Linux/web server books

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jrscherer

Linux/web server books

Post by jrscherer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I didn't fully know if this was the best place or not but figured it was worth a shot and know this community is very helpful, I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions on linux books, along with this I'm trying to set up my own web server on there like a LAMP.

The major issue is I don't want one of them simple set up things, I want to fully configure and install it all myself with mainly whatever help I can find from a book without having to just "cheat" my way to it. There were a few LAMP books I was looking at but I was wondering what suggestions from the community would be.

Thanks.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:47 pm

I'm confused, isn't reading from a book "cheating" just like reading a website? There are plenty of resources that can guide you along. From an automated LAMP install part of Ubuntu server to do-everything-from-the-command-line, even compile your own kernel if you really want to kind of tutorials.
Last edited by LAThierry on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrscherer

Post by jrscherer » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 am

Sorry if that was confusing, I didn't mean cheating that way, I meant cheating by using an install that already has every preconfigured.d

FlorisNielssen

Post by FlorisNielssen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 pm

You can find a lot on the internet. Helped me out setting up my webserver (apache2).
What I did: just start. Start with installing the kernel. After that, what do you want? Apache2? Install that, config it. If you don't know what to do, look on the internet. You'll find a big hell of a lot resources with sites like www.linuxguruz.com. If you look, you will find anything.

Good luck.