Any IDE desktop craddle/caddies out there?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

markyb

Any IDE desktop craddle/caddies out there?

Post by markyb » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:53 am

Anyone got any or one that they havent or wont use again? i have a few hard drives all IDE from the old pc i would like to hot swap and use for photo/video and such. I have a few caddies with hard drives already in but keep taking them out and in etc would be a pain for me. Ive looked at a few places online which only sell the Sata variants now. One of my local component shops sold them recently as a "one off" but didnt think they was in such high demand!!!
i know there are USB types but the power supply for the IDE will be a pain as well. All in all. the desktop craddle would just suit my needs so much better.. even tho there not available anymore :evil:

Gojira-X

Post by Gojira-X » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:59 am

I tried looking back in January and I found a some in Equanet (sister company to PC World) and a couple of other shops. The secret is to search for "Mobile Rack".

I did a search amongst the tech shops I use and have come up with this from Aria. You can also get more choice going to a manufacturer like ViPower

markyb

Post by markyb » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Im going to sound ungrateful here and im not at all.. thank you for routing that out for me.. :) I think i have explained it wrong tho mate. So my apologises for that.. i think its also known as a docking station? which is a desktop device through USB and comes up as a removable device on the OS.

like this but in IDE

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149269

:)

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I was looking for the same thing for the same reason a few weeks ago and came across this. Then I considered getting a Scythe Kama Connect but in the end I thought why bother keeping a bunch of old small capacity drives in drawer somewhere, when for an extra tenner I can buy a new 500GB drive with more capacity than all the old drives put together.
I just have to overcome my reluctance to chuck out things that still work.
Also I am not sure how reliable the old drives would be over time.

markyb

Post by markyb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:16 am

Thanks for the reply.

I can see your point.. even tho i have plenty of Sata ports internally with the new mother board. because ive suspended the hhds the why i have, i dont have the space to mount them anymore in the thee hundred case i have.. Maybe i could fit 1 in the 5.25 bay which could be the answer. the IDE drives i have are a 160gb, 80 gb and a 250gb so there is some good storage to be had there.

I'll have a think and then either get a cheap adapter kit of ebay or buy another sata drive and use that internally i think..