Now i have good soundlevel but problem with temps.

New to PC silencing? Read & post your questions here. Dedicated to rosy_toes.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AckeDman

Now i have good soundlevel but problem with temps.

Post by AckeDman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:04 am

Hi everyone... hope you arent tired of me yet. :)

I need some advice as i built a system that at first was very loud. After i tinkered with diffrent stuff i have found a good soundlevel. Now i need some help with a side-effect wich is weird temps.

Current set up is:

P182
Asus P5K-E Wifi
Q6600@3ghz(1.35v in bios)
Noctua NH-U12P (fan<700rpm)
2 noctua NF-12P chassifans@<700rpm
1xWD caviar GP 750gb(in scythe quiet drive)
gainward geforce 9600GT(fan at 25%rpm wich makes it inaudible).

The story is i used to have 2 seagate HDDs that were louder then the one 750gb WD GP. Replaced the seagates and turned down the Noctuas fanspeeds with fanmates and i got a pretty quiet system. I have 1 fan at the top HDD cage running as intake, 1 fan on the cpu and 1 fan running as exhaust in the back.

Problem i have is that my temps arent even close to good.

The temps are according to everest in Idle:

CPU: 44-49c on hottest core depending on if im doing nothing or surfing.

GPU: 44c (small 40-60mm fan at 25% speed)(plan on changing the cooling)

HDD: 23-35 idle (scythe enclosure works great for sound and cooling!)

Motherboard: 40-46c (this isnt normal is it? can high MB temps bring up cpu temps?)

FYI this is my second mobo... the first one i bought was a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R wich had my cputemps at 29c idle at stock speed. Now i cant get my CPUtemps below 35c at idle.

I dont have any pictures to upload of my system for you guys to analyze the aiflow as of yet because im writing this at work but i can say that i have taped up the top ventilation wing but not the top vent. I need to drill holes if i want to add a fan in the top ventilation because i removed the mounting brackets for the top fan(stupid i know).

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 am

Problem i have is that my temps arent even close to good.
The temps are according to everest in Idle:
CPU: 44-49c on hottest core depending on if im doing nothing or surfing.
GPU: 44c (small 40-60mm fan at 25% speed)(plan on changing the cooling)
HDD: 23-35 idle (scythe enclosure works great for sound and cooling!)
Motherboard: 40-46c (this isnt normal is it? can high MB temps bring up cpu temps?)
your temps are absolutely fine. the only one that is slightly high is the CPU temp, but then it is a quadcore and it is overclocked, so of course there is more heat. you could try undervolting with RMClock/CrystalCPUID.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Thu May 29, 2008 1:27 am

OK i have never heard of those programs. Also i have tried going down 1 notch on Vcore but it wont run stable on anything under 1.3v@3ghz.

Might be a platue thou (meaning it will run stable at [email protected] as well or stable at [email protected] or something.)

One thing i forgot to mention is that even thou the Idle temps arent dangerous my load temps on the cpu is 68c and no signs of stabilizing. My plan is to put a fan at the top vent by drilling 2 holes and mount with rubber mounts. That fan would work as a exhaust as i think i might just not have enough exhausts.

It should atleast turn down the temps 4-6c at idle.... and problably 10c at load.

Isnt the motherboard temps too high? Im thinking of maybe buying a noctua passive NB cooler. But i would only do that if it would lower my CPU temps.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Thu May 29, 2008 4:08 am

Like Jag said, all your temps are fine except for that CPU load temp. I'm surprised that the Noctua can't handle the Q6600 at load, but then again it is overclocked quite a bit. Do you know what stepping Q6600 you have? If it's one of the first, it looks like you'll need to either speed up the fan on the Noctua (or perhaps get a slipstream, which should push more air with the same amount of noise) or turn down your overclock.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 am

I have a GO stepping.

I will try adding a fan as exhaust on the top to see what effect it has on the temps. I could have sweared i saw some people that had alot better loadtemps then me:cry: .

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu May 29, 2008 5:15 am

Well, you can hardly get a more efficient heatsink, except maybe for TR HR-01 Plus.

One option to keep the rig quiet even under load would be getting a water-cooling setup. If you really want the hassle, that is.

My simple solution is to use variable fan speeds. (And I believe that's why some people get better load temps than yours.) Somehow, air movement sounds don't seem to bother me much when I'm focused on aiming at heads. I let them go to 1000rpm when really needed, which is not very often, certainly not when I'm just working or listening to music. This assumes, of course, that your work doesn't require stressing the CPU that much.

maalitehdas

Post by maalitehdas » Thu May 29, 2008 6:58 am

Those temperatures are great compared to my 1.4 GHz CPU with 63 celsius. I think I made my old computer just too silent, and now I'm letting it be and just waiting for it to die since i have a new project going on. How is your ambient temperature?

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 am

Asus has the motherboard temperature sensor on a "hot spot" and asus motherboards do have a normal operating temperature of 40-60 degrees Celsius, according to asus.
according to intel your cpu may reach 71 degrees, (cpu temperature, not core temperature).
It's always frustrating if the cooling isn't good and you haven't figured out yet how to fix it. Good luck!

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Thu May 29, 2008 11:08 am

thanks for the feedback.

I might just wait a couple of months and then try and sell my processor and buy a Q9300 or Q9450 instead. Wont have to worry about too high temps with thoose i guess.

FYI: Right now im running at stock settings and @2.4ghz and 1.264v(CPU-Z) full load my temps are 65c on hottest core 4min into prime.

Im in shock.... shouldnt this be the case only if i was running with stock cooling... some day soon when my GF isnt home for a couple of hours im gonna check my HSF mount.

when i run the exhaust fan at 1200rpm the temps are 59c on hottest core. But that makes the system too loud to concentrate. Still 59c is kinda bad when running at 1200rpm.

I know i have proven good components when it comes to the fan,case,hdd,psu,cpu,memmory... only things i have that arent the best seems to be the motherboard and the cooler.

The mobo is decent.

Can it be that my cpu is just one of the not so good ones?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Hello,

Your temps are fine! Lower the overclock if you want lower temps? Are you sure that you need that voltage to achieve a stable oc?

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Fri May 30, 2008 1:49 pm

Temps look close to stock, actually.

Up the CPU HS fan to 900rpm. (usually this is about 7V vs 5V) - couple of db more noise but tons more efficient cooling. That fan, a Noctua NF-P12, at 700 rpm puts out a paltry 25-30 cfm(900prm nets ~35cfm). The S-Flex 800rpm is closer to 35cfm and below the nose of the other fans.

My CPU is also about that hot(old Pentium D) and 5V on a 1200rpm fan and a Ninja ends up in a slow thermal runaway scenario. 7V/~800-900 rpm ends up keeping everything exactly at stock levels and in the green.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri May 30, 2008 4:04 pm

id go so far as to say your temps are great.

temps at load that i feel perfectly comfortable with:

CPU: 70c
GPU: 100c
HDD: 55c
Motherboard: 60c

I dont start to worry until i break one of those.

AllergicToNoise

Post by AllergicToNoise » Fri May 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Your mobo temperature is normal. Asus P5K's run "hot" due to the location of the temperature sensor near to the VRM.

From Asus FAQ:

This motherboard have been specially designed to express the importance of temperature management of the memory VRM (Voltage Regulator Module, or often called power circuit), as the cooling of memory VRM are often ignored or unnoticed by many users, though it is the key to overall memory stability. Due to this reason, the motherboard temperature sensor has been placed right next to the VRM circuit, allowing the motherboard to reflect the rise and fall of memory VRM temperature at real time. For the exact location of the motherboard temperature sensor, please kindly refer to the photo as shown below:

In order to lower the temperature, we strongly recommend all users to ensure there is sufficient airflow passing through the memory VRM. This can be achieved via the following ways:
1. The rearrangement of cables inside your chassis, to ensure there is no blockage to stop cold air from entering memory VRM zone.
2. The use of CPU fan which brings sufficient airflow to its surrounding. (Higher fan spin may be required depending on the use of CPU fans.)
3. Add extra fan to blow onto memory VRM directly.
Note: The effect of above suggestions can be verified by monitoring the effect to the motherboard temperature reading under [Hardware Monitor] inside CMOS Setup screen, or via PcProbeII or AISuite under Windows platform.

Due to their special design, the recommended motherboard temperature is also a little different to other motherboards not adopting such design. It is recommended to maintain your motherboard temperature of these three motherboards between 0 to 65 degrees Celsius to ensure overall stability of your system.

End Asus FAQ.

I use the Noctua NH-U12P on a E2160 (1.8 Ghz OC'd to 2.7 Ghz).
To reduce noise I mounted the Noctua P12 fan (high static pressure) in my Corsair 450VX psu running on 800 rpm.
With the standard fan in the PSU, the Corsair blew out real hot air and the PSU-case was really hot. The fan was noisy.
Even the top of my 1mm steel Antec Solo ran hot! Since I changed the fan, the Corsair is cool and quiet.
On the NH-U12P cpu cooler I mounted a Scythe S-Flex fan running on 700 rpm.
As back chassis fan I'm using a Noctua S12 fan, also running on 700 rpm.
My core temps idle are 29 degrees (ambient 21C).
Full load with Orthos: only 44 C on both core's.
Only the mobo temperature runs high: 45C. But according to Asus that's notmal.

So I suspect you should reinstall your Noctua NH-U12P on your cpu.
But use, one and only one, tiny rice grain of Noctua's thermal paste right in the middle of the cpu.
Nor more then one small rice grain, otherwise there's too much thermal paste and the temps wil actually rise.
That's my personal experience.

Good Luck!

sanse

Re: Now i have good soundlevel but problem with temps.

Post by sanse » Fri May 30, 2008 11:06 pm

AckeDman wrote: ...Problem i have is that my temps arent even close to good...
wel..., as said by me in your general gallery: in the end it all comes down to a tradeoff between temps and noise. with present hardware that is the case if you also want a fast performing computer.

nothing wrong with your temps. if you want them lower with that hardware just turn the fans up.

at the moment with a t-ambient of 24C the cpu in my rig is at 40C, the gpu at 50 and the hdd's at 30 and 34.

>>>
viewtopic.php?t=47722

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat May 31, 2008 5:22 am

Perfectly good temps considering that you have high OC on CPU and reduced fan speed cooling it...

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm

when im running stock speed on cpu and highest rpmspeed on fans i still dont get below 59c.... most people can OC a Q6600 to 3ghz and still have under 60c... i know this means they are using 1200rpm on fans but even when i do use 1200rpm on my fans i still dont go below 60c... i dont think its the fan speed setting.

When i have the time im going to try some stuff like resetting my cooler, adding a top exhaustfan and in the end maybe even just buy a new mobo and cooler.