New production: Rain (Original Mix)

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LodeHacker

New production: Rain (Original Mix)

Post by LodeHacker » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:27 am

Today morning I started fooling around and came out with a nice melody and now I've been busy for 3 hours to get the mix done. This is not a final mix I believe, more of "fooling around". Anyway the purpose of this track was to reflect the weather in Finland; in particular when it was raining in the morning. I'm not sure if I want to continue working on it and eventually master it, so I'm posting it here hoping for feedback.

Don't ask me what genre this is, I just produce the music but if I had to put it under a certain category then probably Techno (but I'm sure some will disagree). Without any longer speech here it is in MP3 format to listen and download: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=dayCr2

EDIT: Too bad supload looks much more promising than it is. Or maybe I'm the only one with problems with it. At any case I uploaded my track to rapidshare as well: http://rapidshare.com/files/243105462/Y ... _.mp3.html

Thanks.

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Sounds nice :)

The bass inversion happens too quickly, and the retrigger on the rimshottey thingy is a bit annoying. You could also use some "fat" in the second part of the song.

Do a gradual buildup, you can buy a solid two minutes there. Make a bridge. Fatten it up and invert in the second part, and for the love of god, never, ever use a fadeout.

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:56 pm

Nice little trance tune! I listened to it quite a few times on repeat. This kind of music works well as background music for me, no lyrics to make it too distracting. It's raining today in Perth too, so quite appropriate.

Only suggestion is to get rid of the little bit after the fade out. Just fade to silence and leave it at that.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:13 am

Thank you for the feedback! I agree about the bass, maybe I'll try also adding more different percussion to make the track more interesting. Never ever use a fade out? Ending a track is one of my weak points, any ideas :oops: ? Oh and about the last part after fade out, I really don't know how it got there :lol:

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 am

That's the thing - a fadeout clearly says "oh dear, I don't know how to end this" :)

Just cut the leads and leave a straight beat with bass, percussion and FX running. Then cut the bass and later on cut the kick and something. The track is currently unmixable.

Edit: By the way, I wonder if you'll switch away from "cheese" trance in a few years :)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 am

Actually I'm more interested in Techno and House. This kind of "cheese" Trance is not what I usually do, it's just the melody that I liked :P It shouldn't be hard to incorporate it into a real Techno or House track, though. At any case you inspired me enough to continue working on the track, but I'll redo it from scratch preserving the melody only.

You also produce / mix music? For this track I used Cubase, but sometimes I use REAPER as well. Synths are usually done with z3ta+, any suggestion on what kind of VSTi to look for getting "classic" Techno sounds?

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:50 am

I'm an old trackerhead... Ironically, I haven't done much since the world evolved and softsynths replaced crappy 8-bit samples :(

I'm fond of Vanguard, Triangle II and Claw, but then again, I'm pretty much into trippy trance :)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:06 am

Matija wrote:I'm an old trackerhead... Ironically, I haven't done much since the world evolved and softsynths replaced crappy 8-bit samples :(

I'm fond of Vanguard, Triangle II and Claw, but then again, I'm pretty much into trippy trance :)
Trippy ya say? How about uplifting? Sometimes I make uplifting tracks for my mother and she plays them back with her old Sony Discman while doing Yoga :D She can be very demanding though and won't accept the usual trance ;)

I'm into the tracker scene as well and sometimes just for the fun of it I bootup my father's old Amiga 500 and play around with OctaMED ;)

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:25 am

Uplifting = cheese ;)

I'm more into oldschool and newschool goa trance. Complex and layered to hell and back. Something along these lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6W8IDhDnhs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTgO7TzVzZE

Jesus, I always get goose bumps from quality goa...

Renoise is currently *the* best tracker, in case you're a bit behind the times :) Check out what keith303, one of the musicians that have my utmost respect, does with Renoise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8xhs2M9_X0

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 am

Goa :|

Nothing against it but I don't like it...
Last edited by LodeHacker on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:30 am

The best music ever!

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:34 am

Matija wrote:The best music ever!
Infected Mushroom?

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:35 am

Not goa ;)

Their early work was nice. Then they went over the line with experimenting and doing complete nonsense...

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:49 am

Matija wrote:Not goa ;)

Their early work was nice. Then they went over the line with experimenting and doing complete nonsense...
I used to say that Goa was Indian masochism, today it's just 604 :lol:

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:52 am

Psytrance is masochism. Goa is beautiful :)

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 pm

Matija wrote:Psytrance is masochism. Goa is beautiful :)
I think now we both agree, Psytrance is like suicide, just more painful ;)

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:00 pm

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 pm

I thought you meant psychedelic with psy. Well of all the trance genres I favor eurotrance and in particular progressive trance. In techno everything under detroit is awesome :P