Need rec for backup software

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jbw

Need rec for backup software

Post by jbw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Currently I use a backup program that works like this: I have folder A on my main hard drive and folder B on a second drive (the backup). The program compares each file in folders A and B, then updates the files in folder B if a newer version exists in folder A (and of course copies any newly-created files). Pretty standard and brute-force.

I am moving the backup drive to a network drive where the scanning/comparing process described above will be very slow. Is there a backup program that will take a "snapshot" of my folder A and allow me to compare it with a later snapshot of the same folder, then copy only whatever changed to folder B (thus eliminating the need for the scanning of folder B)?

nick705

Post by nick705 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Syncback SE and Syncback Pro have a "fast copy" mode designed for slow networks, where a database is used to track changes in local folders rather than re-scanning and comparing the remote folder each time. Very capable programs, if perhaps a little pricey for what they do (I wouldn't recommend the older and feature-limited freeware version).

You could also check out FreeFileSync, which scans source and destination folders bafflingly quickly, but with (so far) 100% reliability in my experience. It's a fairly new project and the documentation's still a bit lacking (just a readme.txt file in the installation folder detailing the advanced options), but it's far and away the best free syncing utility I've come across to date.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:48 am

Having had "Karens Replicator" suggested to me some years ago on this very forum, I have been using this and telling many other people about it. It is very fast on a 100Mb network, but fast depends on many things. Mostly the quantity of files that need to be checked (it does it in the same fashion as your current software), and of course the amount of actual data that needs to be copied depends on the speed of the network.

Why dont you just set up the PC's to run the backup at night, and setup an automatic PC shutdown a period of time after the backup would have finished in.

Andy

jbw

Post by jbw » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Unfortunately it's not a 100Mbps connection; it's Wireless-G. Scanning each file will be simply too slow, even for the fastest program.

I'll check into the Syncback programs. Thanks.

JohnnyBoyClub

Post by JohnnyBoyClub » Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 am

You can also try Dmailer Backup software just google it because i can't post url's yet they have a lot of features that may please you but if you somehow don't find them post it on the forum and they will update in the next version and add that feature if you are lucky to convince them :) .
I will search for more softwares oh and i forgot to tell you that dmailer also have 3gb free space for online backup don't know but after my oppinion in your case you need more than 3.

Take care

jackvinsly

Post by jackvinsly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:46 pm

There is so much date recovery software are available in the market. I just to buy one data recover form the recovery bull site. It was amazing software . If you any body wan to data recovery software for any device so this site will you help to fide for related data recovery software.

slingshotuk

Post by slingshotuk » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:55 am

I like online backup solutions. I currently use Idrive to backup my development server (and VPS server) and it works a treat. Great to have peace of mind that everything is taken care of automatically.

It also supports instant backups as files change etc..