Temp monitor for Gigabyte 6600 silentpipe card?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sundevil_1997

Temp monitor for Gigabyte 6600 silentpipe card?

Post by sundevil_1997 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:25 am

I got the Gigabyte PCI-e 256MB 6600 silentpipe card, and I'm very happy with it. However, being fanless, I'm also more concerned to make sure it stays appropriately cool. I loaded their included VTuner2, but annoyingly, although the manual AND the on-screen help shows me where a temp gage should be...there's none in the actual application! I clicked every button there was, but I never got mine to show what the pictures said it should show.

I loaded Speedfan hoping that it'd detect it, but no luck there...must not be dabbling into video cards yet.

Is there some way for me to monitor my video card's temp? Thanks.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Hello sundevil, temperature monitoring is disabled in the graphics cards bios. You have to modify it yourself.

For retrieving and updating the graphics cards bios, you can use the "Gigabyte @VGA BIOS Writer" utility (bundled with the vtuner). For alter the bios to cater temperature measurement, you can use NiBiTor. You simply check the box for "Enable 6600GT temp monitoring trick" in the temperatures tab.

The above mentioned programs are windows programs, alternative you can use nvflash and a hexeditor. Search the nZone.com forum for more info on that.

If everything works you can now monitor the temp in various programs.

If something messes up your card and makes it unusable it's your own responsibility. Good luck.

PS. I could email you my bios if we where certain we had the same card (GV-NX66256DP) but that wouldn't save you a lot of work, only the NiBiTor using part.

*** EDIT: SpeedFan doesn't seem to show nvidia temperature, I use SysTool ***
Last edited by Christopher on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:13 pm

Christopher wrote:Hello sundevil, temperature monitoring is disabled in the graphics cards bios. You have to modify it yourself.
Ya know....there's times like this where it just hits me how very FAR computers are from being user friendly. How very very far they are from being welcomed by the typical person. How many obscure patches, mods, or fixes are so 2nd nature to us now that we don't even realize how very foreign it would be to someone who, say, goes to Best Buy, buys a piece of electronic equipment, and just has it WORK from the moment it's out of the box......

*sigh* :?

Anyway. Thanks for the help. I HATE taking my hardware's very life into my hands with warranty-revoking work, but I'll probably give it a go. I think we have the same card, but I don't want to have anyone to blame when I screw this up. :wink:

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:28 pm

sundevil I feel your only partly right, because an "ordinary" best buy customer shouldn't worry of the working temperature of his equipment. :) I even think it was not in the "ordinary" customers best interest to bundle the oc utility. I mean why make peoples life more complicated than they are? Well thats my opinion anyway.

Thanks by the way not to set my up as your scapegoat. ;)