How To Remove Google Sponsored Ads

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

How To Remove Google Sponsored Ads

Post by andyb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:27 pm

*** Problem now fixed, with thanks going to "judge56988" for the solution. ***

Here is how to remove those pesky "Google" adverts that may lead to inexperienced "googlers" installing malicious programs onto their PC's.

1. Download and Install Firefox (english version in the link).

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

2. Install Ad Block Plus.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

3. Now I have discovered the particular lines that remove these ads, you now have a choice between adding them manually, or using a subscription list.

3a. Subscribe to Easylist USA for ad Block Plus.

http://easylist.adblockplus.org/

All of these things are free, you are welcome to donate them money if you so desire.

3b. Add the following lines manually by going to adblock plus, preferences, add filter, insert text, apply, OK.

google.com,google.ca,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.se,google.pt#table(id=mbEnd)(width=30%)

google.com,google.ca,google.co.uk,google.com.au,google.co.il,google.se,google.pt#div(id=tads)

You can remove or add any google.xxxxx you want/need, for example I only have google.co.uk in those lines. FYI, the bit that does the business is the # and the following text.

*** Original Post below. ***

Having had a minor issue with my PC, I removed various peices of software (security stuff). I re-downloaded them and noticed that Google is helping spead malicious software with its "Sponsored Ads".

Take for example Googling for "Ad-Aware" the widely respected and used free malicious software removal program. A novice PC user might very well go to one of the Sponsored Ads and download horrible software believing it to be genuine.

I then started to Google for a way to disable "Sponsored Ads" so I can install this software onto peoples PC's as a standard sprogram to install (like FF, and Ad Block Plus).

I found this program http://www.customizegoogle.com/ Which doesnt look to great, but I have installed it anyway. I then looked through its options and promptly un-ticked everything except "Remove Ads".

It works, but this software looks rather dodgy in itself. Simply put, by default it tries to point your searches to various other search engines (as though that was the point of you using Google but without the horrible adverts).

Has anyone else used this peice of software.? If so, can you please let me know your experiences. Or better still - is ther a better way to remove the nasty "Sponsored Ads" from Googles searches - ideally with Ad-Block plus, or something that is at least more trusted than "customizegoogle"

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:09 pm

What are these "Google Sponsored Ads" that you're referring too? I see none on my computer, no matter what site I'm on. I'm using a late version of Firefox along with the "Adblock Plus" plugin.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:31 pm

+1 to what Ralf said. I don't see any sponsored ads when I do google searches. (Firefox, Ad Block Plus, no script)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:49 pm

+2
FF,adblock,NoScript
whats an ad? :)

Fred

Post by Fred » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:58 pm

+3.

:3

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:04 am

Can you guys/girls try opening up Internet Exploder, go to www.google.co.uk and search for "adaware".

I see 3 "sponsored links", they are adware-2009.com, adwaread-2009.net, then the actual thing I have just searched for. There are more "sponsored links" on the right as well.

You should see them from IE. I am not interested in IE at all, but I expect you have not installed anything to block them on Ie so it is simply being used as an example. If you lot dont see them from within FF please tell me what you have installed to disable them - you are either blocking them with adblock, or no script. I dont really want to use "customise google", I would prefer to use something else - if so what, and do I need to do anything with it.?

I am currently running FF 3.09 with the current version of ABP installed, and I used to see these ads until I installed "customise google" I then posted this topic a few minutes later.

Andy

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:13 am

andyb wrote:Can you guys/girls try opening up Internet Exploder, go to www.google.co.uk and search for "adaware".

I see 3 "sponsored links", they are adware-2009.com, adwaread-2009.net, then the actual thing I have just searched for. There are more "sponsored links" on the right as well.

If you lot dont see them, please tell me what you have installed to disable them - xan_user is eitrher blocking them with adblock, or no script. I dont really want to use "customise google", I would prefer to use something else - if so what, and do I need to do anything with it.?

Andy
OK - Did exactly what you said and the sponsored links appear in IE.

Running Firefox 3.0.8 with AdBlock Plus and NoScript, like the other guys. Don't know what in particular is stopping the sponsored links here. Also have Targeted Cookie Opt Out add-on installed, don't know if that affects things in this case??

Hope this helps.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:43 am

andyb wrote:
I am currently running FF 3.09 with the current version of ABP installed, and I used to see these ads until I installed "customise google" I then posted this topic a few minutes later.

Andy
Since the only difference is whether you have No-Script installed, I'm guessing that's your answer.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:50 am

I just tried disabling adblock plus and did the test again - this time the sponsored ads did appear. Have to assume therefore that you need to fiddle with settings in adblock plus or reinstall it. I'm pretty sure I didn't change it when I installed it, just used it as it came.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks Judge, I also found that it must be ABP because noscript doesnt do it.

I have a customised list within ABP, otherwise it on default settings.

Noscript is about to disappear, and I will fiddle with ABP

Andy

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 am

Doesnt seem to work.

Having done a bit of googling, it seems that the 2 things I want to block are the "Google AdWords", and "Google AdSense".

I specifically want to block the AdSense, AdWords doesnt bother me a lot because its off to one side.

Any ideas.?

Examples:

https://www.google.com/accounts/Service ... ugl%3Dtrue

https://www.google.com/adsense/static/e ... rmats.html

Andy

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:52 am

The subscription list I used when setting up ABP was "easylist USA" - that includes both /adwords and /adsense.

Worth a try?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 am

The subscription list I used when setting up ABP was "easylist USA" - that includes both /adwords and /adsense.
Genius :mrgreen:

It works perfectly, and is a doddle to Install. It does not require you doing anything else afterwards either, so this is by far the simplest solution against the lack of scruples of Google.

http://easylist.adblockplus.org/

Well as this is now a fixed issue, I will add to my original post a simple "how to" for anyone else who wants to turn those things off.

Andy

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:39 am

Sheer chance really Andy, I remember I only used that list because I couldn't find one specifically for the UK.

Good that you're sorted.

nick705

Re: How To Remove Google Sponsored Ads

Post by nick705 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:52 pm

andyb wrote: Here is how to remove those pesky "Google" adverts that may lead to inexperienced "googlers" installing malicious programs onto their PC's.
Been using Adblock/Adblock Plus for years, what are these Google adverts you speak of... :lol:
CA_Steve wrote: Since the only difference is whether you have No-Script installed, I'm guessing that's your answer.
NoScript on the other hand is a major PITA... unless you use it in "blacklist" mode (in which case it's practically worthless anyway) it's simply more trouble than it's worth IMHO. I finally dumped it after my online tax return went titsup (I'll spare everyone the boring details), courtesy of NoScript, or rather my own failure to nanny my browser through every site I visit in NoScript-approved fashion, in spite of the fact that I have a life...

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:18 am

NoScript on the other hand is a major PITA
I removed it within minutes because it did NOT block those Ad's, and it was constantly asking me questions.

I have updated my first post with the "how to" for those people who dont want to have a subscription. You can add 2 lines manually to your custom list which will get rid of these ads.

Andy

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:00 am

NoScript isn't an ad blocker per se...it's a script blocker. Things like click-throughs to 3rd party sites, malicious download scripts that trigger when you click on a picture, etc... Yes, having it set to whitelist is a pain when you go to new websites....but only once. Set and forget. When I go to new sites, and I know I'll be using forms, etc, I get in the habit of looking at the scripts before I start browsing.

For general browsing of unknown sites, I'd rather have it enabled than having unknown scripts running. It's your PC's latex cover :D

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:57 am

CA_Steve wrote: For general browsing of unknown sites, I'd rather have it enabled than having unknown scripts running. It's your PC's latex cover :D
Just came across this: http://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-noscript-users

Bad NoScript. :x