Need Help on Canon EOS Utility on my Canon Xti

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Happy Hopping

Need Help on Canon EOS Utility on my Canon Xti

Post by Happy Hopping » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:48 pm

Whenever I download the files from the camera to the hard drive, I know the date as the software creates a separate sub-dir on the date that I shot the photo.

But during this download, the EOS software uses the current date and time to create the JPG.

So I ends up having the Date Picture Taken with whatever the current time is, say Jun 29, 2007 6 am. I want to be able to view from software like ACDsee, Total Commander, among other software, that the "Modified Date" as the "Date Picture Taken".

Besides using Attribute software to alter Date Modified as "Date Picture Taken", is there a way for the EOS utility to date stamp the "Date Picture Taken", as the Date Modified during the download from the camera to the hard drive?

rbel

Post by rbel » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:01 am

I suggest that you post your query on the 400D/350D/300D forum at http://www.dpreview.com/ - there is bound to be someone there who can answer your question.[/quote]

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:45 am

thanks, I'll give that forum a try.

Jason W

Post by Jason W » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 am

That's weird. I have never used Canon's EOS Utility software with my 20D or 30D. Are you connecting your camera directly to your computer, or are you taking the memory card out of the camera and offloading the pictures with a CF card reader?

I used to use Canon's DPP processing software, but now that I have Photoshop CS2, I only use that. And I have a Mitsumi combo floppy/flash card reader drive in my computer, so I don't connect the camera directly to my computer ever. I always offload the RAW files by inserting the CF card into the card reader, and then use Windows to explore and transfer the files. I've never had any issues with the files showing an incorrect date for when the picture was taken.

Not sure if this helps or not. The linka bove to dpreview.com is a good one. You can also try Fred Miranda's forums at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:38 pm

The camera is directly connected to the computer w/ a USB cable. I don't have any CF card reader.

The bottom line is, the computer sees the Modified date as the moment I transfer (Download) the photos from the camera. But i don't w/ that. I never really modified those photos. The date should be the date I create the photos.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:16 am

It seems to me that whatever download utility is changing the "Picture taken on" date. Wouldn't it be easier just to get a card reader? Then you could copy the files manually.

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:13 am

For the $20-$30 that universal card readers cost, they're a great buy. Not only can you transfer your own photos without the nonsense of "utilities" but you can always grab photos from other people's cameras as well without having to worry about whether they brought the cord.

So much more convenient if you throw a party to just grab the stick out of a camera than to ask your friends to email them back to you later.