ati silencer 4

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

ati silencer 4

Post by ryboto » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:47 pm

I just installed it..and oddly, my case temps went up a degree..the card's temps dropped a few...i thought the advantage of the thing was that it removes heat from the case...anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I may have made a mistake....I used as5 on the gpu, as well as the ram....was this a bad idea? should i just use the termal paste that came with the card on the ram??

MonsterMac

Re: ati silencer 4

Post by MonsterMac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:48 pm

ryboto wrote:I just installed it..and oddly, my case temps went up a degree..the card's temps dropped a few...i thought the advantage of the thing was that it removes heat from the case...anyone have any suggestions?

edit: I may have made a mistake....I used as5 on the gpu, as well as the ram....was this a bad idea? should i just use the termal paste that came with the card on the ram??
What videocard are you using?

I wouldn't say it would be odd or dangerous for just your case temperature to go up a degree. Most of the "case" sensors are in bad positions on the motherboard, and in your case it is probably directly above the videocard. Your best way to get an exact case temperature is to measure it from inside your case with a digital thermometer.

It was not a mistake to use ASV on your GPU and ram; that's arguably the best thermal interface material on the market.

If you're not having any hardware problems from the videocard post-install then I'd say my only suggestion would be to use a fanmate to lower the voltage to the silencer as low as possible while still keeping maintaining what you feel is a comfortable temperature for your videocard.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Re: ati silencer 4

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:27 pm

ryboto wrote:I just installed it..and oddly, my case temps went up a degree..the card's temps dropped a few...i thought the advantage of the thing was that it removes heat from the case...anyone have any suggestions?

AS5 is definitely not the problem.

Check the exhaust of the ACVS. Does it feel warm to the touch (esp. after gaming)?

Are your case fans temperature controlled? Is your PSU fan temperature controlled?

Finally, what is the room temperature during the two tests?

j-azn

Post by j-azn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:17 am

any idea if the artic cooler silencer's are available in Canada, perferably the Toronto area

KorruptioN

Post by KorruptioN » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:23 am

Bigfoot Computers in Toronto carries the Arctic Cooling Silencers.