after i'd given up on it months ago.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:30 am

alcimides, welcome to the fold, even if it's the "wrong" fold. Would Magic Johnson have been the player he was without Larry Bird? Where would Coke be without Pepsi? May the best team win!

David

ArtCubed

Post by ArtCubed » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:40 pm

If you want a good view of the " G5 Box "
I have one of those at work...one of the 3 comps. I have to install folding on. When I'm done:

1) Dual 1.25 GHz G4 (Quiet-Moderately loud, will be real quiet by Sunday...), 1GB RAM, and all that other stuff that doesn't matter to folding. It's going now...I had a WU at 82% before I started experimenting with running 2 clients. That reset the WU :(

2) Dual 1.8 GHz G5 (Quiet)...I'm curious to see how this one folds

3) Athlon 1800+ (Inaudible) These WU's were under TheMuffinMan...I'll have to start it up again

4) P4 2.0 GHz (Quiet, will be inaudible by Sunday)

Hey, how loud are those G4's Plutronics? :D

NoahJ

Post by NoahJ » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:56 pm

Hey be sure you have permission first. ;) (that's a joke, settle down people!)

Glad to hear that a SPCR guy thinks that a G5 is Quiet. How quiet would you say?

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:58 pm

ArtCubed wrote:
I have one of those at work...one of the 3 comps. I have to install folding on. When I'm done:

1) Dual 1.25 GHz G4 (Quiet-Moderately loud, will be real quiet by Sunday...), 1GB RAM, and all that other stuff that doesn't matter to folding. It's going now...I had a WU at 82% before I started experimenting with running 2 clients. That reset the WU :(

3) Athlon 1800+ (Inaudible) These WU's were under TheMuffinMan...I'll have to start it up again

Well, well well.....if it isn't the elusive "muffinman."

Nice to see ya. :D

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:10 am

The graph is beginning to look REALLY ugly. It's looking like The Battle of Little Bighorn. Looks like the Mac lads have released all those WU's they had stored up. :?: Another day like today and they will pass us later TODAY according to Arachnid Stats. The six-color scourge put up 20,063 points in the last DAY, making them ORANGE on EOC. Is that "sustainable production" or just some freak alignment-of-the-planets?

David

ArtCubed

Post by ArtCubed » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:31 am

Beyonder wrote:
ArtCubed wrote:

Well, well well.....if it isn't the elusive "muffinman."

Nice to see ya. :D
OMG!!! GOLDFISHY! OV3RKILL!

Life's been busy...so maybe I'll make the longest post ever...if I can remember my password...

Plutronics

Post by Plutronics » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:45 am

ArtCubed wrote:Hey, how loud are those G4's Plutronics? :D
Per My Post Elsewhere:
I installed a remote fan control and can Hover my QuickSilver around the Room !!! :D :D
The fan noise from the 5 power macs sitting here with me on my 6 foot desktop is such that I can still hear the HDD's Spin up to speed , not to bad. I can't Afford a DB meter , as I've spent all my money on Folding :D
I also have a 6" personal fan under / at the back of the desk blowing up the wall and a 14'' pedestal in the corner. Right now it's negative 7.5 degrees outside , but I've been playing with these two fans gearing up for this summer !
I sent the 6th mac off for an Upgrade , Mr. Pismo , the Powerbook , G3@400MHZ to a G4@550MHZ for $330 including tax and shipping. Thats 250 MFLOPS to ~ 1900 MFLOPS !
And the new # 7 Mac will show up in ~ 10 days ! :D :D ( the wife's iMac will make it 8 total :D )
and last but not least is I'm the one that started the WU storing up fabrication , I didn't think anyone would take it serious :D :D
What you see in the Charts is what you get ... Make that what's going to Get You ! :D
Pluts

saladshooter!

Post by saladshooter! » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:05 am

haysdb wrote:The six-color scourge put up 20,063 points in the last DAY, making them ORANGE on EOC. Is that "sustainable production" or just some freak alignment-of-the-planets?
The recruiting efforts of Sailfish, Macaholic, NoahJ and the others was a huge success as you can see by our increase in production. It was fun while it lasted but it is time we move on to bigger and better opponents. I wish SPCR future successes and many conquests... Team OS X won't be one of them however. :)

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:50 am

saladshooter! wrote:...it is time we move on to bigger and better opponents. I wish SPCR future successes and many conquests... Team OS X won't be one of them however. :)
May you receive all that you so richly deserve. :|

David

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:20 am

Plutronics wrote:I installed a remote fan control and can Hover my QuickSilver around the Room !!! :D :D
We can probably help you with that.

Seriously, I went in search of information on a fan that came in a power supply, that was noisier than hell, and what did I find but that it was the same fan as used in the QuickSilver. Simply a poor choice on Apple's part on that one. I guess they have "learned their lesson," but it leaves G4 owners with either just "living with it" or replacing the fan with a quieter one, which still keeps the power supply adequately cool. Sorry about the "lecture," but making computers quieter IS what we do here! :D
The fan noise from the 5 power macs sitting here with me on my 6 foot desktop is such that I can still hear the HDD's Spin up to speed
Yes, but that's only because their hard drives are so damn noisy ;)
I can't Afford a DB meter
Useless for measuring PC noise in any case, simply because different noises are more annoying than others. It's not the absolute "level" of the noise, but also the "character" of the noise.
I'm the one that started the WU storing up fabrication , I didn't think anyone would take it serious :D :D
Not everyone (maybe not even anyone) would agree, but I thought that was clever. Evil and cruel, but clever. I was 90% sure it was BS, but I wasn't SURE.

Thanks for being a cool dude Plutz. You have certainly been an annoyance, but "in a good way." :lol:

David

Plutronics

Post by Plutronics » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:32 pm

:lol:  Folding , Folding , Folding , Keep them Macs a Folding , SPCR-acide :lol:
    1382.7 Points to GO , Waiting for them to throw the towel , It's been a brutal fight , Ladies and Gents !
Fold  Fold   Fold   Fold   Fold   Fold  Fold  AND THEN FOLD SOME MORE !  
We have moved to a faster better server:
Visit TEAM MacOSX ! :lol: