Ridiculous Advertising

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Ridiculous Advertising

Post by blackworx » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:52 pm

When I was posting this I was reminded of an advert I saw recently in Custom PC magazine.

The marketers were obviously having a bit of a field day with the double entendres when they came up with this one:

Squeezing out every last drop indeed.

Any other examples of over-enthusiastic marketing nonsense?

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:23 pm

not sure about coolermaster... but a lot of these companies are based out of asia and their marketing departments have only the faintest grasp of the english language (much like some of the youth in north america)...

that's how asus comes up with slogans like "rock solid, heart touching"... sorry, but a motherboard has never touched my heart in that way....

really, how hard is it to find someone who writes english half decently?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:49 am

LOL @ the Coolermaster case ad- they may as well just go the whole hog and make the case in the shape of a massive penis.
that's how asus comes up with slogans like "rock solid, heart touching"... sorry, but a motherboard has never touched my heart in that way....
honestly tho, who buys a motherboard because of the marketing or packaging? the main criteria are features (ie SLI/XFire, novel cooling/heatpipes etc, all-solid caps etc), so it would be a waste of money and resources to splurge on coming up with a witty slogan or whatever. And in the original Chinese, "Rock Solid, Heart Touching" is actually a pretty pithy slogan.... :lol:

comedy Chinglish abounds on the 'net:
http://www.engrish.com/category_index.p ... =Chinglish

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:50 am

jaganath wrote:LOL @ the Coolermaster case ad- they may as well just go the whole hog and make the case in the shape of a massive penis.
LOL ! That thought never crossed my mind actually. I just read it a thought: "meh".

Theres alot of great examples of chinese/japanese etc. companies not hiring an english speaking marking guy. Cant find any right now though. :?

I was in China 4 years ago.
I saw a sneeze guard in a chinese restaurant that had i little sticker in the corner. It said: "Keep your head". :lol:

Also, a sign at the "end" of the great wall (the rest was in really bad shape) said: "The dangrus road. Be careful, your safe." :)

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:57 am

AuraAllan wrote:
jaganath wrote:LOL @ the Coolermaster case ad- they may as well just go the whole hog and make the case in the shape of a massive penis.
LOL ! That thought never crossed my mind actually. I just read it a thought: "meh".
It was my gf who spotted it first, pointing it out and guffawing loudly. I'd already read the mag cover to cover. It's hardly subtle, but I think in general we are so inured to the ridiculous gibberish in hardware ads that it just passes under our radar, to the extent that they can get away with such tongue-in-cheek nonsense.

I can just imagine the conversation in the office the day they came up with it:

Marketer #1: "Hey John, I bet you I can get away with this on a full page spread"

Marketer #2: "Ha ha no way - you're on!"

Marketer #1: "We're so funny. The geeks will never notice."

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:08 pm

for more examples of english marketing gone horribly wrong: www.engrish.com