xp rebooting on shutdown command

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

besonen

xp rebooting on shutdown command

Post by besonen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:37 am

i have an xp system that reboots when i issue the shutdown command.

this problem was not occurring prior to uninstalling symantec antivirus.

at this point i just need the quickest solution to prevent windows from rebooting. i.e., is there a registry setting that will completely disable windows ability to reboot?

any alternative suggestions (even if they are not quick) will be happily accepted too.

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:58 am

I'd suggest popping in a Windows install CD and repairing the concerned install. Failing that, try Ubuntu :P

besonen

Post by besonen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:38 am

floffe wrote:I'd suggest popping in a Windows install CD and repairing the concerned install.
that's a thought but i'd sooner perform a clean install--given the random results i've seen from attempting repair installs.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:58 am

A repair install is no help if it's the AV causing Windows to reboot to finish tasks. Uninstall Symantec, get something that won't cause problems?

Oh, and have you disabled "reboot on system failure"? Computer properties -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery, Settings -> System failure, Automatically restart. Remove the tick and see what happens.

In regards to Ubuntu, it's flashy and neat and all that, just remember to take care of this: http://www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanat ... r-and-tear

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 am

Maybe you got some Symantec componets (like file system or network hooking drivers) not removed from system?
After you'll disable automatic restarts like described above, you should see blue screen instead of restart - write down error codes and module name from there and post here.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:21 am

You might try downloading and running the Norton Removal Tool. I've had success (removing leftover or borked Norton apps/components) with it several times lately.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:57 am

Ralf beat me to it, Norton sucks balls - I assure you that you will have a happier computer now its gone. Oh and this is STILL a Norton created problem :x

The other problem if its just a coincidence could mean hardware failure, if the Norton Removal Tool doesnt work and you still have problems after a clean re-install then your PSU or Mobo could be up the creek. You can try to blame this on Norton as well :D bit you wont have any luck :x

Andy

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:05 pm

I once had similar problems after unistalling Norton in XP.

Going into regedit and searching for and deleting every entry with "Norton" and/or "Symantec" cured my problem.

Give it a shot...

sun.moon

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:51 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:In regards to Ubuntu, it's flashy and neat and all that, just remember to take care of this: http://www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanat ... r-and-tear
Getting a bit off-topic here, but that only happens if you enable laptop mode. No worries for a desktop user :)

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:08 pm

I used to have that problem when running W98SE using an elderly keyboard design. The timing of the old keyboard was incompatible with faster CPUs. If you have an elderly keyboard design, try using a different - and more modern - keyboard?

Those old Northgate keyboards were great to type on, though! :D

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:02 am

floffe wrote:
Das_Saunamies wrote:In regards to Ubuntu, it's flashy and neat and all that, just remember to take care of this: http://www.linux-hero.com/rant/explanat ... r-and-tear
Getting a bit off-topic here, but that only happens if you enable laptop mode. No worries for a desktop user :)
Just thought I'd bring it up. The choice is still there for a desktop user to make, whatever their reasoning for doing so. :wink:

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Re: xp rebooting on shutdown command

Post by klankymen » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:34 am

besonen wrote:i have an xp system that reboots when i issue the shutdown command.
I had the same problem on my vista install (amongst other problems), and now since 2 days I'm back to xp, with no such problems.