Single-slot VGA cooler?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DrJ

Single-slot VGA cooler?

Post by DrJ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:30 pm

My dual CPU/SCSI system is now pretty quiet other than the obnoxious cooling fan on my graphics card (nVidia Quadro FX1000). It looks like the only single-slot options to reduce the noise from the graphics card are those from Aerocase. Is that right? If so, I will ask them about what is needed for my card (which is sort of like a FX5800).

And yes, I really do need a single-slot option.

DrJ

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:45 am

I have noted that the Aerocool VM-101 also takes a single slot (namely, it does not occupy the neighboring one). There have been some discussions of this one in the forums, but it seems basically to be the same idea as those from Aerocase. I'll have to check to see if it would fit.

Are there any others to consider? Would one be preferred over the other for performance reasons?

DrJ

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 am

DrJ wrote:I have noted that the Aerocool VM-101 also takes a single slot (namely, it does not occupy the neighboring one). There have been some discussions of this one in the forums, but it seems basically to be the same idea as those from Aerocase. I'll have to check to see if it would fit.

Are there any others to consider? Would one be preferred over the other for performance reasons?

DrJ
Actually the VM-101 does occupy an extra slot. The bolts that clamp the two parts of the heat block around the heat pipes protrude into the slot below by about 2mm. You might be able to overcome this using flathead bolts and drilling countersinks into the block; the supplied bolts have rather large rounded heads.

DrJ

Post by DrJ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:26 am

Thanks for the reply. It is a shame that Aerocool did not go to the effort to shave off those few mm. It seems like a waste to get so close, and mess it up with something that is so easy to correct. You know the saying that good engineering does not cost any more than bad engineering...

Owing to the vagaries of my system and how I use it, my disk controller resides in a 64-bit slot next to the AGP card. I really can't move it to the neighboring one, and I don't want to lose its use in any event.

DrJ