Fanless FX6800 heats up my case... (unsurprisingly)

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

El_Duderino

Fanless FX6800 heats up my case... (unsurprisingly)

Post by El_Duderino » Wed May 04, 2005 4:09 am

Ok, so I went ahead and splurged and got myself a fanless Gigabyte 6800. Unsurprisingly, it generates a lot more heat in my case than my old Voodoo3 :-).

Therefore, I'm in the market for another fan. Right now, I have one intake fan bottom front, one intake right by the gfx card and one intake for the PSU front top (pseudo-ducted).

Instinct tells me I would be well-advised to get an exhaust fan right by the CPU/GPU, but those vents (2) only allow for 80 mm fans. Do you think it would be worth it to buy two 80mm Papsts (my only local option) right next to each other, blowing hot air from the CPU and the GPU out back?

Thanks for any input...

filipcza

Post by filipcza » Wed May 04, 2005 4:59 am

I can't quite picture where the exhaust fan next to the gpu is, but here's what I have done.

I have a tv-card which needs cooling or it won't even work. So I have one nexus 120 on the front bottom, which blows air to the tv-card and out of the case through open pci slot. This seems to work well for me. And I have SLK3000B case, if you were wondering.

So my recommendation is, blow air through the gpu and out of the case. If the exhaust fan is just above the gpu, then it might work well also.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed May 04, 2005 8:42 am

(similar to the previous suggestion)

I think you should make a duct for your video card, especially if you already have an intake fan for it. How many PCI cards do you have?

The duct would have let the air out through the PCI openings, at least one below the video card, and one above it(not for an actual PCi card, the one that I think is meant for ports which don't fit directly on the motherboard, unless some motherboard have expansion cards going up to there).
Last edited by mathias on Wed May 04, 2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

El_Duderino

Post by El_Duderino » Wed May 04, 2005 8:44 am

Hm... Ok, that might be worthwhile - although it will be kind of cramped... I'll check out the forums to see if someone has a working setup I can copy... :-)

Thanks!

grandpa_boris

Post by grandpa_boris » Wed May 04, 2005 10:14 pm

El_Duderino wrote:Hm... Ok, that might be worthwhile - although it will be kind of cramped... I'll check out the forums to see if someone has a working setup I can copy... :-)

Thanks!
i have this card and i did exactly what others have recommended: opened 2 slots open under the gigabyte card and have a 120mm fan directed at the card.