silencing a GF4MX @360mhz with a zalman cpu heatsink

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mathias

silencing a GF4MX @360mhz with a zalman cpu heatsink

Post by mathias » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:05 pm

Hello, I'm new here. I have an ASUS 9180TD (MX440-8x) which overclocks to 360mhz core / 620mhz ram (above which it artifacts), which seems to be the loudest component in my system(based on stopping the fans one at a time). I'm planning to quiet it down by replacing the stock fan with a volcano 8 ( http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... HERMALTAKE ) and running the fan at 5v.

The stock cooler is about 75x55 mm without much room around it, so I'm planning to saw the volcano8 down at one corner.

I'd prefer not to permanenetly attach it. I'm pretty sure the original mounting things won't work because of the thicker base. I'd like to bolt it on, but the mounting holes might be too small, and I'd have to remove a few of the fins, and I'm unsure about how difficult drilling the holes would be. I'm probably going to try using arctic alumina adhesive mixed with ceramique 1:1:2. Is string at all a reasonable option?

I'm concerned about the weight (285g). Around when does it start to get dangerous? Is weight more of a problem with thermal adhesive, or with bolts? Would removing the copper base to reduce it be a good idea(do GPU's heat up over a larger area than CPUs?)?

I don't have much experience with this kind of stuff, so any suggestions or warnings would be appreaciated.
Last edited by mathias on Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

mathias

Changed my mind

Post by mathias » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:32 pm

I just noticed that the CNPS3000+ is a featherweight (148g, I'm assuming with the mounting clip), is only 52mm wide, and also would take up only 3 extra slots, so I think I'll use one of those fanlessly instead. If nothing goes wrong, I might want to remove it and reuse it when I upgrade my video card.

I'm a little surprised that I can't find any mention of anything like this here. Does this sound like a good or bad idea?

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:24 pm

The heatsink still hasn't arrived, but I decided to test how this method of attaching it will work. I heard that arctic silver/alumina epoxy and compound mixed 1:1:1.5 is quite weak, so I decided to use a 1:1:1 ratio. I used a mixuture of about .2ml of each of the three parts to stick together two little pieces of metal with a 60g fan taped to one of them over 1cm square of contact area and let it set for 4 hours. I picked it up and moved it around and it held. I reapeted this up to 200g and it still held, I was a bit surprised by this. Maybe I might have used a bit less ceramique than I intended to, but I don't think I did. I'll let it set a bit more, and tomorow I'll try to separate it.

If a GPU is at least 2cmx2cm like I assume, then I guess this could be used to even stick on a CNPS 6000 AlCu.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:33 am

Hi, I can't offer any specific advice on ratios etc but Zalman do a ZM17 heatsink for video cards that is intended to be glued on so what your proposing is fine in principle. It's only the execution that may be difficult. you can buy (at a price) thermal adheasive. I doubt a GF4mx takes a lot of cooling, even very overclocked.
You could use the existing mounting holes in your card if you put the new heatsink in possition and mark through the mounting holes on to the heatsink with a marker, sharp point etc. Than drill holes in the heatsink and bolt through them of use self tapping screws.
Glue's probably easier! But less safe and harder to undo.
Seb

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:25 am

Yeah, I know a zm17 is sort of a cnps3100 made for video cards. I think the adhesive that comes with it is also irremovable normaly. I already have alumina adhesive, though it is kind of expensive. I don't think I can drill through this heatsink because it doesn't have an actual solid base, the fins are bolted together. Drilling is also convenient in it's own way, you can quickly stick it on another card if it has the same mounting holes.

I tried twisting it appart today, it came appart okay but not too easily, and less gradually than I expected, it popped of. I'm kind of worried because this is with only 1 square cm of contact area, with 2cmx2cm of contact area or more, it might be kind of hard, I guess I'd have to heat or freeze it and pry it off. And I noticed the adhesive spilled over the intended contact area, so it might be weaker than it seems.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:38 am

Done. No more high pitched noise. It was pretty easy, I didn't even need to heat or pry off the stock heatsink, although I'm not sure if I got the alumina proportions just right, it's rather annoying how the ceramique tube isn't see through with a ml label on the side like the alumina adhesive, but I guess you're not supposed to be using that stuff in a mixture.

I haven't tested the speed fully, but it does flicker/artifact a little at 360mhz like the stock cooler does in the summer, so it doesn't cool as well as the stock cooler did in winter, but I don't think I applied the thermal mix too well.

Looking closely at the stock cooler, although the heatsink is 55x75mm, it doesn't seem very effective, the 40mm fan appears to be mostly blocked of from the heatsink around it.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:15 pm

Tested it a bit more, goes up to 350(and the heatsink does not get very warm at this speed), not sure how much heat that is but I guess it's at least equivalent to an mx460 plus the difference between an mx440 and an mx460. I find it a little hard to believe that this heatsink can only cool this much, maybe it's a limitation of the chip itself.

The stock fan wasn't actually blocked of from the fins, only by the dust buildup, and it seems very hard to clean, especially without removing it. I think that's a rather low down design, it will overclock well at first but is likely to cause problems later on.

I took a picture, I'll put it up when I decide where to have it hosted.

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:37 pm

Here it is:

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:15 pm

And here's the epoxy test in case someone wants to try something similar:

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:22 am

Hi, glad you got it all sorted and working. Pictures are good too 8) . I would have thought 10 MHz was a fair trade for quiet opperation. The limiting factor in your cooling is probably the glue between the GPU die and heatsink.
Seb

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:20 pm

I don't think I lost anything, 360mhz either only worked in the winter, or I overlooked the artifacts, I'm pretty sure this heatsink is more than enough, I'll try pointing a fan at it to find this out.

I don't think the original paste was better than alumina, but I might have put on too much, the uncured epoxy was easy to work with but the ceramique was quite thick, maybe original alumina paste spreads easier.