Question for Sony Vaio owners

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jbw

Question for Sony Vaio owners

Post by jbw » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 am

I am thinking about getting a Sony all-in-one (link below) but I have a question for Vaio owners. I know that Sony doesn't include Windows reinstallation CDs with its systems but that you can burn them yourself from images provided on the hard drive.

If anyone has done this, are the CDs that you create normal Windows installation discs, or "factory restore" discs that will automatically reinstall all of the extra crap as well?

Thanks.

Here's the system I'm considering:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 4294965730

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

As far as I know all recovery media includes the OS and all addon software (crapware) that gets re-imaged to the PC.

The best way to fully install a system nicely is to get youself OEM-untouched media, either from a friend or from a reputable torrent, and to use it with the CD-KEY that is printed under the laptop.

This is legal as you are using the liscence you are entitled to. You will then need to install your own drivers ( which SONY likely has on their site). This requires some work but in the end you get a much more 'clean' setup.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 am

Thanks. I figured as much--it shouldn't be too much of a PITA, but it's one more hoop to jump through (which weighs on my decision to get one).