computer runs cooler without the case

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

baekacaek

computer runs cooler without the case

Post by baekacaek » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:36 pm

So ive noticed that my computer runs a bit cooler without the side case cover. Is it ok to use my computer without the cover?
p.s. i dont have babies or pet/dogs at my house

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:33 pm

Which parts of your computer? CPU? North/Southbridge? HDs? Graphics cards?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:03 pm

Greetings,

What that tells you is that the air flow is too restricted through the case. If you were to cut out the fan grills, and/or open up the air intake vents, that it would run cooler with the cover on, and it might also be quieter, too.

baekacaek

Post by baekacaek » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:36 pm

my computer does not have any fan grills (the grill is part of the case). Yea my computer case does not have much air ventilation besides a 90mm system fan in the back and few air holes on the side.

my system, cpu, and harddrive runs cooler. i think my gcard runs cooler too because i get texture corruption when i have the case cover on. when i take the case cover out and restart the game, the texture corruption goes away.

btw, to clarify things out, my case cover is just 1 side. (think of it as a dice with one side open) not sure if you guys know what i mean by that :shock:

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:54 am

Hello,

The stamped fan grills are the worst offenders -- check for the numerous threads on the use of tin snips! :o