Teaching religion in school is child abuse ?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:47 pm

This is a perfect example of why children should not be taught religion at school, but should be taught "about" religion in history lessons. This should include the persecution it brings - remember jesus was gay/bi - the "church" does not always folow its patrons. Example in the link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8015711.stm

Andy

silchris

Post by silchris » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:31 am

InfyMcGirk wrote:IMHO, religion is an adult's prerogative. It should be the result of:

(a) a prison sentence
(b) a blinding light
(c) a mid-life crisis

... or any combination of the above.

Children can't make informed decisions about religion, so they should be protected from it otherwise people can take advantage of their vulnerability. Just like the age of consent for sex.

Religion has no proper place in schools.

I used to be a bit more indifferent about the dangers of religion, but then religious idiots started trying to pollute the science curriculum with all the 'intelligent design' nonsense. Trying to crow-bar such bullshit into children's minds under the cover of science is certainly an abuse of the children's trust, if not actual child abuse.
I agree 100%. This is one of the sanest posts I've ever read.

BUT if children ceased to be endoctrinated by religions' so-called "values" then our societies would cease to exist as they are. That is, very small but smart, powerful and self-serving groups could no longer EXPLOIT large masses through that endoctrination which as history shows by the hundreds of appalling examples, has been a breeding ground for hatred for well over two millenia.

Our species might be then at real risk of having level-headed, respectful, real democracies which address REAL PROBLEMS such as its own survival* , imagine that!

* our planet can sustain 3 billion humans, possibly up to 5 billion via worldwide use of organic micro-agriculture. We all know that the population already exceeds 6 billion, multiplying like rabbits with political "leaders" everywhere always talking about more and more "growth." It is crystal-clear that we are plunging towards extinction... for a species that always braggs about being the smartest on the planet we are in fact extraordinarily stupid.

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:15 am

silchris wrote:
* our planet can sustain 3 billion humans, possibly up to 5 billion via worldwide use of organic micro-agriculture. We all know that the population already exceeds 6 billion, multiplying like rabbits with political "leaders" everywhere always talking about more and more "growth." It is crystal-clear that we are plunging towards extinction... for a species that always braggs about being the smartest on the planet we are in fact extraordinarily stupid.
I agree with what you're saying except that I can't envisage complete extinction. I would not be surprised to see a severe "adjustment" in numbers in the next 100 years or so; however humans have done so well as a species largely because of their ingenuity and ability to adapt to and survive in so many varied habitats. I would expect small numbers to survive in various parts of the world. Whether they learn from our mistakes or start the whole thing over again, only time will tell.
Many species have a 'boom and bust' cycle in their numbers, why should we be any different?