looking for a good 24" monitor

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:26 am

MikeC wrote:Here's a simple recommendation: BenQ G2400W. 24" D-SUB, DVI and HDMI inputs. Good but not exceptional image quality, according to reviews... still looks very good to me. Excellent text legibility and sharpness. Great value: I paid well under CA$400.
Great recommendation. I am ordering one today. Although it is a TN panel, user reviews at Newegg, HardOPC, Anandtech, Buy.com, and Amazon.com are stellar.

Google "BenQ Store" rather than just "BenQ". Look under 24'' monitors at the index on the left. Add the G2400WD or G2400WD bundle (if you want the Neo Flex stand for added adjustment to the monitor). At the checkout page, enter "thankyou10" in the coupon code box, apply it to the total, and you will get a 10% discount. If you go without the Neo-Flex stand, this monitor can be at your doorstep for significantly less than $400.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:10 am

rpsgc wrote:But... but... it whines!
Not a whit. There was some in the beginning and now it's completely gone, or at least reduced to inaudibility. Seems like some things had to burn in. :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 am

I think the initial whining was from Mike's cohorts - it died down after they got their own 24" monitors. :D

25.5" monitors are really coming down in price as well. Look at the LG halfway down the page in today's Newegg newsletter

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:56 am

Hi,

I think you would would have a very hard time finding a better monitor than the Apple 24" Cinema monitor. It is pretty amazing -- though it is paired with an amazing price: $900. It will have very low power consumption, with it's LED backlight.

florinp3

Post by florinp3 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:07 am

Wibla wrote:look no further: HP LP2475W
That's my recommendation too. Here's another review: prad.de

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 pm

godbreath wrote:
Aris wrote: Idunno about your monitor, but mine accepts a video signal as input and then OUTPUTS a picture on the screen.

Monitors are an output device. An example of an input device would be a keyboard. You do not input anything with a monitor, except maybe if you have a touchscreen.
With regards to the computer, the monitor outputs the signal from the computer, but with regards to the monitor, the monitor receives a video signal, making the video signal as an input.
Aris wrote: I have a 22" wide aspect LCD with "bad TN viewing angles", and i cannot see any difference at the edges compared to the center of the screen.
Try filling your entire monitor with a solid color and see if the edges change color or anything.

And I just bought the dell utlrasharp 2408wfp for $350. Hope that wasnt a bad choice.
Why would i wish to fill the entire screen with a solid color? While this may show you changes in color, its never going to happen in real life. So whats the point? Just because you can prove something is visually degrated, doesnt mean you can SEE that its visually degrated under normal usage. Its the same as the 1080p on a 1680x1050 screen. Sure you can prove its visually degrated, but you cant actually see the degredation under normal viewing usage.

godbreath

Post by godbreath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:15 pm

anyways, if you havnt read, I bought the dell ultrasharp, however, the color is way off. Which calibration software do you guys recommend?

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:19 pm

godbreath wrote:anyways, if you havnt read, I bought the dell ultrasharp, however, the color is way off. Which calibration software do you guys recommend?
i use the software that came with my viewsonic monitor. worked well for me.

idunno about other companies. i have always bought viewsonic.

ame

Post by ame » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:33 pm

I was tring to calibrate it for an hour but wasn't happy, until I realized there are 2 modes in the internal menu. I think its game and cinema (or movie but not sure of the names exactly as i'm not next to it now).
When I swiched modes it alligned perfectly with the professional 20" sony referance monitor (CRT $1200) I use for video editing and color correction.

I can look it up tommorow when I get to the studio...
Why would i wish to fill the entire screen with a solid color? While this may show you changes in color, its never going to happen in real life. So whats the point?
Maybe not a solid color but if an image you whish to edit or correct changes color from top to bottom its not a good enough pannel for me :( . One way of testing is using a solid color. For games or text I wouldnt care... 8)

godbreath

Post by godbreath » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 pm

ame wrote:I was tring to calibrate it for an hour but wasn't happy, until I realized there are 2 modes in the internal menu. I think its game and cinema (or movie but not sure of the names exactly as i'm not next to it now).
When I swiched modes it alligned perfectly with the professional 20" sony referance monitor (CRT $1200) I use for video editing and color correction.

I can look it up tommorow when I get to the studio...
Why would i wish to fill the entire screen with a solid color? While this may show you changes in color, its never going to happen in real life. So whats the point?
Maybe not a solid color but if an image you whish to edit or correct changes color from top to bottom its not a good enough pannel for me :( . One way of testing is using a solid color. For games or text I wouldnt care... 8)
the two modes are graphics and video,
graphics looks better

however, I can never get the white to be truely white. there is always a tint of color in it, and also when i think i finally got rid of the color, the white turns into a very light shade of gray that no brightness can get rid of.

Aris

Post by Aris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:43 pm

ame wrote:
My comments exclude graphical proffesionals. I was speaking about normal usage, like games, text, etc.

graphical proffesionals are in a whole other league, one which accompanies a MUCH higher price tag which is out of the price range of the average consumer.