Space Heater

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

branko623

Space Heater

Post by branko623 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:03 pm

I know it sounds odd for the summer, but I simply need a space heater where I live (uncontrolled AC in a dorm)

So I got a small space heater, however, the fan inside this thing is about as loud as a blow dryer, im guessing its double ball bearing.

I really don't want to buy a new space heater at this point....

So, I was wondering, about how dangerous would it be to replace the fan and rewire the heater with a nexus or sycthe 120mm?

scdr

Post by scdr » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Alternative approach - how about doing a writeup for the campus paper
about energy waste. [Flame on] It is irresponsible to be wasting energy to cool the building and then trying to heat it up again. Even if you do not directly have to pay the bill - we all suffer for this approach.
With more greenhouse gasses, and higher fuel bills, etc. [Flame off]

Dealing with others may be an initially more difficult approach, but
it also has a bigger potential payoff. (In terms of protecting the environment, helping control tuition costs, and helping others deal with the problem - you are probably not the only one (many are cold, but few are frozen).)

It is definitely possible to provide more localized temperature control
(e.g. see the DIY zoning project). Of course you are limited on DIY in a dorm, but if blocking your cooling vent doesn't work, get after the administration. Point out how they are wasting your money freezing you.
Take it as an opportunity to raise some awareness of environmental issues.

As far as the retrofit - be really careful of voltage/amperages and DC vs AC. I would be a bit surprised if a space heater used a DC 12v fan (like the Nexus/Scythe). Would expect them to use an AC fan. Also, since you are in shared housing - check out your legal situation. If you modify it and it starts a fire you could be looking at serious liability.
But if you just want a space heater, why not try a Prescott P4. ;-)

Max Slowik

Post by Max Slowik » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:55 pm

You'll probably melt a PC fan and set your room on fire. . .

Plus the aforementioned solution is very appealing. By the way, what's "uncontrolled"? and given that it's July, ball through it some. You know, put on a sweater. It's been about a hundred every day here for quite some time and I go around wearing pants. People aren't that frail.

Longwalker

Re: Space Heater

Post by Longwalker » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:03 pm

branko623 wrote:So, I was wondering, about how dangerous would it be to replace the fan and rewire the heater with a nexus or sycthe 120mm?
This has got to be a troll.

Try that and there's a fairly good chance you'll set the building on fire.

Just open a window.

branko623

Post by branko623 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 am

Well, the school paper would probably help the poor students who like warmer temperature in this dorm in the long term, but that doesn't help me now :P (im living here another 6 weeks) Im ussually pretty bad at raising a fuss about anything, much less against a housing administration. I know however that I probably wouldn't be the first, a few friends that used to live here complained.

Uncontrolled means that I can't really control the cooling, I really wish they would try to keep it at standard room temperature constantly. Now I did try to block the vent, but that sorta failed.

Opening the window is actually a bad option, often that just creates a draft from under my door to my window, with me at my desk in between (its just as cold in the hallway, and the humidity outside is far too high even if it did work).

Anyway, its very possible that the fan is AC, don't know how they could fit a DC transformer in there (or want to, thing was really cheap).. and looking at it, its some form of thicker plastic than your regular case fan

Now I could use my PC as a power source for the fan since its so close to my placement of the heater, and if worse comes to worse, the heater should shut off (supposedly has such a safety feature). I'll probably try it out and see.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:39 am

branko623 wrote:I'll probably try it out and see.
If you're lucky, the heater will shut down automatically before it overheats. If you're unlucky, you will be unpopular with any surviving co-residents of your dorm... :P

Trekmeister

Post by Trekmeister » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:55 am

nick705 wrote:
branko623 wrote:I'll probably try it out and see.
If you're lucky, the heater will shut down automatically before it overheats. If you're unlucky, you will be unpopular with any surviving co-residents of your dorm... :P
Yup, hopefully there is some small thermostat and overheating protection. Those small heaters (at least in the more arcic areas of the world) usually draw 1-2kW. While some of it is used by the fan, most of it still is pure heat output. I would not try to cool a computer using 1-2kW with a single low-rpm DC fan.

vanhelmont

Post by vanhelmont » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 am

Branko,

Your room must have some vent that's putting out cold air. Why don't you get a piece of cardboard that can cover it, and a roll of duct tape to hold it in place.
Or sometimes vent covers easily unscrew. Then you cut cardboard to fit behind it and screw it back on.
A lot safer than running a space heater without an adequate fan.

branko623

Post by branko623 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:58 pm

Now, I did try the vent thing, and it did keep the room at a reasonable temperature, however, various noises began comming from the vent, ticking noises, etc. Which was bad both because I prefer the whole silent thing and I didn't want the thing to break.

Sigh, I knew I should have gone to an apartment.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Hello,

You can try an infrared "heater" -- they are a low frequency light bulb, with no moving parts.