XP SP3 RC1 is available now.....it works!

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

XP SP3 RC1 is available now.....it works!

Post by Bluefront » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:01 am

Link

It'll be a while before I can get it.....let me know how it goes. :lol:
Last edited by Bluefront on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:00 am

I'm no lab-rat, I will give it a good couple of months and find out what problems other people have had.

It's damned nice to know that its nearly here though, and in pre-release form it has given up to a 10% performance boost to some systems and tests.

Andy

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:11 am

andyb wrote:and in pre-release form it has given up to a 10% performance boost to some systems and tests.
Links/Quotes?.....

Ta

Pete

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:24 am

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:03 pm

eh personally i side with XP. as a 18yr old gamer and a son of MS employee, i used vista starting since the betas, i saw a loss in performance in the beta and in the RTM.. i mean look at all of todays computers and technology, every things getting smaller annd faster, now i know the object isn't to be able to run vista on 128mb or ram but its to have 4Gb of memory and have an os that runs on less than the last version of the os, imo MS has shoved aside the fact that things are getting smaller , as an example would you like to drive a car the size of a tractor trailer that can go 200mph or drive an average size car that can go 180mph, as most of us know you CANT install vista if u dont have 512mb of ram or more on boot it takes put about 300mb of ram idle.... i prefer Linux, the down side to that is there isnt nearly the game support

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:54 pm

as a 18yr old gamer and a son of MS employee

i prefer Linux
:P

OK, I know I bullshitted your words, but that is damned funny.

One of the many things I have seen and laughed at with Vista was a PC with 4GB of RAM, which was all visible due to 64-bittiness and no on-board graphics, when the machine booted up it cached everything...... except 4MB of RAM.

If I didnt know that Vista cached everything under the SUN I would think that the OS is a little bit greedy with RAM, however the PC was much slower than when it had 2GB of RAM and a 32-bit version of XP. (4800+ X2, and fast SLI graphics on a highend board - no slouch).

Anyway, SP1 for Vista offers nothing, but SP3 for XP offers loads - WTF are MS playing at.

Andy

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:23 pm

It works....I down-loaded it today from my link in the first post. I used the authors site...went pretty fast, about an hour for me (at work). I had just done a restore on a Gateway with XP Pro-SP1. The install went perfect...no problems. It did check for a valid serial # at the start.

From what I can tell, this service pack only installs the critical updates, since SP2.....maybe some other stuff that is not noticeable. I know the Autopatcher program gave you a bunch more programs. This SP3 gives you no options....installs everything with one reboot at the end. Frankly....I don't see much to recommend, certainly not enough to go through a bunch of trouble to get it.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Frankly....I don't see much to recommend, certainly not enough to go through a bunch of trouble to get it.
Which is why I only usually do major OS updates (service packs) the next time I re-install, and I dont do any other updates whatsoever, that is beside the point anyway.

What's good is that you installed it with no issues from a PC with SP1, what more is there to say as I presume that you didnt run a whole bunch of benchmarks before and after..... it works, and any performance/security benefits are a bonus. I'm in no rush to install it as my current install works perfectly and until I upgrade to a 1TB F1 and image my system I wont bother. If anyone else try's it I will read their findings.

Andy

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:10 pm

andyb lol dont worry you pretty much summarized my whole statement, lol my step-dad gets pissed every time i say something about a MS product, only if more game companies would support Linux, i can only dream :lol: