My appreciation

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kickaha

My appreciation

Post by kickaha » Tue May 13, 2008 8:22 am

Hi all, just a new user.
I'm trying to update my home hardware and bumped into SPCR. It's really, really, really a good reference for newbies like me. I'm not missing (almost) any new review. Ones I'm not interested, too, you cant' tell... :mrgreen: Seriously, I really appreciate the scientific approach.

A little of me.
My current system is old (say, 2002), P4 Northwood 2.0GHz based. It's used 24x7 for web services, daily for office-like task and as (poor) htpc.
I'm looking for an upgrade both on the HTPC side and in power consumption (and silence!).

Roughly my road map will be to build a silent/efficient htpc; should it be enough efficient, it will become also my 24x7 server, otherwise I'll study a cheaper/efficient system for that.
At first I thought the two requirements (good htpc and power efficiency) were mutually exclusive, but I understand that "contenting" myself with a 35W idle consumption, will likely make that feasible.

The new system will be picoPSU-fueled, 4850E based (never heard of? :) ), on a M2A-VM HDMI motherboard (I still need TV-output, so 780G ruled out :roll: ). I'm just waiting for a couple of piece from my shop (mostly the CPU :( ) and then I'll fire it, hoping it won't burn... err, I'll turn it on and start measuring. :)

See you on the forums for updates and advice.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue May 13, 2008 9:06 am

Welcome to SPCR!

You might as well post any follow ups on this thread? :wink:

kickaha

Post by kickaha » Tue May 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Sure, thank you!

Erssa

Re: My appreciation

Post by Erssa » Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 am

kickaha wrote:The new system will be picoPSU-fueled, 4850E based (never heard of? :) ), on a M2A-VM HDMI motherboard (I still need TV-output, so 780G ruled out :roll: ). I'm just waiting for a couple of piece from my shop (mostly the CPU :( ) and then I'll fire it, hoping it won't burn... err, I'll turn it on and start measuring. :)

See you on the forums for updates and advice.
Welcome to SPCR. I'm actually in the middle of building a similar budget computer for my uncle. In the middle of means here that the components have been ordered. My setup will be:

Case and psu: Antec NSK4480B
Motherboard: M2A-VM HDMI
Processor: X2 4850E
Cpu cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 PWM
Memory: Kingston Valueram 2GB 800Mhz DDR2
HD: WD Green Power 500GB
Optical: Samsung SH-S203P

I picked M2A-VM HDMI, because it's cheap and has parallel port for his old printer. It's pretty amazing what you can do with 300€ these days.

kickaha

Post by kickaha » Thu May 29, 2008 6:32 am

Thank you.
Yes, it's cheap and it's an all-in-one for video output, ranging from tv-out to hdmi.

My configuration will be:

Case: old P2 minitower (used horizontally and slightly modded)
PSU: picoPSU 120W + 110W AC-DC adapter
Motherboard: M2A-VM HDMI
Cpu: 4850E (stock cooler, at the moment I've seen too low temperatures to upgrade)
Ram: Kingston Valueram 1GB 800Mhz DDR2
HD: WD 2.5" Scorpio 250GB

Probably i'll add a second 1GB ram, an additional 10/100 pci ethernet card and the tv tuner.

I've just entered the bios (1501, does not recognize the cpu) and consumption is about 55W with default settings.
The next step will be to flash the 1705 buggy(?)-beta-bios, since 4850e is supported only with it, and install O.S.