Did U know... USB HDs can write data quieter AND 4x faster ?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jjr

Did U know... USB HDs can write data quieter AND 4x faster ?

Post by jjr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:51 pm

:!: Caution this is about registrey editing.

Just discovered this after buying an external HD for my backups.
So far I had always done it through CDs or network devices.

Starting to back up and ... gosh :x only 5Mb/s writting : I was shocked and feeling abused.
What was this shit they had sold me !?!? (a Lacie Quadra at that ... not exactly the chepeast stuff)

Furious anger ... start to investigate the damn thing, try a bit of Linux and come through the Synchronous / Asynchronous setting and miracle .... the bandwith springs up to 25Mb/s.

But where is the thing in Windows ? After a bit of investigation, turned out that it is the write cache enable setting in the drive properties. That you cannot touch (disabled) on external HDs.
MS bull.... wrote: because if you unplug incorrectly or you have a power failure you have a chance of losing / corrupting data
1 - Last time I had a power failure at home was was ... well, can't even remember,
2 - Like the problem would not affect internal HDs but then it is OK !
3 - If you unplug savagely in the middle of the transfer the chances is the result looks pretty bleak anyway, regardless of an 8 Mb cache, and you are going to start all over again,
4 - If you unplug while the transfer is finished and the data still in cache.
Well at 8Mb cache / 25 Mb/s = 0.25 second, it is a hell of a fast move !!

All in all and after a little further investigation, all you need is this (to be adapted to your own drive serial) :
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_ST332082&Prod_0AS&Rev_3.AA\8&26635641&0&00D04B751804CE71&0\Device parameters\Disk"
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_ST332082&Prod_0AS&Rev_3.AA\8&26635641&0&00D04B751804CE71&0\Device parameters\Disk" /v UserWriteCacheSetting /t REG_DWORD /d 0x1 /f

Result transfer rate up from 5 Mb/s to 25 Mb/s :twisted:

Side benefit the HD heads do not go back and forth uncessarily (while before they would semingly go back to the default position between each file) and it is A LOT QUIETER !! 8)

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Hmm... all my external USB drives can have write caching enabled via the device manager. My drives top out at 25-30MB/s regardless.

jjr

Post by jjr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Amourek wrote:Hmm... all my external USB drives can have write caching enabled via the device manager. My drives top out at 25-30MB/s regardless.
Which is your OS ???

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:13 pm

jjr wrote:
Amourek wrote:Hmm... all my external USB drives can have write caching enabled via the device manager. My drives top out at 25-30MB/s regardless.
Which is your OS ???
Pretty sure mine does too, and it's winxp sp2.

jjr

Post by jjr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:22 pm

Yeap just checked ... XP does. :oops:
But Win 2K doesn't ... and I have to use it :(