Zalman VF700 Alternatives for 6600GT AGP?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shimyr

Zalman VF700 Alternatives for 6600GT AGP?

Post by Shimyr » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 pm

Hello. I've got a Gigabyte 6600GT AGP card whose fan is now the loudest component of my system. As it's only worth about $50 these days, I have a hard time justifying spending over half of it's total worth on a mere cooling fan, especially when I've got a mind to buy the 7900GS/7900GT and max out my mobo's graphics capability. But getting rid of the noise is something I'd like to accomplish for now.

Are there any other options for good, silent, 6600GT-AGP-compatible cooling besides the Zalman, or do I need to just buck up and pay the $25-30 newegg is asking for?

mimwdv

Post by mimwdv » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:58 am

Is there some way you can rig up a fan to blow on your card and disconnect or remove the fan it came with? I've got a Zalman on my vanilla 6600, but even that fan was too loud for me and aiming a Nexus 80mm at it keeps it cool enough.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:08 am

Well, if you don't plan on selling the card with the Zalman later on, you could just buy a VF900 and move it on to the next card. A fan swap or a ghetto rig with zipties is cheaper than a new cooler of course, and might work just as fine if you improve heatsink contact. The other options don't get any cheaper than that.

But buying fresh AGP video cards... now that I couldn't justify to myself.

Derfel

Post by Derfel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:57 am

Geforce 6600 AGP cards are a pain to quieten (at least some of them including one I had which was PNY iirc), because of a funny chip position, I got an AeroCool VM-102 which was the only passive cooler which claimed to fit it, but it couldn't fit on the card and in a case (P180) at the same time because of the chip position. In the end like the above poster suggests I just unplugged the fan and put a 120mm Noctua blowing on it and it was fine.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:09 am

Derfel wrote:Geforce 6600 AGP cards are a pain to quieten (at least some of them including one I had which was PNY iirc), because of a funny chip position, I got an AeroCool VM-102 which was the only passive cooler which claimed to fit it, but it couldn't fit on the card and in a case (P180) at the same time because of the chip position. In the end like the above poster suggests I just unplugged the fan and put a 120mm Noctua blowing on it and it was fine.
Yeah, there aren't many coolers that work with the AGP version (certainly not the VF900), due to the HSI chip and wonky card geography.

If putting a different fan on the HS like other have suggested doesn't work you can alway try using a large heatsink (like a slot-1 HSF) and hack it up to fit and ziptie it on, with a large slow fan doing the dirty work.