D-Link DIRE655 router wireless setup problem - need help!!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen

D-Link DIRE655 router wireless setup problem - need help!!

Post by Stephen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:50 pm

I just replaced my router - going to the D-Link DIR655. Setup worked fine for my desktop. However, I'm having an issue with my laptop. The laptop finds the wireless network connection, says the signal strength is excellent, and shows it as connected. However, when I try to open the internet, I get an error message that I'm not connected to the internet. I've tried to follow the directions in the manual - to no avail. HELP!

mellon

Post by mellon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:42 pm

A couple of things to check: run cmd and from command line type "ipconfig /all". Does your wireless connection have valid IP address, gateway and DNS addresses?

Also, it might be that the problem is with your encryption settings. This may cause the Windows wireless service to think that you're associated with the access point even though the encryption keys do not match and thus the network connection cannot work.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:45 am

Same problem setting up my new Linksys WRT54GL. Not happy. :?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:49 pm

mellon wrote:A couple of things to check: run cmd and from command line type "ipconfig /all". Does your wireless connection have valid IP address, gateway and DNS addresses?

Also, it might be that the problem is with your encryption settings. This may cause the Windows wireless service to think that you're associated with the access point even though the encryption keys do not match and thus the network connection cannot work.
I ran ipconfig /all. It gave me an IP physical address that is a series of 5 sets of 2 characters, which doesn't look right. It also said "IP Routing enabled - No" and "WINS Proxy enabled - No". Is this right? How do I get a valid IP address, gateway, and DNS address?

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:21 pm

HI Stephen, the five sets of two characters is your hardware/MAC address, a network I.P. add. is usually 192.168.*.* on a home network, maybe 10.0.*.*. (The *'s may be single/double/triple digit. )

Using ipconfig /all, is DHCP enabled?

"ipconfig /renew" will force windows to clear all info and request new.

Other command line switchs can be found by typing in "ipconfig /?".

Have you set-up a password for your wireless connections?

Does your router have MAC add. filtering turned on?

Good Luck
Pete

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:40 pm

With a lot of advice from this and other forums, I was finally able to get everything up and running. Thanks!