I thought I knew what BIG was...

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psiu

I thought I knew what BIG was...

Post by psiu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 am

I thought the Zalman 7000Cu (all copper) was hefty.
I thought the Zalman 7700AlCu was large.
I thought the Accelero S2 was monstrous.
I thought the Zalman ZM80D-HP was brutish.
I thought the Aerocool HT101-jr was big.

Got my Ninja in today.

:shock: :D 8)

walle

Post by walle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 am

Wonderful mate, I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it. :)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 am

Ya, I remember the same thing when I got my Minja. I thought, "Man, this is huge! I thought it was a Mini!"

I really wish I could be in the same room as the Orochi, just for giggles.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 am

jhhoffma wrote:Ya, I remember the same thing when I got my Minja. I thought, "Man, this is huge! I thought it was a Mini!"

On the subject of the Orochi, someone showed me these on YouTube:

Stability of PushPins

Stability of PushPins Reloaded

I'm not sure how much credence to put in this (superglue?), but if they're genuine, I guess those of us who've moaned about Scythe's pushpins may have to eat our words...

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 am

I've had a Scythe Ninja for over three years so it doesn't seem big anymore--even in my micro ATX cases. Now that my main system is LGA775, I wish I had kept my original SCNJ-1000 instead of the SCNJ-1100P (rev.B). But I have a Coolink BAT1VS for that system which is actually taller and wider than the Ninjas, but not as deep.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

QuietOC wrote:I've had a Scythe Ninja for over three years so it doesn't seem big anymore--even in my micro ATX cases. Now that my main system is LGA775, I wish I had kept my original SCNJ-1000 instead of the SCNJ-1100P (rev.B). But I have a Coolink BAT1VS for that system which is actually taller and wider than the Ninjas, but not as deep.
I got the 1100P, but it's going on an AM2 board so no pushpins.

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I have the original. LOSERS!

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:46 pm

nick705 wrote:I'm not sure how much credence to put in this (superglue?), but if they're genuine, I guess those of us who've moaned about Scythe's pushpins may have to eat our words...
I'm not worried that the push pins won't hold. It is that the mounting force of the push pin bracket is too low. Also a few of the push pins are very hard to release--like the ones at the top of motherboard--especially in a tight microATX case.

I think the original was a little better made, but I did have to lap the base on mine, so maybe not. What is really sad is I sold the original for $19 on eBay--someone got a great deal.
Last edited by QuietOC on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psiu

Post by psiu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:37 pm

QuietOC wrote:
nick705 wrote:I'm not sure how much credence to put in this (superglue?), but if they're genuine, I guess those of us who've moaned about Scythe's pushpins may have to eat our words...
I'm not worried that the push pins won't hold. It is that the mounting force of the push pin bracket is too low. Also a few of the push pins are very hard to release--like the ones at the top of motherboard--especially in a tight microATX case.

I think the original was a little better made, but I did have to lap the base on mine, so maybe not. What is really sad is I sold the original for $19 on eBay--someone got a great deal.
I just got the SCNJ-1100P (rev.B) (including the fan, in box with all goodies) for $29.99 shipped on ebay. Pretty happy with myself. Shipping usually kills it anywhere else...and I *was* able to tell the difference between the Ninja and the Radeon 4670 boxes without looking :D

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:13 am

QuietOC wrote:I'm not worried that the push pins won't hold. It is that the mounting force of the push pin bracket is too low. Also a few of the push pins are very hard to release--like the ones at the top of motherboard--especially in a tight microATX case.
Not only that, but they do not hold up to repeated installations/removals very well.

But interesting video, nonetheless.

Zenphic
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zenphic » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:36 pm

nick705 wrote:
jhhoffma wrote:Ya, I remember the same thing when I got my Minja. I thought, "Man, this is huge! I thought it was a Mini!"

On the subject of the Orochi, someone showed me these on YouTube:

Stability of PushPins

I'm not sure how much credence to put in this (superglue?), but if they're genuine, I guess those of us who've moaned about Scythe's pushpins may have to eat our words...
Wow, the motherboard was getting some punishment!

walle

Post by walle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 pm

nick705 wrote:On the subject of the Orochi, someone showed me these on YouTube:

Stability of PushPins

Takes fanboyism to an all time high, or, the man was pissed with Scythe being maligned for using pushpins, or, perhaps he wanted to destroy some gear which some guys could work months for, really rubbing it in their faces (bitching now), or, he aimed for a five star rating on YouTube, which he actually could have achieved using some LED fans but he didn’t know that and where’s the drama? (really bitching now), or, he merely sought some attention, (almost done now, promise) or, he ticket all previously mentioned and went for broke (no pun).

8)

carguy

Post by carguy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:18 am

Or maybe the motherboard/cpu were non-functional to begin with.